Dec.20 to 22:SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA: Wholesale and retail show; Gem Faire Inc.; Scottish Rite Center; Fri. 12-6, Sat. 10-6, Sun. 10-5;
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Burma Ruby
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:18 am 
Hello, it’s a pleasure for me to be part of this community. If I’m posting this in the wrong section please feel free to delete it.
Few months back I received a nice Burma Ruby as a form of payment for a work I did. Now I’m really considering to make a ring to give to my mom for Christmas.
I’m just curious about the value that this stone might have. I brought it to GIA my self to ask for a certificate. Here few pics and video Of the stone including the certificate.
I thank any of you in advance who want to give me some opinion about this stone and approximately the value of it.. even I don’t have intention to sell because I just love it.
Regards,
Fabri

Gia certificate:
https://imageshack.us/i/plhE1B9oj

https://imageshack.us/i/poVVKqVXj

Video stone:
https://youtu.be/6i77MdNtcdQ

Some pics:

https://imageshack.us/i/pojbxrZ5j
https://imageshack.us/i/pnfMAXrWj
https://imageshack.us/i/po7bOAQMj
https://imageshack.us/i/pn6j3G6bj


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Burma Ruby
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:34 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:22 pm
Posts: 19942
Location: San Francisco
Hi Fabri
Moved post to a more appropriate category.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Burma Ruby
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:22 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran

Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 9:42 pm
Posts: 809
I would recommend taking it to a GIA GG and paying to get it appraised.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Burma Ruby
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:34 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:23 am
Posts: 876
Location: GemClub
do you need an appraisal report? you can always checkup for local appraisal but i think it you want hear verbally how much it worth?

_________________
Farshid Roshanravan
http://diamondclub.us
Blog: http://roshanravan.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Burma Ruby
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:50 pm 
roshanravan wrote:
do you need an appraisal report? you can always checkup for local appraisal but i think it you want hear verbally how much it worth?

Hi, thanks for your reply. I’d love to do as you suggested but I’ll be traveling for work everywhere for the next 2 months and the stone is in my safe box back at home.. i will do it when back. Now I was more looking for an opinion based on the pics and certificate I posted regarding the value that this stone might have ... just because I’m extremely curious:-)


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Burma Ruby
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:54 pm 
Barbra Voltaire wrote:
Hi Fabri
Moved post to a more appropriate category.

Ok. Thank you :-)


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Burma Ruby
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:13 am 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:23 am
Posts: 876
Location: GemClub
Fabri wrote:
roshanravan wrote:
do you need an appraisal report? you can always checkup for local appraisal but i think it you want hear verbally how much it worth?

Hi, thanks for your reply. I’d love to do as you suggested but I’ll be traveling for work everywhere for the next 2 months and the stone is in my safe box back at home.. i will do it when back. Now I was more looking for an opinion based on the pics and certificate I posted regarding the value that this stone might have ... just because I’m extremely curious:-)

you can have different approach for pricing, to be honest i don't understand yours. judging from the cert it's good quality and nice color and cut , although in one picture it seemed like to be included. the size is small but if you look for such stone it can go from 10000 up to 20000 give or take, it doesn't mean they buy you at this prices.
there is also no indication if your Ruby is classic Burma or not ( Mong Hsu Burma Rubies prices are less than Mogok Rubies) but seeing residue it surely is modern heat not traditional low heat so it is most probably Mong Hsu.
again nothing is here is concrete we are just sharing our opinions.

(even labs reports are not, we have a Padparadscha has 20 years old report and has been sent for update and now they don't give Padparadscha anymore!? :| :? :evil: )

_________________
Farshid Roshanravan
http://diamondclub.us
Blog: http://roshanravan.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Burma Ruby
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:15 pm 
Hi, yes you are right it’s almost impossible to tell the value of a stone from a certificate. I just saw a pinkish ruby with pigeon’s blood certificate. I really don’t know how it is possible.
Mine is very nice, is included a little bit but very transparent and with nice brilliance. As you said it is a Mong Hsu ruby, I just asked.
I don’t want to sell it, it’s just a present to my mom. I just wanted to fulfill my curiosity about what values might have. So you think cn be less than 10k based on what you saw in the certificate and video ?or 10k is the minimum.. what your experience tell you ?


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Burma Ruby
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:51 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:22 pm
Posts: 19942
Location: San Francisco
Here is a copy of the GIA report:
Image
According to The GemGuide, I think the stone would retail at about $20,000/carat, about $43,000 for the stone, perhaps more if the right customer was found.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Burma Ruby
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 pm 
Oh there is a way to see the certificate online. I didn’t know that! Thanks for your comment Barbra.. honestly I‘m having different opinions from everyone. Some say 10k, some even 4.5k, some 15k, some 20k to 40k. I’m very confused. I’m just trying to learn, asking questions but it’s really hard.
Btw I didn’t know the Gem Guide before, thanks for that. It seems an accredited website. I wasn’t considering that my stone could be up to 40k even I saw uglier stones for sale around this price. I’m getting at the conclusion that is more like how much someone is willing to pay..
thanks a lot again. I’ve asked also a GRS certificate and will be ready in couple of month, just to know exactly the amount of the residues. Hopefully it’s going to be an H, or H(a).


