New Mineral Named After GIA’s John Koivula
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: It is rough market, but tourmaline is still the one for me!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:37 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

I am a bit down, because a notable event has happened. For the first time in over 20 years my principle supplier out of South Africa has nothing I want in tourmaline rough, regardless of price, on his latest inter net pages. The small number of pieces he offered for sale either came from old stock and I have already cut some or Tanzania. Tanzania does not have the pegmatites for
Elbaite and all its wonderful colors. My dealer did have the typical greenish yellow Dravite and the rightfully prized , but misnamed chrome tourmaline from Tanzania. They will not satisfy my craving for a color fix. Oh and I almost forgot, he did have a bit of medium pink, that probably came from Mozambique. Still nothing like the "old days". I think anyone who loves color in gems should look hard at tourmaline, now, because it has to go up in price if the rough market continues to be a desert. I would probably be saying that even if the market was great, like when copper was discovered in Mozambique, because tourmaline can be beautiful.

Now why am I still, exclusively, cutting only tourmaline, when there is a world of color in other gems. It is the ability of tourmaline to surprise me with dynamic color and its distribution in the gemstones. I use as an example the cutting of one of the last pieces of rough from the past. The rough was a well formed crystal that had been clipped into a longer ratio pencil. It was only about a gram and my dealer had sent it, to try and keep me working during the drought. The worst problems with the rough was from the clipping and it looked like a medium pastel orange that was not very dichroic. A easy call for an emerald cut and away we go. The cutting went smoothly, except that it turned out to be prone to scratching. While focusing on getting my facets flat and completely polished I did not really check the color of the tourmaline.

Well late last night the little gem was finished, cleaned in alcohol and wrapped in a tissue because it was time for bed. With age I don't sleep more than about 4 hours at a time and in the middle of the night I finally LOOKED at the gem under an incandescent light. The ends of the emerald cut were a bright richer pink and the sides were the pastel orange I expected. Now the tone levels were expected to a degree, but how did I miss the pink? This morning I found out the little gems secrete. Under a cool morning sky, the tourmaline was all happily clothed in a shear pastel orange gown. And the ends were not noticeably darker than the sides of the emerald. It was a nice start to the day and keeps me waiting for the next big discovery in tourmaline. I am sure that the tourmaline will be a bit different in a surprising way.

Bruce

Post subject: Re: It is rough market, but tourmaline is still the one for
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:14 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I hope you are coming to Tucson - the variety in tourmaline last year was very nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:06 am 
Established Member

Hey Bruce.
Have you found a supplier of tourmaline?
If not I can help you with tourmaline.
I source most stones from East Africa in my office in Kenya.
I might not have so much rough right now. Maybe just over 40 grams green tourmaline. And a small yellow golden piece. All good for cutting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

This sort of sales ad is not usually approved for new members.
I made an exception because Bruce might find it interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:47 pm 
Established Member

Ahhh sorry.
I really don't want to sell here. Think it's to small parcels then. But that small batch of chrome and yes I liked what Bruce wrote.
Kisses Barbara :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:11 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Thanks for an offer of help for an old tourmaline addict. I presently have to forgo any purchasing efforts because I need to focus on having jewelry made from some of my gems. It has not been easy to find a goldsmith that is willing to deal with me economically. Other factors like, three children in need off help and an old house have pressed me also. But I have found a creative soul and I think my quest for beauty in tourmaline will make progress.

Bruce

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:35 am 
Established Member

Anytime Bruce you write what you want.
Any size, colour and price. I will see if I can help.
Don't want to have you to suffer any withdrawal symptoms :lol: