January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Kornerupine!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:48 am 
Valued Contributor

Theres quite alot of this material coming out of Sri Lanka at the moment. No where near as nice as the material posted earlier in this thread but still quite lovely. This is a couple from a parcel I received a while back

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:01 am 

Dioptase wrote:
TheL wrote:
Joe Henley sold some at the end or begining of this year can't remember. I was very sad because I knew he was about to post them on his site and was eagerly awaiting for them going online, I fell asleep and by the time I woke up most of the bigger/best colored ones were sold... sad sad day

Steve Ulatowski has (had?) that material as well. You should check with him.

I did buy a small piece a year ago from him. Unfotunately the color was sooo poorly represented I have not bought anything from his site since. The image and the real stone were no were near, twice as much saturation in the photo.
It came as a surprise to me since he is so well known in the industry, I can only guess the photos were old and highly doctored? not sure.

Have not had a problem at all with Joe on the other hand, photos and real life items are very close.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:51 am 

It's not always easy to convey colors accurately in a digital photo. Did you return it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:49 am 
Gold Member

Tanzania has been producing some mint color Kornerupine recently. I had a small lot included in my latest shipment just for fun. I will likely keep a couple for my personal collection, and pass the rest off to my students for theirs. Each piece about 1 gram in size rough, and looks like nice colors. It should be here this week.

Attachments:
Kornerupine.jpg
Kornerupine.jpg [ 139.94 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:00 am 
Established Member

I’ll note the rough I posted was from Joe Henley. I found them very accurate to the photos and videos.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:14 pm 
Established Member

Oh, also an update might be fun.

I've had one of the pieces of rough from the parcel faceted.

This fellow: https://i.imgur.com/R5agUEy.mp4 (3.75 ct)

The rough was shaped in a way that faceting lost pretty much all the purple. But the intense teal-y green is still delightful.

It has a few specks, but I'm thrilled to have a faceted korn of this size (1.12 ct)

Still practicing my microphotography, but I'm fond of these little paths of crystals.

A bit greasy and linty I'm afraid...this was before I realized I should be more thoroughly wiping these clean before looking at them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:24 pm 

Stephen, No I did not return it, not worth the hassle. Totally agree it is hard to capture real colors but this was too far off, if i was selling and the colors are off I would add some desaturation in photoshop to match the color seen in real life.

JackaTrick, I thought I recognize that parcel from Joe :P very nice, am jealous. I believe Arya may have bought some from him too?!? probably the ones I was going to buy :cry:
And yes that is one of the unfortunate things about pleochroic Gemstones, they can loose most of that nice color juxtaposition depending on which axis is used. In your case, if the stone was deeper you would see the purple on the periphery, otherwise mostly teal. Cutting 90 degrees off you would have ended something close to the lovely tanzanite from Lisa posted at the beginning of the thread. However, size would have been sacrificed a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:20 pm 
Established Member

TheL wrote:
And yes that is one of the unfortunate things about pleochroic Gemstones, they can loose most of that nice color juxtaposition depending on which axis is used. In your case, if the stone was deeper you would see the purple on the periphery, otherwise mostly teal. Cutting 90 degrees off you would have ended something close to the lovely tanzanite from Lisa posted at the beginning of the thread. However, size would have been sacrificed a lot.

Yep yep. And I'm still pleased as punch with the stone I've got.

I'm hoping that this rough: https://i.imgur.com/0EUxHcE.mp4
manages to get both some of the green/teal and purple together :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:31 pm 

Indeed that one will end up with a bowtie effect if a brilliant style pavillion is used, or a tourmaline like look if a simple stepped pavillion, square outline style is used. Either way that will be a nice stone!!
stop making me jealous!!

ps on your link, is that the cutter adding the comments on the video?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:45 pm 
Established Member

TheL wrote:
Indeed that one will end up with a bowtie effect if a brilliant style pavillion is used, or a tourmaline like look if a simple stepped pavillion, square outline style is used. Either way that will be a nice stone!!
stop making me jealous!!

ps on your link, is that the cutter adding the comments on the video?

Oh, and whoops. Yes. A friendly lapidary went through and evaluated my rough for cutting.