January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Need Help to Sell Large Alexandrites and other small sto
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:23 pm 

Assuming that the material is a star with one prominent ray than the rest, the inclusions in transparent material (quartz, corundum) that produces the star are so fine that the rays aren't usually prominent and appear thin. The thicker rays usually occur in opaque and transluscent materials but in highly transparent material, I have yet to see one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:10 pm 

I have seen fairly broad/blurry rays in rose quartzes. I am not saying that is what this is, though, and I agree it looks quite odd.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:23 pm 

Indeed I agree that there are broader/blurry stars. And just because I haven't seen them in eye clean transparent quartz doesn't mean it doesn't occur. However, I think you got the word right Stephen, the right term is odd, as most of these broader/thicker rays in transparent stones usually occur with at least some slight visible needle or silk inclusions and in case of cat's eye, running across the ray. I have as well seen blurry/ broader rays without the perpendicular inclusions but they are usually in transluscent stones where there would be very fine microscopic inclusions, making the stone lose transparency, thus the translucent/silky look of the body.

Attached photo is a transparent cat's eye apatite with visible inclusions running across the ray.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 29.84 KiB | Viewed 849 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:51 am 
Sorry guys. I removed this post. People take the wrong impression about me when I post these stones. I don't want to look stupid.

Thank you!

Last edited by PAGemstones on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:32 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

I think you don't understand...

If somebody here is able to "help" you do you really think it is for free??

Btw. - I can't help you.

As Barbra said contact an larger auction house - they help you and get paid from you which is fair.

It is like selling a rare historical car or an exclusive estate. You need specialized people and it is not for free.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:01 am 
Gold Member

I thought I smelt smelt the first time this person posted and it still smells a bit fishy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:02 am 
Marlow wrote:
I think you don't understand...

If somebody here is able to "help" you do you really think it is for free??

Btw. - I can't help you.

As Barbra said contact an larger auction house - they help you and get paid from you which is fair.

It is like selling a rare historical car or an exclusive estate. You need specialized people and it is not for free.

It is a business and I know it. For the alex i know the route. We'll see!

Last edited by PAGemstones on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:10 am 
allen wrote:
I thought I smelt smelt the first time this person posted and it still smells a bit fishy.

I was in the forum for a week and i am still here. Still posting. If i were trolling you, i would have already vanished. And do you really think that i have time to play with you guys? Heck! If someone really wanted my Alex that person would do their own testing before buying. So I can't play with anyone. And I won't. Think about it. I know i have a rare piece. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:35 am 
Also guys, People have colored stones that if you see, you will not believe that they exist. Best/rarest stones never come out to the public. Those are in someone's bank locker or somewhere safe as you guys might already knew. My attempt is to bring those out to the public while have a profit motive.Then even though most people can't but those, they can still appreciate the creations of nature. So don't doubt when someone has a rare stone. I COULD BE real!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:59 am 
Gold Member

I am a patient man and will see how this all plays out in the end. If what you have is real, it is most certainly blockbuster material.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:51 am 

PAGemstones wrote:
allen wrote:

I was in the forum for a week and i am still here. Still posting. If i were trolling you, i would have already vanished. And do you really think that i have time to play with you guys? Heck! If someone really wanted my Alex that person would do their own testing before buying. So I can't play with anyone. And I won't. Think about it. I know i have a rare piece. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

It's because you started with "How rare is this really?" with an Alex bigger than what the Smithsonian have. For such rare stones you also didn't give a background on how you acquired those, so maybe you can start with this?

PAGemstones wrote:
Also guys, People have colored stones that if you see, you will not believe that they exist. Best/rarest stones never come out to the public. Those are in someone's bank locker or somewhere safe as you guys might already knew. My attempt is to bring those out to the public while have a profit motive.Then even though most people can't but those, they can still appreciate the creations of nature. So don't doubt when someone has a rare stone. I COULD BE real!

