January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:52 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Understanding quality in Emeralds - for your Emerald Jewelry.

Firstly, there is no such Quality chart on the internet such as ours at Navneet Gems. Our experienced gemologist Navneet Agarwal, has put in all the efforts himself to create these quality chart one by one to really explain what quality means in Natural emeralds. For this reason, this chart is here, for those who never can understand quality in emerald.

All the different qualities of Emeralds are explained here. This is no brainer, but coming straight from terms we learnt at GIA. ( Gemological institute of America) We have made as many varieties of grading as we have seen in the real Gemstone world; especially the Emerald world.

Share your thoughts!

Attachments:
Quality-of-Emerald-explained-via-pics-Chart-by-Navneet-Gems.jpg
Quality-of-Emerald-explained-via-pics-Chart-by-Navneet-Gems.jpg [ 119.81 KiB | Viewed 713 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure there are other charts such as this, most likely several.

This chart is far from even scratching the surface of emerald quality.

It is a promotional tool made specifically for your business.

Gemstones are NOT an investment
You have 8 profoundly subjective varieties of A quality stones. They are all the same color (and we all know emeralds are NOT all the same color). Your chart doesn't address treatment, origin, cut quality......

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:41 pm 
Gold Member

My thoughts are not pleasant, but I am happy to share them.

That is exactly the kind of quality grading that gemologists are working so hard to get away from. It is so easily used in deceptive sales tactics.

Since your grading criteria explicitly states that "Color, Cut, Polish, Symmetry are all equal" then the only characteristic being graded in your chart is clarity. Since i cannot read the textual information under each quality in your chart, I don't know if you are considering of clarity enhancement treatments in your grading of clarity. This is important both conceptionaly, and legally in many jurisdictions.

My personal standard is that any time I see the phrase "investment quality" assigned to any gem quality grade (or in any gemstone context) I assume the seller is engaged in fraudulent selling.

You know that there are existing clarity grading standards from recognized international organizations that take all of the things I mentioned into account. Why not follow one of these standards. Otherwise you are not creating an educational resource, but strictly a selling tool to take advantage of uneducated buyers.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but it is the reality of the gem World.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:03 pm 
Gold Member

My opinion is the same as Barbra's and Steve's.
Nothing more than your opinion on what you need to sell your stones to your customers or innocent passerby for only one purpose.
Australian Opal is and has been in this same situation of grading black opal with a couple of the more prominent dealers trying to dictate pricing on their own selling greed and attempting to push it to the rest of industry with out any input from the industry.