January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:29 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hello all of you. I am actually really happy that you have all "gotten" the intention of this piece. I was only tanjentially involved. However, this piece could have actually exploded in a very bad way, but I took great strides to impress upon everyone involved that we have to try and make sure that we bring this information out responsibly. It is an issue of proper representation and disclosure. On the National Jeweler blog for this story, I have been criticized for having subversive motives.

Best regards to all,
Christopher P. Smith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:19 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Don't fret. I think it's patently clear that AGL's role in this was totally appropriate and a positive force for the industry. It's important that people who break the rules get called out. The only way we can expect the public to have any faith in our industry is if we ensure that we "police" ourselves in a fashion such as this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:01 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

it´s not really hard to get consumers trust . easier way to gain it, is sending competent autorites sacrifice some "goats",who breaks the law and get some media coverage showing that autorities care about consumers,even if they do nothing, but what interestest is the image passed to them.it´s manipulative ?yes. media is manipulative all the time or almost, so for them is just another day of work.
this it will work ?yes for shure.
ordinary example.
holiwood stars have not social acepted behaviour lot of times. people condemn when next good movie of them stars come out , people forget about everything they did.
i´m not talk about only uneducated gemology public but jewlery stores owners who be afraid of be next "goat" to be sacrificed if they cheat consumers.or at least even if they don´t know about treatments surely they will start caring about.
that´s good for industry. less people cheated , consumers confidence rises ,more work for gemologist and job creating for inspectors.
good for everyone.
it´s not straight path so what world is grey :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:45 am 
Site Admin

Hi Chris,
i'm with n00b on this, and appreciate your contribution to the video.. 8)

well i see something is changing here, (in my country, i mean...)
in recent times i saw more and more clients MUCH more informed than some years ago.
especially nowadays, when a customer must purchase something expensive (and this concept is obviously variable depending on the client..), he has a very powerful instrument unavailable before: the NET.
more and more people pretend exhaustive explanations before to leave their $$$ in a jeweleery store. you would be amazed if you knew how many of them went in some high end stores and didn't buyied nothing cos they weren't satisiyied by the info provided.
This, in a way or another will push soon many self-claimed pro to rise their education level about what they sell... and this is definitely a VERY good thing. :D
just my 2C of italian developing market.
ciao
alberto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:44 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

I believe current economic conditions have been strong motivations for many people to research properly into items before they consider spending their money. Customers are becoming more savvy out of the necessity to protect their finances. It also helps educate those with lower budgets who at least begin to start learning what is is they are buying inside their budgets. Fractures filled rubies will be attractive to many, provided they haven't been deluded and believe they have somehow stumbled on a jeweler willing to part with top Burmese stones for pennies. Knowledge is power, and people are being forced to get it, even if only for self preservation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:14 am 
Site Admin

I think we have to clarify what the fracture is filled with and to what extent the "filling" percentage is, relative to the host.