January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: GO 2011 Calendar(s)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:39 pm 
We get some wonderful photos put up here of inclusions, other features of rough stones and of finished jewels.

I'd like to propose that we select by vote some of these to reproduce in a GO 2011 calendar. Barbra has at least not ruled out this idea, provided (so I understand) that there are no pics of nuts or melons. I have found a net source that will produce A3-size calendars with the customers' own photos at GBP14 each (before quantity discount and shipping costs).

First steps would seem to be as follows:

1. A quorum of support for the idea and an indication of the number of calendars that supporters of the idea might wish to order (minimum order one) at a price of USD 25 plus postage. Any surplus money to be held by GO and use for some improvement of GO.
2. Whether we would like two alternative types of calendar (no extra cost). My own thought is that images of inclusions and of features in rough live naturally together but that pics of finished gems are really in a different category. What do folks want, all-in-one or two types of calendar shots?
3. Agreement of GO Admin to the project and provision of the wording for a GO headline.
4. Selection by the members of up to 12 images, either of inclusions/rough features or finished jewels. Those chosen for reproduction in either one or two alternate calendars will be determined by majority vote. A nomination of photos, along with an indicaton of the number of calendars required (min one copy) constitutes a vote.
5. To be ready for Jan 2011, we need to complete these preliminary steps asap (within 7 days), after with the winning selections will be announced in the forum and the agreement of the owners to their reproduction in a GO 2011 calendar at no charge obtained.Where agreement cannot be obtained promptly, an alternative photo may be selected.
6. The winning selection(s) will be published in the Forum. Orders via PayPal invited and a bulk order placed on the producer (minimum size of order - one!) within 10 days.
6. Forum members (or others) wanting to order calendars after the selection process is closed can do so up to 23 Dec 2010.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

Post subject: Re: GO 2011 Calendar(s)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

The issue is that the resolution necessary for print is far greater than the 72dpi for online.

We would need excellent quality high res shots, or else our calendar would look poopy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:55 pm 
Barbra Voltaire wrote:
The issue is that the resolution necessary for print is far greater than the 72dpi for online.

We would need excellent quality high res shots, or else our calendar would look poopy.

Yes. With permission to reproduce, authors should be asked to supply high-res files. If we have a favourable first level of response, I'll contact the mfrs tomorrow to get the image specs they require.

Fall-back position could be to go for an A4 size calendar (or even desktop - though I'd be sad to see that).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:38 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Great initiative! Can you tell us if the company has a policy on shipping international orders?

Well, since 95% of the inclusion pictures seems to be owned by less than five members, we can just hope that some of them agree to it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:46 pm 
Jung Kee wrote:
Great initiative! Can you tell us if the company has a policy on shipping international orders?

Well, since 95% of the inclusion pictures seems to be owned by less than five members, we can just hope that some of them agree to it!

Well that's two of us :D

Shipping question is difficult to answer because:

- Single copies will post airmail (say 7-10 days anywhere in the world at various but modest rates).
- Anyone wanting bulk orders will probably wish to ship as a parcel (more expensive).
- Anyone wanting 48 hr delivery to *almost* anywhwere in thee world can have it - at a price.

Since there are now two of us, I'll see what the printer wants for postage tomorrow. If the rates are a rip-off, I'll place the whole order in my name and re-mail out privately individual orders at cost. In the case of EU/EEA resident members, the cost should be insignificant for small orders . N. America also should be reasonable.

I'll adjust the shipping cost search as individual orders appear here.

With regard to 'rights' issues, there is no question of paying for a licence to use any image for this calendar. There will be an acknowledgement with each pic and there will be no licence to reproduce other them for the GO 2011 calendars. All are free to ask that their pic(s) are not used at all and that will be respected.

Doing a quick count on my fingers, we have at least 10 posters of pics of inclusions or other features in mineral rough in 2010 and maybe as many again of posters of pics of finished jewels. And there is still time for others to post now to post their own favourite shots. I can't see any 'admin' problems... All we need to do is to find out who is interested.

However, we need to be quick as the 'Christmas Rush' will soon be on us. We need to place the order not later than the end of next week, I think.

