Time to catch up on reading, lapidary projects and binge watching TV. Stay home. Stay well.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Pink sapphire question
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:41 pm 

Hi All and Happy Holidays!

I have a vivid pink/orangeish red sapphire, (per RI) which because of it's lack of large inclusions and high chromium content, I always assumed was synthetic. It has a color shift from vivid hot pink to vivid orange. This stone (and another larger one) were popped out of gold at a pawn shop more than 10 years ago (when they were given to me) and many are far older.

Since I finished the Colored Stone course, I've started re-evaluating many of these stones that I thought were synthetic. Some have been natural and unheated and a few BE diffused within an inch of their lives.

This one has me stymied; I've looked at all the inclusions for natural and synthetics and treated sapphires that I can find and don't see anything that looks like what I'm seeing.

Part of the surface looks crackled like it has been exposed to high heat, but I still see indications that appear to be partially dissolved silk. The girdle isn't melted, but there appears to be surface pitting. At one angle, I thought I was able to see dissolved silk it going in two different directions, but couldn't get a picture.

I know you guys have answered questions before about BE treated sapphires, but many of the links provided were dead. I put it in an immersion cell and didn't see any orange rind, not that that's diagnostic as the newer BE treatment can go all of the way through, but I'm not sure how long that treatment has been around.

Anyhow, here are two pictures of the inclusions; one of what looks like partially dissolved silk and the other of the crackling. I apologize for the quality; it's the best I can do with what I have.

Any feedback would be welcome; I'm trying to learn. This thing is only 1 carat, so no matter what it is it's not worth much.

Thanks to all of you!

Debbie

Attachments:
silk.jpg
silk.jpg [ 252.8 KiB | Viewed 260 times ]
crackles.jpg
crackles.jpg [ 458.7 KiB | Viewed 260 times ]