It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Painite with ruby
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:04 pm 
Established Member

Painite with ruby in Routh

Weight: 28ct or 5.6grams.

Stone: Painite with Ruby - Specimen.
Colour: Brown, orange red, Ruby on matrix Red pink.
Refractive Index: 1.7, 1.8
Relative Density: 4.0
Hardness: 8
Crystal group: Hexagonal
Tenacity: Fracture
Origen: Burma
Mined: 1980s - Mislabel as sapphire on matrix specimen, Needs a coa.

Attachments:
11111100000.jpg
11111100000.jpg [ 2.36 MiB | Viewed 2229 times ]

Last edited by offimatrix on Fri May 24, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Painite with ruby
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

How was your "painite" identified?
Where was it found?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:21 pm 
Established Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
How was your "painite" identified?

Got it years ago from my home teacher that was a gemmologist from
sheffield university back in 1980s, Has small ruby's on matrix that glow under uv.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

In the 1980's ?
Sorry, I'm a skeptic. The time-line doesn't work. Until the early 2000's only a couple examples were in existence.

I'd get a contemporary lab to verify.

Caltech wrote:
Painite

Painite was once considered one of the rarest minerals on earth. The first painite to be recognized as new mineral (painite #1) was a sample discovered in Burma in the early 1950's. For many years only two crystals of this hexagonal mineral were known to exist. Its chemical formula is ideally: CaZrBAl9O18. However, it also contains minor amounts of chromium and vanadium that contribute to the orange-red to brownish-red color of the mineral plus traces of iron. In addition to zirconium, minor amounts of titanium and hafnium also are part of its composition. While it often appeared in lists of gemstones, only two faceted gemstones had been reported prior to mid-2005. The discovery of a new locality in northern Myanmar in 2002, and the discovery of major new localities in the Mogok area led to the recovery of several thousand crystals and fragments. Nearly complete crystals remain few in number and high quality facet material remains rare, although several hundred crystals and pieces have been faceted to date.
Read full article: History of Painite

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:51 pm 
Established Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
In the 1980's ?
Sorry, I'm a skeptic. The time-line doesn't work. Until the early 2000's only a couple examples were in existence.

I'd get a contemporary lab to verify.

Caltech wrote:
Painite

Painite was once considered one of the rarest minerals on earth. The first painite to be recognized as new mineral (painite #1) was a sample discovered in Burma in the early 1950's. For many years only two crystals of this hexagonal mineral were known to exist. Its chemical formula is ideally: CaZrBAl9O18. However, it also contains minor amounts of chromium and vanadium that contribute to the orange-red to brownish-red color of the mineral plus traces of iron. In addition to zirconium, minor amounts of titanium and hafnium also are part of its composition. While it often appeared in lists of gemstones, only two faceted gemstones had been reported prior to mid-2005. The discovery of a new locality in northern Myanmar in 2002, and the discovery of major new localities in the Mogok area led to the recovery of several thousand crystals and fragments. Nearly complete crystals remain few in number and high quality facet material remains rare, although several hundred crystals and pieces have been faceted to date.
Read full article: History of Painite

Only 2 was made in to gem stones in 2005, one I have i got in late 80s 90s was a museum specimen with a list of other different rough stones from Burma, It was listed as a sapphire on host rock but turns out to be painite with rubys on host. lots of photos around and uv shows rubys but it does need to be sent off for a coa. Was from Old Weston park museum just before it went though a refurbished, My teacher at time had no room and was giving stuff away lots of different stones on host rock.