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Burma Ruby
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:24 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:23 am
Posts: 876
Location: GemClub
Fabri wrote:
Hi, yes you are right it’s almost impossible to tell the value of a stone from a certificate. I just saw a pinkish ruby with pigeon’s blood certificate. I really don’t know how it is possible.
Mine is very nice, is included a little bit but very transparent and with nice brilliance. As you said it is a Mong Hsu ruby, I just asked.
I don’t want to sell it, it’s just a present to my mom. I just wanted to fulfill my curiosity about what values might have. So you think cn be less than 10k based on what you saw in the certificate and video ?or 10k is the minimum.. what your experience tell you ?

does the stone has inclusions? naked eyes visible?
i said 10k to 20k, but depending what market we are looking for if you look for it in retail x2 to x3 times more. i am in wholesaler market so i based my price on that market.

_________________
Farshid Roshanravan
http://diamondclub.us
Blog: http://roshanravan.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Burma Ruby
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:47 pm 
Roshanravan, yes the stone has some inclusion but almost impossible to see with naked eyes. . It looks transparent with very nice brilliance and color. Only if you look at the stone at certain side and with certain light you hardly might be able to spot some little inclusion on the corner. But you really need to look at it very very carefully. With the lent you can see some inclusions. Anyway with naked eyes looks almost clean to me..


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Burma Ruby
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:55 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:23 am
Posts: 876
Location: GemClub
Fabri wrote:
Roshanravan, yes the stone has some inclusion but almost impossible to see with naked eyes. . It looks transparent with very nice brilliance and color. Only if you look at the stone at certain side and with certain light you hardly might be able to spot some little inclusion on the corner. But you really need to look at it very very carefully. With the lent you can see some inclusions. Anyway with naked eyes looks almost clean to me..

Fabri wrote:
Oh there is a way to see the certificate online. I didn’t know that! Thanks for your comment Barbra.. honestly I‘m having different opinions from everyone. Some say 10k, some even 4.5k, some 15k, some 20k to 40k. I’m very confused. I’m just trying to learn, asking questions but it’s really hard.
Btw I didn’t know the Gem Guide before, thanks for that. It seems an accredited website. I wasn’t considering that my stone could be up to 40k even I saw uglier stones for sale around this price. I’m getting at the conclusion that is more like how much someone is willing to pay..
thanks a lot again. I’ve asked also a GRS certificate and will be ready in couple of month, just to know exactly the amount of the residues. Hopefully it’s going to be an H, or H(a).

i want to change this famous quote to 'value in the eye of the beholder' when you want to sell (for cash or flip it) the value is obsolete because the winner is who ever pays more.

let me clarify more, when you are in jewelry industry there are different tiers and levels, and for each the pricing is different, for example for your Ruby the Production and sale is like:

Exploration & Mining -> Suppliers of Materials -> Cutting/ Polishing of Gemstones -> Suppliers -> Treatments of gemstones -> Dealers -> Manufacturing -> Wholesale & Distribution -> Dealers -> Retailer -> Final Consumer

each of the above tiers can have different pricing based on regional and marketing and their experiences/expertise/professionalism also branding strategies,
unlike diamonds there is no centralized marketing and market price control for Colored Stones

so i think you got the idea how vague your question might be! which one of those tiers are we talking about? and in what level?

let me give you an example. How much (do you think) is the price of bottled water?
depending on location/situation it's different. some places give it to you for free, if you buy all of the inventory directly from distributor you probably pay 1 Cent per bottle, if you buy bulk from Costco it's 7 Cents per bottle, if you buy from Super Market it like $1, if you buy from Airport or some fancy Restaurant it's up to $15, did you know that the cost having 1 bottled water delivered to the International Space Station is like $10000?!!!!!! the same bottle of water can be from nothing to $10000 and it's not even as complicated as Jewelry and Gemstone business which involves much more tiers and levels.

_________________
Farshid Roshanravan
http://diamondclub.us
Blog: http://roshanravan.tumblr.com/


Last edited by roshanravan on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Burma Ruby
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:11 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:22 pm
Posts: 19942
Location: San Francisco
All of Farshid's comments are spot on.

The value I quoted was a retail replacement for insurance replacement. If you needed to replace it or buy a matching one for a pair of earrings, I believe you would be quoted the higher (highest) prices.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Burma Ruby
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:34 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 658
Farshid's comments are correct, which is why I never even try to give a price for something posted on line. There is no way to be reasonably accurate.

The only correct answer seems to me to be: Depends......


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Gemology Style ported to phpBB3 by Christian Bullock