July 25-29: FRANKLIN, NORTH CAROLINA: Annual show; Bellpoint Promotions ; Echo Valley Showplace; Wed. 9-6, Thu. 9-6, Fri. 9-6, Sat. 9-6
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Is this Brandberg Amethyst or Super 7 Amethyst? PLEASE help!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:18 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello there! =)

First off, I couldn't figure out what a "KiB" was, as none of my photos would upload thru this uploader! lol!
So I included links to them thru my crystal

I was actually wondering if anyone perhaps knew anything about my two crystals, or if anyone could help me learn of what they are!!!
I have two VERY large cut and polished stones that I bought as plain Amethyst from seemed to be an inexperienced dealer, that I actually thought to be "Super 7". But looking at the Brandgerg Amethysts as of recent, makes me wonder if perhaps they are actually Brandberg!!! lol They are both heavily included with Hematite, Lepidocrocite, Geothite & Cacoxenite, as well. I've realized from reading, that if these ARE in fact Brandberg, they are HUGE for their kind. I paid very low for the size if they are... I'm just curious if I got a deal or not on my lovely special pieces. LOL! I left this same letter here on another "Brandberg Amethyst" blog I found, hoping to get info from all corners. =) Trying to find people that know about this stone basically...lol =P

The first one I have, is a "Flame Cut" its almost 3 1/2 inches tall.
And the 2nd one I have, which is larger at almost 4 1/2 inches tall is with a "Cathedral" looking cut.
What would one go for this size thats completely cut, polished and naturally formed, do you think?

I am normally, and obviously very good at knowing most stones, as I have a metaphysical shop myself, here online. =) But these ones just elude me! LOL If anyone knows, please let me know so I may label them in my collection correctly! lol Either way, I love them to pieces, and am so happy to gaze upon them every day! ♥

Here, if these links to their photos work, awesome! lol

♦ Flame Cut:
Photo #1:
Photo #2:

♦ Cathedral looking Cut:
Photo #1:
Photo #2:

♦ Inclusions:
Photo #1:
Photo #2:

♦ Size of them both in hand:
Looking forward to any helpful reply!
Namaste,

-Rivaleka =)

Post subject: Re: Is this Brandberg Amethyst or Super 7 Amethyst? PLEASE h
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:31 pm 
Platinum Member

Those are "super 7" and not Brandberg.

Speaking of super 7...what exactly is "super 7"
Isn't it 7 different minerals in a crystal or something?
Isn't it a deposit in Brazil?
I heard some lady named "melody" catchphrased "super 7" and drove up the price 10 times as high as they would normally be worth for a comparable crystal from another locale?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rivaleka and welcome.
I posted your pictures, following the instructions available on the left hand side, entitled:
HOW TO POST A PICTURE

And, I would welcome a discussion on the subject between you and Barrett. He is our resident Amethyst expert. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:05 am 

Barrett wrote:
Those are "super 7" and not Brandberg.

Speaking of super 7...what exactly is "super 7"
Isn't it 7 different minerals in a crystal or something?
Isn't it a deposit in Brazil?
I heard some lady named "melody" catchphrased "super 7" and drove up the price 10 times as high as they would normally be worth for a comparable crystal from another locale?

Hello Barrett =)
Yes, "Super 7" is the combination of Smokey Quartz, Clear Quartz, Amethyst, Lepidocrocite, Cacoxenite, Rutile, and Geothite.
I was told by some other gem site that the "Cathedral Cut" looking one, appeared to be Brandberg, and that the "Flame Cut" one was definitely not Brandberg, and that they thought it to be a form of Ametrine? I definitely do not think that either are Ametrine to be honest. lol

So you think that they are both Super 7 huh?
Any insight helps, as I just want to get my two collector pieces correctly labeled. lol Not to mention I have a 3rd one that looks just like the "Cathedral Cut" one that I am looking to probably sell, as I only need/want the 2 of mine in the photos. =)
But I cannot sell my 3rd, without knowing exactly what it may be! lol But I know that whatever the "Cathedral Cut" one is, my 3rd one (un-pictured) is exactly the same. ♥

So how are we sure they aren't Brandberg Amethyst? Especially the "Cathedral Cut" one?
I've been trying to look at both "Super 7" and "Brandberg Amethyst" to see what looks like what, but its a lot harder than it seemed to know for sure. =(
If you'd like to see anymore photos, or macro shots I'd be more than happy to post more, just to get this correct!!! LOL! =P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:06 am 

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
Hi Rivaleka and welcome.
I posted your pictures, following the instructions available on the left hand side, entitled:
HOW TO POST A PICTURE

And, I would welcome a discussion on the subject between you and Barrett. He is our resident Amethyst expert. 8)

I thank you dear Barbra! =P ♥!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:47 am 

When I first approved your post I just glanced over it and read the super 7 thing thinking, "ow jee, now what?". But now I understand :D

I like your photography Rivaleka! Thanks for sharing this, I'd never heard of Brandberg or Super 7 before.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:48 am 

Tim wrote:
When I first approved your post I just glanced over it and read the super 7 thing thinking, "ow jee, now what?". But now I understand :D

I like your photography Rivaleka! Thanks for sharing this, I'd never heard of Brandberg or Super 7 before.

Haha! =P
Well thank you! And yes, they are both a type of Amethyst, and they are both equally beautiful! <3