Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Do you think Peridot May hold Secrete of Life
Yes 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
No 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: Peridot May Holds the Secrete Of the begining of Life???
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:08 pm 
Established Member

This is really interesting. Several years ago a scientist from NASA used to order those mine run Periodt when we first introduced them. He used to buy 10 Kilogram lots and we were selling them like hot cake online to different folks. I never really cought that i am receiving orders from NASA because i thought it is some hobyiest working at NASA buying. Yesterday, I sent an email out to my subscribers, introducing our Launch of Ebay Store MercariTraders. I got a call from same NASA scientist ordering more peridot and he was kind enough to tell me a story which i thought i should share as i used to share back in mid ninties;;
Ten Years ago, he came to United States to do further research on Peridot as he found out in Germany that there are some pre life organic elements preserved in peridot crystal formation along Olivine. Peridot found in ignious rock may have safegaurd the secrete of life while transforming into crystals. He was looking for funding of 40k or so and he laughingly told me no one wanna give him the funding. He got a break in another research which resulted in predicting Earthquakes almost weeks before they can happen and got his instantanious fame. Now he has been funded over 175k to finnally complete his research. I chatted for long time with him and thought you long haired artists may wanna know that one of those crystals you cut into gem may have secrete of "LIFE".

Have Fun and enjoy cutting and i dont want you to be nervious while cutting... NO you wont hurt any organism. Trust me only My sunny California Cutters are allowed to be nervious as we hug a tree every day. Rest of you just cut and enjoy;; =D>

Qazi
http://www.mercaritraders.com
Please also visit Our newly opened Ebay Store with several hundred individual items. Store Name is MercariTraders and link is available on above website.

Post subject: Re: Peridot May Holds the Secrete Of the begining of Life???
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:07 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

hi there, mercaritraders! not too sure on whether or not peridot may hold the "secret of the beginning of life." is there anywhere on the www where we could read of the reseach? wondering about pallasites now... :wink:

sorry, it's a bit off topic, but, several months ago while watching direct shopping network, the host mentioned NASA discovered pink spinel on the "far side of the moon." here's the link if you would like to read it:

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/moonmars/fea ... -king.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:19 pm 
Established Member

What i Understood from the research article is that of all natural environments where chemical reactions occur that produce organic molecules. The researcer does mention that the dense hard matrix of igneous minerals may appear as the most unlikely place. Yet, his earlier research has shown that a suite of medium- to long-chain fatty acids, C6OC12, can be identified among the organics extracted from crushed olivine single crystals from the COy CO2yH2O-laden high temperature, high pressure environment
of the upper mantle . Hope it clairfy a little bit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:25 pm 
Established Member

Mark i will ask the scientist if i can forward his research paper to others. If he says yes then i will see if i can post all his article here with his name and every thing. I will let you know. He will be excited to know that rock hounders are taking an interest;;

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:06 pm 
Gold Member

I thought everyone knew the secret of life and everything else was 42. :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:59 am 
Gold Member

mercaritraders wrote:
Mark i will ask the scientist if i can forward his research paper to others. If he says yes then i will see if i can post all his article here with his name and every thing. I will let you know. He will be excited to know that rock hounders are taking an interest;;

Shouldn't be necessary. If his research is published, just give us the citation. Why would his name be a secret? Let me guess - is it Freund?

Check out this abstract:
http://www.pnas.org/content/98/5/2142.short

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:13 am 
Established Member

Yea Mark you are right about his name you get 5 stars for good educated guess... can i get the numbers for tomorrow lotto :D I believe the pdf he forwarded me was the proposal for funding that is why i was not sure if i can publish any without his prior permission. I have already written him and he is an exciting sceintist and very excited about this research. I have already forwarded him your link from NASA which was quiet interesting;;;

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:41 am 
Site Admin

I downloaded the entire article from UC Berkeley and must admit it is interesting.
Al Balmer provided a link to the abstract above, but here it is for those who resist clicking:
Quote:
Organic protomolecule assembly in igneous minerals

1. Friedemann Freund*,†,
2. Aaron Staple‡, and
3. John Scoville§

+ Author Affiliations

*Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Institute/National Aeronautics and Space Administration Ames Research Center, MS 239-15, Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000; ‡Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305; and §University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506

Edited by Robert O. Pohl, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, and approved December 29, 2000 (received for review October 27, 2000)

Abstract

C—H stretching bands, νCH, in the infrared spectrum of single crystals of nominally high purity, of laboratory-grown MgO, and of natural upper mantle olivine, provide an “organic” signature that closely resembles the symmetrical and asymmetrical C—H stretching modes of aliphatic —CH2 units. The νCH bands indicate that H2O and CO2, dissolved in the matrix of these minerals, converted to form H2 and chemically reduced C, which in turn formed C—H entities, probably through segregation into defects such as dislocations. Heating causes the C—H bonds to pyrolyze and the νCH bands to disappear, but annealing at 70°C causes them to reappear within a few days or weeks. Modeling dislocations in MgO suggests that the segregation of C can lead to Cx chains, x = 4, with the terminal C atoms anchored to the MgO matrix by bonding to two O−. Allowing H2 to react with such Cx chains leads to [O2C(CH2)2CO2] or similar precipitates. It is suggested that such Cx—Hy—Oz entities represent protomolecules from which derive the short-chain carboxylic and dicarboxylic and the medium-chain fatty acids that have been solvent-extracted from crushed MgO and olivine single crystals, respectively. Thus, it appears that the hard, dense matrix of igneous minerals represents a medium in which protomolecular units can be assembled. During weathering of rocks, the protomolecular units turn into complex organic molecules. These processes may have provided stereochemically constrained organics to the early Earth that were crucial to the emergence of life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:02 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Looks like the basic idea is that the crystals formed a medium by which organic molecules could favorably bind and form long chains...?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:30 pm 
Established Member

Thanks Barbra, how about reading the article you posted from the German Scientist and compared it to what Mark Twain posted NASA link about discovery of Spinal , Olivine etc.. what you think? can you swollow it now atleast at a level that their is legitimate research required? I find it interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

With all due respect, people research a lot of things and publish articles about them....it does not make it fact....
I provided this abstract as a public service for our members, not because I necessarily accept its validity, but because I wanted to clarify its intent.

It is interesting, but perhaps it would be better suited for discussion within a venue devoted to organic chemistry. It is far from a "Gemological" article. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:52 pm 
Established Member

Yup you are right discussing Fatty acids is french to me too. As you said it is interesting to look at Peridot in this respiect and yes it is not a scientific fact yet but hope this study is of some use and may be make us rock lovers more deeper idea of how our crystals their inclusions and other things are so related to how we are today. Thanks for posting the article though;;

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:53 pm 
Platinum Member

Bill Hanneman wrote:
I thought everyone knew the secret of life and everything else was 42. :D :D

When I was 42 I knew the secrets of life and everything else. Then came 43, 44.....

psst...(the secret is ...survive... no hitchhiking required) :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:01 am 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

So there are big mice.