Time to catch up on reading, lapidary projects and binge watching TV. Stay home. Stay well.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: "old" pet. wood
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:14 pm 
Platinum Member

.Check out this big piece of pet. wood. I went over to one of my parents friends house about 2 months to help install some handles for her elderly father to help him get in and out of the shower. When I finished she had brought out his big piece of pet. wood and said I could have it. She knew I liked rocks and thought I would give it a better home. She(Jan) told me the story behind it: She got it from one of her parents friends who gave it to her when they were in there 90's and running out of time. Her parents friends got it from India back in the 1920's when they traveled all over the world. It was given to them as a gift from the village elder of a remote village some where in India and he had told them it had been in the village for over 500 years as a symbol of good luck. The elder told them that the gods had either blessed it or left it for the village for goodluck or something along those lines..Jan did not remember the whole story with the piece because it had been so long but she said it was something along those lines. Pretty cool. Sucker weighs a ton..it's about to break through the table it's sitting on in the pics
I don't know much about pet. wood but is it usually this smooth or do you think thats from rubbing or handling it..maybe like Jan said it was some sort of good luck object that was rubbed for some reason or another..

sorry this pic a little out of focus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:22 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Now that's cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:13 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Very cool! I am a pet. wood lover myself! I have all different kinds from all over the USA including opalized, agatized, rainbow wood, etc. of all colors. Don't have very much from outside the USA, sadly. But I do have, in total, a few Kilos of different pet. wood materials, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:25 am 
Platinum Member

I'll add a favorite fossil to the show-and-tell. This is a pyrite pseudomorph (false figure or cast) of an ammonite from Germany. The ammonite died and was buried in sedimentary material that later hardened into limestone. When it deteriorated it left a hollow "mold" in the stone which was later filled with pyrite, resulting in a nearly perfect 3-D representation of the original creature.

The molds are cracked open to reveal metallic versions of ammonites that swam in warm pelagic seas covering parts of France and Germany 170 million years ago. This fossil is only about 3 inches in diameter but it's directly related to the enormous fossil cephalopods found in Canada that yield gem "Ammolite."

www.artcutgems.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:23 am 
Platinum Member

That is excellent, ROM! Thanks for the good description. That is a spectacular specimen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:05 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Oh BOTH are SO neat!!!! Thank you for posting them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:46 am 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

Amguy,
I'd say if it is that old it would have been rubbed by the worshipers' hands, seeing as it is only in 2 specific areas. Neato. :P

Rom,
that is simply wicked!!!

Most of the fire on the wall has been put out :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:22 pm 

thanks for sharing the story behind the petrified wood, amguy. heck, if it's been blessed by the gods and rubbing it is for good luck, i'd have splinters in my hands by now.

love the ammonites, rom!!! pseudomorphs are really 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:51 pm 
Platinum Member

Years ago in Utah's Uinta Mountains I dug some fascinating fossilized horn corals (below). The location has now been closed to public collecting if my information is up to date. These corals were replaced by bright red silica and are coated with a mineral I think is calcite. Their radiating structure is clearly visible externally and on the ends that have been polished.

And a group of polished specimens:

www.artcutgems.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:59 pm 
Platinum Member

Just awesome, ROM....and I thought you were just a gem guy :D ..the color is real strong and the radiating pattern is very unique...I don't think i have seen anything like them before..thanks for the pics

Post subject: Re: "old" pet. wood
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:25 pm 
Gold Member

amethystguy wrote:
. It was given to them as a gift from the village elder of a remote village some where in India and he had told them it had been in the village for over 500 years as a symbol of good luck. The elder told them that the gods had either blessed it or left it for the village for goodluck or something along those lines.

I wonder what they did to be given a gift which would seem to have had considerable value to the villagers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:22 pm 

8) rom, those fossilized horn corals are cool!!

y'all show us more, please!! i'm enjoying this section of the forum.

i like to see material like the fossilized coral in cabs, too!! along with other pseudomorphs. (and rom's got some killer cabs!) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:27 pm 
Platinum Member

Thanks for the comments AG and GK.

AG - I have many interests, gems among them, and have done a lot of active collecting of minerals, fossils and gem materials. I used to have a yard full of specimens but time and many moves have pared it down to a few small and portable boxes.

GK - I used to cut cabs from the horn coral when it was abundant but its source was included in a National Monument some years ago so it's now completely off-limits. Some material is finding its way to market from old collections but it's expensive and only a small percentage will yield clean cabs with good color. Personally I think the little material available should be preserved as specimens. But that's just my view and I'm sure cabs are available somewhere. I have a few odd pieces I may slice and cab sometime because they're not great specimens.

I have some interesting pseudomorphs of tree limbs (now chalcedony) I tried to post but ImageShack doesn't seem to be uploading my images at the moment so I'll have to wait until it becomes less temperamental.

www.artcutgems.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:40 pm 
Platinum Member

ImageShack's over its snit so here are the Wyoming limb casts (pseudomorphs).

The original trees were buried in very hot ash, probably from the last upheaval of the Yellowstone "hot spot" supervolcano to the west. The wood burned away immediately but left voids in the ash that were later filled with chalcedony leached by hot water from silica in the ash. The chalcedony at this locality is grayish to grayish-blue.

Notice the impression of bark that's still visible on some pieces. Also note the spot where a chalcedony "twig" broke away from one of the "limb" pieces.

www.artcutgems.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:58 pm 

8) rom--those are neat!! chalcedony is fascinating, and i enjoy admiring the different patterns in agates and jaspers.

you've got some nice "dino" cabs on your website, too!!