Barbra, if you are listening, what is the most appropriate way for people to post to the board, the selection of pics that they wish give their vote to?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

WE can certainly post pics here, although, the resolution for print would need to be higher.
One can save higher resolution images via pdf

There are calendar software programs available:
http://www.digi-labs.net/calendarkeyfeatures.shtml

An artsy member could just print something up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:24 am 
Barbra Voltaire wrote:
WE can certainly post pics here, although, the resolution for print would need to be higher.
One can save higher resolution images via pdf

There are calendar software programs available:
http://www.digi-labs.net/calendarkeyfeatures.shtml

An artsy member could just print something up.

'Vote' selections can be put up to the forum at 500x500 (or less) pixels. On selection, full def files can be sent to me , you, or whoever, as an email attachment prior to production.

If any one wishes to undertake the purchase of suitable paper, ring-binding at (say) A3 format, procurement of cardboard tubes and to print, assemble and post out, that would be fine. Anyone?

If we want the work done for us, I'll post the postage rates of the suggested printer later today.

There is another option, which is, to minimise shipping costs, we agree in forum the photo selection and arrange production and mailing out on a state by state basis......

Or people can just select their favourites, obtain their own licenses and high def files from the owners - and 'Look Mum, no costs!'

What, if anything at all, do folks want?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Let's start with some pics.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:33 am 
Barbra Voltaire wrote:
Let's start with some pics.

Quelle bonne idee! The pics we have - but votes we need! :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:45 am 
Site Admin

:shock: ?? Where are the pics? ??
I don't see pics. :?

I think they need to be in one area....like here would be a good idea.
:D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:48 am 
Site Admin

yes but it would be good to change the topic to a sticky or announcement one just to be more visible.... JMO
ciao
alberto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:51 am 
Site Admin

Good thinking. I've made the thread an Announcement.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:56 pm 
Barbra Voltaire wrote:
:shock: ?? Where are the pics? ??
I don't see pics. :?

I think they need to be in one area....like here would be a good idea.
:D

Well... they are spread where folks chose to post them. Perhaps most can be found in one of the following sections:

- Identification of Stones with Overlapping Characteristics
- Questions for the Experts
- Stone and Inclusions Photos
- Synthetics and Treatments
- Colored Stones
- CSI. Colored Stone Identification
- Gemology Project
- Fossils, Minerals and Curiosities
- Loose Gems, Jewels and Specimens.
- Somewhere else - you name it! (but if you liked it you should know how to find it) :D

I suggest that the voting could be organised as follows. Each person wanting to vote, finds and selects the 12 photos, chosen from those posted in 2010, that they would most like to see in a GO 2011 superb wall calendar.

They then vote (once per person) by posing to this topic a list of the links to the 12 photos they choose (this may need some textual guidance to assist the identification of a single pic at the link. So, against each link add, in text, the poster and the date/time of post. This will give Barbra (or whoever) enough to ID the photos and the posters and obtaining the requisite permissions and hi-def files for reproduction.

The final selection (after permissions obtained) can all be posted in a Jan-Dec list in this topic (at low-def) and orders taken for centralised production and dispatch (if necessary - see below).

Only for reason of control of the hi-def files, I'd favour a centralised single production - but if the file owners were happy, we could go for Heinz57/home low cost/free production/delivery.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:09 pm 
Gold Member

Mmmhhh, OK, this is my entry:

Of course it's my trusted Priday Moss. :P

It's curious that both cabs (each with two pics of some details) come from the same slab, that was divided into two sections by some matrix.

I've the Hi-Res image that at 300 dpi (the resolution I'm usually requested for publications in scientific journals for gray-scale images) is ~11 inches wide (and 15.8 Mb as .tiff with LWZ compression! Well, but a decent .jpg is only 1.6 Mb, I'll keep this one I guess).
I usually shot for online publishing and archiving purposes so my resolution is not the best. But joining 4 pics is a good trick ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:52 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

maialetto wrote:
I usually shot for online publishing and archiving purposes so my resolution is not the best. But joining 4 pics is a good trick ;)

Which calls for one more question: Which format will the calendar be in? It helps when you choose pictures to know if they'll be cut down to fit a square format or if they need to be rectangular! :D

Nice pic Marco!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next