January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hello from the southernmost town in Germany!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:59 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi there,

my name is Dr. Friedrich Menges, currently living in Oberstdorf, Germany. While I don't see myself as rockhound or even gemologist, I have a live-long interest in stones and minerals. A chemist by education, I also learned (and forgot) a bit about crystallography, the chemical composition of minerals, their use as raw material and the like.
What brought me in touch with gemmology again and again? For over 15 years, I developed and maintained the spectroscopy software SPEKWIN32, which came free for private and academic users. Many of you, trying to make their first steps, advance in or master the use of spectrometers and spectral data for gemstone identification purposes were happy to have this tool available. Last year, I started to newly develop a modernized successor software, called Spectragryph, which I was able to release in Nov. 2016. This software is also free for private and academic use in the standard version. Recently, I implemented spectral database search, which is available since the release of version v1.1 last month.

Not sure if this is seen as too much advertising... Just wanted to let you know that I made some ready-to-use free databases out of RRUFF data, one with over 5000 "excellent" Raman spectra of 1677 minerals, another one with about 900 FTIR spectra. In a direct speed comparison, Spectragryph performed 9x faster than CrystalSleuth, while allowing to use all 55 recognized file formats and search multiple sample files at once. Ok, I have to stop now. If interested have a look at:
http://Spectragryph.com and
http://www.effemm2.de/spectragryph/down_databases.html

Post subject: Re: Hello from the southernmost town in Germany!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Frederich and welcome.
It is an honor to welcome you to our platform!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:50 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Dann "Grüß Gott" nach Oberstdorf!!

Sind wir nicht soweit auseinander....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:30 am 

Marlow wrote:

=; =; Wie weit?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:00 pm 
Established Member

Hi, welcome to the forum!!!
I have used both SpekWin and SpectroGryph: both has been great as cross-platform software: if you need to compile dates from different spectrometers or get your dates in fancy statistic software, easy to manipulate your dates (baseline, normalization...) and, what could be very important, take your spectra files home (usually all commercial software are copy protected and can be used only in computer supplied with spectrometer).

Peters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:26 pm 

Peters wrote:
... great as cross-platform software: if you need to compile dates from different spectrometers or get your dates in fancy statistic software, easy to manipulate your dates (baseline, normalization...) and, what could be very important, take your spectra files home (usually all commercial software are copy protected and can be used only in computer supplied with spectrometer).

Peters

Thanks Peters,
that was my intention all over from the beginning:-) Seems to work... Currently going into live spectra acquisition and spectrometer data control. :smt024
Next level is round the corner:-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:45 am 
Established Member

Agree, it will give an opportunity for gem/equipment enthusiasts to bring in life second-hand spectrometers and the possibility to design in-house systems with affordable and advance predesigned software!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:45 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Friedrich Menges wrote:
Marlow wrote:

=; =; Wie weit?

Mühldorf ( in der Nähe )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:25 am 
Valued Contributor

Wilkommen, Dr. Menges!

I am envious: Chemistry was a career I almost went into, but I chose electronics instead.
Still, I do work with chemistry fairly often, and enjoy it much.
I've even devised and perfected an industrial process, but that's a story for another day.

-Tom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:27 pm 
Established Member

Friedrich Menges wrote:
Hi there,

my name is Dr. Friedrich Menges, currently living in Oberstdorf, Germany. While I don't see myself as rockhound or even gemologist, I have a live-long interest in stones and minerals. A chemist by education, I also learned (and forgot) a bit about crystallography, the chemical composition of minerals, their use as raw material and the like.
What brought me in touch with gemmology again and again? For over 15 years, I developed and maintained the spectroscopy software SPEKWIN32, which came free for private and academic users. Many of you, trying to make their first steps, advance in or master the use of spectrometers and spectral data for gemstone identification purposes were happy to have this tool available. Last year, I started to newly develop a modernized successor software, called Spectragryph, which I was able to release in Nov. 2016. This software is also free for private and academic use in the standard version. Recently, I implemented spectral database search, which is available since the release of version v1.1 last month.

Not sure if this is seen as too much advertising... Just wanted to let you know that I made some ready-to-use free databases out of RRUFF data, one with over 5000 "excellent" Raman spectra of 1677 minerals, another one with about 900 FTIR spectra. In a direct speed comparison, Spectragryph performed 9x faster than CrystalSleuth, while allowing to use all 55 recognized file formats and search multiple sample files at once. Ok, I have to stop now. If interested have a look at:
http://Spectragryph.com and
http://www.effemm2.de/spectragryph/down_databases.html

Welcome to this forum dr , Greetings from Sweden!