You may have lots of unicorns at hand. As you said, it could be real, but it could also be misrepresented, fakes, misrepresented stones or fakes that you think/believe are real (this happens in the industry more often than you think), or whatever. However, you are in the midst of people who have spent a chunk if not most of their lives in colored stones and top industry players. The stones you have if real, would have easily been featured in gem mags or at least, in the blogs and articles of the gem labs. The people here are the same people that would have probably dealt with these rare stones to your source/collector/dealer, one way or another or along the acquisition chain. I wouldn't easily discount the collective experience of the group, who have seen and analyzed literally thousands of stones not commercially available or viable.

I, too, am patient. I will see how this plays out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

By removing your posts and pictures, you have wasted not only my time and bandwidth, but all of our members time who have made the effort to read your posts and respond.

I'm disappointed in you, PAGemstones.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:47 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Alexandrite and trolls - best friends....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:39 pm 
Platinum Member

He says...."Also guys, People have colored stones that if you see, you will not believe that they exist. Best/rarest stones never come out to the public."
and
"So don't doubt when someone has a rare stone. I COULD BE real!"
I chuckled at this statement. Not through any fault of PA gems, as he doesn't know the lay of the land here.

I was trying to think of a fun analogy to compare that statement, on this forum, and how "ironical" :lol: :idea: :mrgreen: it is to those in the know.
GemologyOnline has been my corner bar for gems on the rocks, for many many years now. I have not one ounce of experience with gemological tools, yet I feel like I am amongst friends and fellow gem junkies who have no quarrel with any half cocked post I make. I really wanted to learn the chelsea filter, for Miss B's sake, since she finds them to be the best tools in a gemmo's arsenal #-o :mrgreen: [-X [-o<

PAgemstone, these folks on this forum know all about stones and have seen it all,pretty much.
No need to remind people on this forum that sometimes large stones pop up in unexpected places...99% of the time, it's fakes, frauds, or imitations being passed off as something else.
I asked David Weinberg, at Multicolour.com, about the alex buddy posted....he said...oh, for those not in the know, David is the man behind the website..."Alexandrite.net". I liken it to asking Dick Hughes about rubies and sapphires, as to David Weinberg for Alexandrite.
He said he is pretty sure there are larger alexandrites, and the Smithsonian doesn't have the biggest. He may join the thread at some time he said.
As a side note....when I last contACTED HIM, I asked about russian alexandrite that the guy "Steve76", or whatever he is called, kept posting on PS and here, saying he got the best deal on true russian alex...this and that...blah..blah...like we have all surmised before and know to be true, 95% of the alex out there these days is not Russian. David told me that he hadn't seen a Russian alexandrite in 15 years, when I asked 4-5 years ago.

How did PA gems acquire his stone again? Whats it's origin? Could the reports be bogus? They are old, and unless it was locked away in a safety deposit box, you would have thought this stone might have popped up at some point, with some expertise attached. PAGems makes it sound as if this "gem" was just kicked around the junk drawer in a kitchen somewhere. How rare is the size, you said? Most normal people would have had it insured already, and known how unique and special it really is. Stones like this don't get passed down as family baubles and heirlooms for the kids, not without knowing about it first.
I am still thinking something not right here.

PAGemstones....I have an idea...I bet if I messaged Chris Smith at AGL, and asked him about testing this 70ct alex, he would personally handle it himself, and see that it's under great care during it's lab time. Maybe it's a 70ct one, but the color change has got to be screwy or it's maybe all jacked up inside....something.
Here is a 22.50ct alexandrite from Orissa, India, that is clean and cuttable...well shaped too. I helped sell it for my India contact, if I recall...no kickback either...ha

Attachments:
DSCN9223.jpg
DSCN9223.jpg [ 57.82 KiB | Viewed 737 times ]
DSCN9218.jpg
DSCN9218.jpg [ 56.98 KiB | Viewed 737 times ]
DSCN9210.jpg
DSCN9210.jpg [ 63.6 KiB | Viewed 737 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:40 pm 
Platinum Member

same stone

Attachments:
22.50ct a.jpg
22.50ct a.jpg [ 21.68 KiB | Viewed 737 times ]
DSCN9195.jpg
DSCN9195.jpg [ 53.43 KiB | Viewed 737 times ]
DSCN9192.jpg
DSCN9192.jpg [ 57.82 KiB | Viewed 737 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next