January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Tanzanian Sunstone
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:07 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

All the questions about andasine prompted me to have this stone photographed. Have not seen this material in the market in several years. What do you sunstone experts think: www.rwwise.com click on gallery, gemstones.

Post subject: Sunstone
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 am 
Platinum Member

Nice looking stone... I had a very nice piece of Tanzanian Sunstone that had less of the hematite in it, so I was able to facet the stone. Made a very attractive stone. I would love to get a hold of some more of the rough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:10 pm 

These people had some for sale a little while back, but I see it's off the site now. You might keep an eye on their site, perhaps they'll have more.

Post subject: Re: Tanzanian Sunstone
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:07 pm 
Valued Contributor

Richard W. Wise wrote:
All the questions about andasine prompted me to have this stone photographed. Have not seen this material in the market in several years. What do you sunstone experts think: www.rwwise.com click on gallery, gemstones.

Hello Richard,

I have to agree with Gene. I prefer less hemitite inclusions and some that are blue and green along with the orange and red.

BTW did you get my telephone message?

Regards,
Maurice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:17 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Maurice,

No, didn't get any message, but then we are closed until tomorrow. Will check then.

The inclusions look denser in the image for some reason, are you saying ther are some with more body color or are you talking about dispersion? Is there much of it around?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:42 pm 
Platinum Member

Here's a picture of the piece I had.

[url] http://www.precisiongem.com/Largegems/331.jpg
It finished up at 8.44 cts. I didn't have it too long, it got sold pretty fast to a guy who is a collector and buys odd stones.[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:56 pm 
Valued Contributor

Precision Gem wrote:
Here's a picture of the piece I had.

[url] http://www.precisiongem.com/Largegems/331.jpg
It finished up at 8.44 cts. I didn't have it too long, it got sold pretty fast to a guy who is a collector and buys odd stones.[/url]

Hi Gene,

A very nice stone. I found your address and I hear a 14ct peice of blue tourmaline rough was sent to you today.. Please let me know when it gets their.

Regards,
Maurice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:03 am 
Valued Contributor

Richard W. Wise wrote:
Maurice,

No, didn't get any message, but then we are closed until tomorrow. Will check then.

The inclusions look denser in the image for some reason, are you saying ther are some with more body color or are you talking about dispersion? Is there much of it around?

I like the ones that have less hemitite inclussions and some of the hemitite are different colors, as in the picture from Gene.

I called to tell you ove an emerald that was recut today with the wall street Journal watching to to and artical. We had purchased the 100ct rough a few months ago and had it done in COlumblia. This cutting left a few eye visible inclussions near the periferals. It is now copmpletely clean. It's the best Muza stone I have ever seen. It was 16.8cts untreated. It was recut to a perfect eye clean 14ct stone and is being wholesaled at $100,000/ct. THis is a once in a lifdtime stone. I heard you were looking for a large perfect Muzo Stone.

Regards,
Maurice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:48 am 
Valued Contributor

Any images for us poor people to drool over?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:43 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I like Gene's stone as well. I bought a couple like that in the initial purchase.
What is the current status of the deposit. Are cutters still getting rough. I didn't note any at Tucson this year.

And an emerald for only 100,000 per carat. Do they take VISA? I could really use the miles!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:11 am 
Gold Member

MJO wrote:

I called to tell you ove an emerald that was recut today with the wall street Journal watching to to and artical. We had purchased the 100ct rough a few months ago and had it done in COlumblia. This cutting left a few eye visible inclussions near the periferals. It is now copmpletely clean. It's the best Muza stone I have ever seen. It was 16.8cts untreated. It was recut to a perfect eye clean 14ct stone and is being wholesaled at $100,000/ct. THis is a once in a lifdtime stone. I heard you were looking for a large perfect Muzo Stone.

Maurice

MJO,

Please give us some pics! Before and afters from rough up!!! OK, even one will be most appreciated.

John M. Huff
CenSat Enterprises

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:00 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

The stone would have to be "perfect" although I have seen prices close to that for smaller, less perfect gems.

MJO is the most plugged in accountant I know, some images by all means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:32 am 

MJO is going to run into that "chromium emeralds don't photograph well" problem, I think.

I have another question concerning transactions of this value, but I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to post it (maybe Richard's emerald seeking client is plugged in too).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:24 pm 
Valued Contributor

africanuck wrote:
MJO is going to run into that "chromium emeralds don't photograph well" problem, I think.

I have another question concerning transactions of this value, but I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to post it (maybe Richard's emerald seeking client is plugged in too).

Hello All,

I will post pictures as soon as I get them from the photographer. You are probubly right about posting prices but I really didn't think they would go for this emerald. I think they were looking for a 4ct stone. Since 4ct stones are hard enough to find like this one. This was more of a guess what I found <g>.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:20 pm 
Platinum Member

africanuck wrote:

I thought I was the only one with problems photographing green stones. It seems almost any green stone looks bad. I wonder if film is any better than digital.