January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Burmese Spinel
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:34 pm 
Valued Contributor

Thanks Barbara. That's a more civilized way of putting it. Appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:14 pm 
Gold Member

Mohmand wrote:

And I am not the only one whose posts contain queries or info about a certain gemstone. There are others too, but haven't seen anybody being branded a 'con'. So not sure what caused all the commotion and brain fade? 'Surely you must see that'!

Anyway, thank you again for the links. Perhaps these would be more helpful.

You must see from my posts that my point was not the stones. It was your claim of resources not being available to you when they clearly are.

Others who post stones are not making such false excuses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:55 pm 
Gold Member

Mohmand wrote:
@ 1bwana1 @glhays Not sure what I did or said to get you both into a tizzy. Relax gentlemen, calm down. I am not an expert like you guys and neither am I a con who wants to sell stones. If I had intended to sell stones, there are sites like eBay or Amazon where I would have put them up for sale, not on this forum. I joined this to gain knowledge about gemstones b/c I like these but don't have much expertise in them. So no need to make hilarious and dodgy assumptions.

In this post, I learned that the stone in question is not well-polished. Had no idea what a cutting and polishing grit is! Only knowledge I had was of diamond paste used for polishing stones which I shared, one that I couldn't find in any hardware store that I looked for. So the hmmm.... was in context of finding that paste. Anyway, thank you for the pointers.

But gentlemen, AVOID POSTING RUDE comments. How would you feel if I were to label you a con without any proof? Where have you witnessed me conning somebody? Respectfully stated, no need to don the Sherlock Holmes cap and try your hand at making assumptions. Obviously you both are poor at that. Simply put, if you disapprove of something, better to remain quiet than trying to denigrate somebody without even knowing him or her. I respect the opinion of everyone on this forum, regardless of their caste, creed or nationality. Expect others to do the same.

Thank you. Have a good day.

@mohmand, First there isn't a tizzy and not sure where you are coming from with this.

Second this is your posting, your the OP "Original Poster"

Title: Burmese Spinel
Content: 2+minute YouTube video of a red stone in tweezers....
That's it, that is "your" the post... No remarks, no other related info, no nothing.
The following posts there after speak for themselves.

I was starting to give you some due credit, my intent with Sri Lanka was not to say you were, have or any thing else other than the mass majority of gemstones are cut and polished well everywhere, nothing is unavailable completely.
Well, until I read the final words of your quoted post. Not so unsavvy as one is being led to believe, "I believe". And like usual wants to come out smelling like a rose.

I am not an expert, never claimed to be, not even a formally educated gemologist, but an experienced industry professional and gem cutter that has seen a thing or two over quite some time.

Take the following fictitious post with a grain of salt!

Title: Colombian Emerald (Not going to maybe insult you if I say it is from your prized region)
Content: 1 Image
That's it, that's the post. By me, a relative no one of the world of gemstones in a whole, posting on a gemology forum board, where many fascinated gem lovers look for information on a possible who knows for what reason they seek information on a gemstone. For this they our looking for an Emerald of fair quality that will not break the bank for a upcoming special event and any info is good info. They stumble upon a post, my post. They say, see that's what it should look like. This is all speculative but is about the point of the matter.

Now the IMAGE:
Attachment:
N-EM-031.jpg
N-EM-031.jpg [ 137.35 KiB | Viewed 475 times ]

I would hope that the professionals here would see the post, speculate as to why and for what reason did this post come to be here on this public forum of Gemology. I know they do, they are many of the industries foremost professionals from around the world. Highly trained and educated in all aspects of these trades. Posts like this are always under the microscope of a gemologist.

My arbitrary first posted opinion would be, Nice color, looks extremely clean, the cutting could have been done a bit better, the polish is okay but not great.
Other opinions begin to get posted.
No one ever questions in the post if it is actually an emerald, regardless if it is Colombian.
Information seekers go on there merry way looking in the marketplace for there emerald with this belief they saw what they want.
They are not going to find their emerald like this one, unless they are sold some nice #013 Light Emerald NANOSITAL.

This is a stone I cut, for letting buyers of the rough see the color they can expect from the rough. (Not very proud of my cutting on this one either)

The point is, that my first come to mind question is on your post was Burmese Spinel, really!! who says so you Mohmand. UnSavvy relative nobody of the gem world in a whole. I know a guy who knows a guy. Your post "Burmese Spinel" 2 minute YouTube video.
We opine on the polish and the comments to follow and somehow your the good guy. Typically I would not even venture to look at a video posted like this, except Danielle gave it a thanks and the comments of 1Bwana1.

Remain quiet, wither away, go away, do not comment is not going to happen any time soon in the gem world as a whole.
How about posting some content that doesn't lend itself to constant skepticism, with some information that validates its existence and authenticity.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
But gentlemen, AVOID POSTING RUDE comments. How would you feel if I were to label you a con without any proof? Where have you witnessed me conning somebody? Respectfully stated, no need to don the Sherlock Holmes cap and try your hand at making assumptions. Obviously you both are poor at that. Simply put, if you disapprove of something, better to remain quiet than trying to denigrate somebody without even knowing him or her. I respect the opinion of everyone on this forum, regardless of their caste, creed or nationality. Expect others to do the same.

You, Mohmand, are confusing rudeness with professional observations and insight.

And furthermore, our established members can don any hat they choose to make threads on this platform informational and accurate. That is the core intention of this forum.

re: "better to remain quiet "
I equate silence with agreement. Consensus is assumed when there's no evidence of disagreement.

To infer that your posts are being unfairly targeted on GemologyOnline based on caste, creed or nationality is absurd and offensive to me. Stop making excuses for your lack of knowledge and resources.

Take advantage of all the educational videos available online produced by GIA, Gem-A, Richard Hughes, etc.