Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Just Whatcha need.....
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:50 pm 
Platinum Member

http://www.labx.com/v2/adsearch/detail3 ... umb=452581

For this instrument $1,000 is free. When nobody takes it you might be able to get them to pay you to take it away.

I don't know what it is. Probably an Auger Electron Spectrometer. Brian?? Its close to you. I will help you dismantle it but you will need to bring some sturdy grad students for the heavy lifting.

Probably just the thing for analyzing those pesky Be treated sapphires. :lol: :wink:

Post subject: Re: Just Whatcha need.....
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:53 am 
Gold Member

G4Lab wrote:
I don't know what it is. Probably an Auger Electron Spectrometer.

Great ID, there, Gene. The dome-shaped thing on top definitely is encasing a hemispherical electron energy analyzer. Lots of power supplies in the racks that you'd need to operate the analyzer and an electron gun. But I don't see any NIM bins or CAMAC crates... hmmm, probably those empty spots in the one rack where someone has already scavenged 'em.

G4Lab wrote:
Its close to you.

Whats even more bizarre is that it is right next door to my PhD university. But nobody I know there would've used that rig... maybe it comes from engineering (material science)?

G4Lab wrote:
I will help you dismantle it but you will need to bring some sturdy grad students for the heavy lifting.

You can tell that rig is built to be moved without dis-assembly... those rings on the corners are for lifting by an overhead crane. And the footers underneath the red frame can raise it enough to add casters.

I used to build, modify, and shift those sort of rigs around for a living. Even shipped one from England to Italy and back.

G4Lab wrote:
For this instrument $1,000 is free. When nobody takes it you might be able to get them to pay you to take it away.

For the right lab, the hemispherical analyzer might be worth rescuing even without the electronics. Other than that, lots of bits to scavenge, but not worth selling individually. It is amazing to think that setup cost around a quarter million when new.

Funny you should post this. With the wrap-up of my visible light spectroscopy grant, I've been thinking about getting back into photoelectron spectroscopy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm 
Platinum Member

It's sad when the entropy of the universe reclaims such an interesting piece of equipment.

I dismantled an ICP which had electronics in the same "livery" I think this thing might have been made by Allied Chemicals' analytical instrumentation division. The instrument we had was early eighties vintage. I wanted to repair it but when I got inside I found optical filters and windows solarized by exposure to the UV of the plasma emitter. Too far gone. no parts available. So we scrapped it. Even scrapping these things is really a lot of work. It was about four 19" rack panels wide and about five or six feet tall.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:16 pm 
Gold Member

G4Lab wrote:
It's sad when the entropy of the universe reclaims such an interesting piece of equipment.

Sad, indeed. No one around to maintain the beast, so all that effort and expense is lost.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:58 pm 
Platinum Member

http://www.labx.com/v2/adsearch/detail3 ... d2tHjvCam4

Here is another newer looking one. :D