January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Any one heard or know about such diopside?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:30 pm 
Valued Contributor

Marlow, thank you. If publication is in German language then no problem, I would like to read it. I am better in German reading then English.. :)

About getting some samples - no worries. I will make sure you can have these, if no luck in Munich... :)

PS: I see... Zwei ungewöhnliche neue Mineralfunde aus dem Ural... :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:33 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

@Barbra

No problem - I will order this magazin and translate it.

In a few days St. Marie aux Mines will start - maybe this material will be there.

Hope I can make some nice pics and post them here. Munich show is great but St. Marie is soooo special - worth to visit!

Excellent food, wine and gems!!!

http://www.sainte-marie-mineral.com/english/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:39 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

@GSK

Perfect - my german is much better then my english :^o

I try to find it in St. Marie or order it...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:25 pm 
Valued Contributor

Marlow, I don't know if someone will exhibit that material in St. Marie, but I know for sure that 4 pieces will walk there around while kept in pocket before getting to post office to be sent to me.. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:17 pm 
Gold Member

I'll be in Sainte-Marie too and I will join my efforts to those of Marlow to find this material.
If there is some tenebrescent diopside hiding there, it won't escape us ! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:01 pm 
Valued Contributor

Isi, good luck in you hunting! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:49 pm 
Valued Contributor

Well, sooner then I could expect it, parcel arrived...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:20 pm 
Valued Contributor

Today whole day spent for just one rock, largest from group-photo.

All rock double-sided, diopside crystals are from both sides. I saw tenebrescence effect, but honestly to say - not easy to catch by eye. After I have held rock outside on the balcony under sun-light, after returning back to room fading was faster then my eye were adopted from sun-light to in-room light. Really just a few seconds. The only way I could see it - I held it trough a little bit opened window outside but my eyes were "inside" and did not affected straight sun-light. So I was able to catch these few seconds of fading but was not able to photograph.

Later when new 100V/220V transformer arrive (old one burned out), I will check on tenebrescence using UV-exposure.

Also color change of affect is here! Weak, but still noticeable! Only playing around just one rock I mentioned that greenish crystals are tenebrescent, but I can not say they have CC-effect. Violetish crystals are not reacting to sun-light (at least), but shows clear change of hie to light purple (pink). I think it will be same with all others.

On the pictures below you can see color change of effect. Greenish also looks different, but I am not sure I cal say their hue changes. I thin it is just shifting of tone.

As day light for photography has been used studio day light source 5600K with manual settings on camera, as incandescent light has been used quartz halogen yellow lights 3200K with manual settings on camera. Yellow undertone on pictures has been removed using Photoshop while correcting image as much as possible close to what my eyes see...

After I finish my gaming with crystals, all can and should be sent for further advanced testing and analysis. First 2 pieces already left in Europe and delivered to researcher. But I did not see these and don't know how these looks like, are any violetish presented or not.

2 sides of one rock. Different background I presume affected a bit different color- :scheme, so even after correction result are a bit different. But in real crystals on one side are much more intensively colored then on other.

Another 3 pictures has been taken using microscope. All under 40xmagnification, FoV ~ 6.0mm. Except stacking and cropping no other editing... First and second images are of approximately same area, violetish zones in crystal changing color to pink, used reflected fluorescent light and fiber-optic light 3200K. Last picture is just a picture. 3 tiny crystals sticking out on the sharp end of rock.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:55 pm 

Wowza! What gorgeous pics! There must be some really nutty chemistry going on in that deposit--I wonder if there are any other oddities coming out of there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:13 pm 
Valued Contributor

"Bazenovskoye" deposit of asbestos, 60 km from Yekaterinburg, Middle Urals, Russia. Deposite of chrysotile asbestos, developed as open pit since 1889 is the largest and richest in the world in terms of reserves, a unique length and strength of the asbestos fiber without any harmful impurities riebeckite and tremolite fibers. Confined to the lenticular ultramafic massif, which stretches submeridionally 30 km and a width of 3.5 km. From the west and north it borders with an array of gabbro, from the east and south - with granitoids. Along the contacts developed powerful talk-rich band and schistose serpentinite. Asbectos strata confined to steeply dipping fault zones, traced to a depth of 1000 m.

In addition of chrysotile asbestos at the deposit has been found more than 120 minerals. The field is known unique samples of blue brucite. Here you can find some of the garnet group of minerals, primarily grossularite from light pink to orange-red colors, as well as chromium grossularite intense green color. Occasionally there are crystalline brushes idocrase and chlorite. Are common findings of calcite and aragonite, a variety of differently shaped crystals of diopside. Noted the findings of godlevskite, baddeleyite, devilline, xonotlite, licazite, piroaurite, plomberite, pectolite, gerhardtite and other rare minerals. They were also made sporadic discoveries of native gold and silver.

Minerals are being found regularly:

Brucite, Vesuvianite, Grossularite, Diopside, Kasatkinite - new mineral, Magnetite, Rosenkhanite - (large crystals up to1,5 sm lenght), Ssaybeliite, Tatarinovite - new mineral, Tobermorite, Tomsonite-Ca, Tochilinite, Tremolite
Tobermorite, Fillipsite-(Ca), Chalkosite, Chislevudite, Chlorapatit, Chrizotile-asbestos, Chromite, Zoisite, Shabazite-Ca, Shamozite, Shorlomite, Epidote..

This is quick translation from geo.wiki.ru
Sorry if some mistakes - I do NOT understand half of words even in Russian and some minerals names see now first time in life.. :)

Last edited by GSK on Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:16 pm 
Valued Contributor

And thank you, Stephen!

I will photograph and describe all other too...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:42 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Awesome!!

I have to wait till Munichshow. I didn't see them in St. Marie...not enough time

St. Marie this year was extremely hot !! Normally I don't drink beer but this time it was the best you can do...

We found many and very nice gems and met nice people - a great show!!

I def. need more days next year!! And more money...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:02 am 
Valued Contributor

Heh, Marlow... The time and money - except of emotions the only things we never have enough in life.. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:25 am 
Valued Contributor

There is another rock I photographed yesterday. Nicest for my eyes small piece of matrix with larger crystals.

Still too difficult to get correct color under incandescent light on the image. I tried to edit in Photoshop, but could not find right way, I am not good with this tool. Greenish crystals are in real look more green, violet ends ov a few crystals turn to be more pink then on image.

This is under minimum available magnification, 15x, under mixed reflected and fiber-optic illumination.

This is under 100x, FoV ~ 2.3 mm, reflected light.

This is fine miniature twinned as it looks like crystal with something like grown tubes or needle-like inclusion, difficult to see.. Mixed reflected and fiber-optic, 160x, FoV ~ 1.0 mm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:29 pm 
Valued Contributor

I am expecting some more samples arrive soon. So total will be over then 10 pieces different size, rich of crystals with showing both tenebrescence and color change of effect. Some maybe facet grade maybe cabochon grade larger crystals are presented on new coming samples.

All are available for research if any one will would like to take them and do it.