January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Petrified Wood Clock
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:24 pm 

If brightly colored, like the material that comes from the areas around the Petrified Forest in Arizona, or particularly interesting patterning, like fossil palmwood, it can be cut as cabochons like other jaspers. But tan/brown petrified wood, though it has the durability, polishability and solidity needed for cabochons has little to no value as a gem because it has limited attractiveness and is exceptionally common worldwide. Is it junk? No. But it's not really a gem. The clock isn't trash or garbage, but it's just a tchotchke. It's cute! But still not a gem. The reason Barry and Madison are being a bit grumpy is that you posted several threads with items that ultimately aren't appropriate for this venue, or at least for that forum section. Really, you would do well to spend some time learning the basics before going all-in on a venue like this (and before spending much money!). We do some education of total newbies here but it's not the main goal of the site by any means. You're clearly at the beginning phases of learning--there's nothing wrong with that! It's great that you want to learn! But there are better ways of picking up the early stuff than asking for identifications on forums. You would probably do best to go to gem and mineral shows if there are any in your area. It's the best way to see a wide cross section of things and dealers are often happy to tell you about their wares.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

I've been known as a pretty salty cracker myself and you'll notice that in the CSI section there are instructions not to post unless you can supply more information than just a picture.
And, musse, you were posting a lot of pics with no info. And the pictures were not of gems, they are minerals and curiosities. That can piss folks off......especially me.

Now, you have some tools at your disposal so you can supply information or make identifications yourself.
I'm sure you will always be able to recognize travertine, glass slag or petrified wood when you see it in the future.

A wee scratch with a pocket knife can tell you if something is harder or softer than 5 1/2.
Muratic (hydrochloric) acid will determine if something is a carbonate or not.
Looking at nicks or chips on a specimen with magnification can determine fractures or cleavage planes.
Glass feels warmer than stone.
etc.

So from now on, I expect more information than just a picture. :wink: And let's post this info in the right place on our board. Thanks.

Yes, I heard about the Pope in the Philippines. What a turnout! What a day!

PS. I just read Scarodactyls post and he is right on. Visit shows, visit shops, ask questions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:05 pm 
Established Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
I've been known as a pretty salty cracker myself and you'll notice that in the CSI section there are instructions not to post unless you can supply more information than just a picture.
And, musse, you were posting a lot of pics with no info. And the pictures were not of gems, they are minerals and curiosities. That can piss folks off......especially me.

Now, you have some tools at your disposal so you can supply information or make identifications yourself.
I'm sure you will always be able to recognize travertine, glass slag or petrified wood when you see it in the future.

A wee scratch with a pocket knife can tell you if something is harder or softer than 5 1/2.
Muratic (hydrochloric) acid will determine if something is a carbonate or not.
Looking at nicks or chips on a specimen with magnification can determine fractures or cleavage planes.
Glass feels warmer than stone.
etc.

So from now on, I expect more information than just a picture. :wink: And let's post this info in the right place on our board. Thanks.

Yes, I heard about the Pope in the Philippines. What a turnout! What a day!

PS. I just read Scarodactyls post and he is right on. Visit shows, visit shops, ask questions.

Thanks for your info, yes l will do my bedst in the future.

2 people where kild because of the pope, one was kild fixen a speaker, rain power together not good. one young girl got a speaker in the head because of hard wind, yes shit happens and then you die....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
2 people where kild because of the pope, one was kild fixen a speaker, rain power together not good. one young girl got a speaker in the head because of hard wind, yes shit happens and then you die....

How tragic, and how true.