January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Star Ruby pricing
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:27 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I want to buy some star rubies from India, i want to know how much i can pay for good quality stones

Post subject: Re: Star Ruby pricing
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:07 am 
Site Admin

hi and welcome to the forum
your statement is too vague, "good quality stones" means close to nothing... :wink: if you want advices you must be more precise (size, pictures et al), plus this is an educational forum, not a consumer one, :wink:

ciao
alberto

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:09 am 
Valued Contributor

Also, sites exist on Internet that show hundreds of Indian stones of a range of qualities and colors, all with prices. Suggest a search and a bit of self-education. :D

Richard Davies

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:23 am 
Established Member

I agree with the above suggestions...apart from this be careful that you dont end up with star corundums and not rubies..or dyed star rubies which are popular trade here in india. Which part of india are these star rubies from ?

Meher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:21 pm 
Gold Member

another concern would be natural ruby with artificial star (diffusion treatment)

How easy spotted is that?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:10 am 
Established Member

You may get good quality Star Rubies for around $400/ ct.
Or
Decent quality for around $200/ct.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:15 pm 
Established Member

$80 a carat for the opaque Indian stars (may have sharp stars, but are dark with unattractive color, hardly rubies in my book).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:26 am 
Valued Contributor

A lot depends on where you are when you buy one. The price of an Indian star varies drastically if you compare being in southern India to being in New York City. Where are you? Best regards, Lee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:32 am 

bhavatmaj wrote:
You may get good quality Star Rubies for around $400/ ct.
Or
Decent quality for around $200/ct.

Hello Bhavatamaj,

You have verygood photographs, can you please tell me the method of the photography as i need to use it on a project and submit in my institute.
Please let me know in details if possible, like which camera, lens, lightings, softboxes or anything else used.
It would be great if you could help me out.

Thanks

Post subject: Star Ruby purchased from Agra India
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:51 am 

Hello guys,
I just purchased two star rubys (total 14ct) while on a trip to Taj Mahal . It was a spontaneous decision and for sure not a smart one . However the owner of the shop was very good at convincing us without feeling pressure.He mentioned that 3 kind of stones are specific for Agra area (Star Ruby,Black star of India and a blueish gem,that i don't remember) the export is limited by allowing only 5 stones per person to be purchased...Now i realize that was not quite true,but I hope the rest of the presentation has at least few true statements- the quality and properties of the Ruby stone - to enhance the life of the one who carry it in certain ways . The shop is Gems and Art gallery in Agra,India : http://www.gemsandartgallery.com/

So I chooses two star rubys with pink color choosing among probably 200 . They were in different boxes and the coulur of each batch was different . First they show me the ones that even I can see are not the best quality . Than gradually they bring more and more on the table .The best ones in my eyes came at the end . And i choosed two that had smooth dark pink colour and a sharp star . My idea is to make 2 gold rings with these gems. However when i search online and even on Ebay i see a huge price difference in similarly looking stones .

Is there a way to check my rubys and how would be the value determinable ? I'm really confused if these are real rubys and if the price i payed is fair . How much should such star rubys cost ?

The photos I took with my Iphone. I will try to take better photos later .

If I made a mistake I will have to swallow it . But at least I would like to learn something about purchasing gems :D
Agra is getting 3 million tourist every year so I think this topic can be helpful to anyone who is traveling to India and considering purchasing gems .

Post subject: Re: Star Ruby purchased from Agra India
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:38 am 
Site Admin

My first thought is that you should bring your stones to a gemologist/appraiser and let them determine exactly what you have and establish a relative value in a defined market.
Let us know where you live (city) and we can probably help you with that.

The stones indeed look like star rubies to me...but further testing is necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:17 am 

Thanks for the reply . I live in Portsmouth,NH. Boston would be the closest bigger city around me . However I will be there in September . I'm spending the summer in Bulgaria .
Interesting is that yesterday i was browsing Ebay and I spotted a ring with similar color and size star ruby that is for sale for a very high price . Even mime look much smoother and cleaner .
I have payed $80 per carat for my rubies ,but I really get lost how the price is determinate . On the photos they all look similar . Any help before i get to the jeweler and make the rings is greatly appreciated :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:20 am 

This is the Ebay ring : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-GIA-C ... 0691175%26

Where closest to Boston I can get such certificate from GIA and how much would cost ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:44 am 
Site Admin

There is really no blue book on gems.
One can charge whatever they think they can get.
I seriously doubt the ring you linked to on eBay will sell at that price....

I agree your stones are nicer than the one on eBay. $80/ct seems like a very fair price.

What are the weights on your stones?

Only the GIA can produce a GIA Identification Report. You can send your stones to them. The GIA does not "certify" anything. They identify a gem and report on treatments.

I might suggest an AGL report. They are in New York and you can mail a stone to them as well. Again, no labs "certify" anything.

Neither GIA nor AGL will ascribe a $value to your gems.

It is unlikely a star sapphire would be heat treated, as the star is the result of rutile inclusions. Heat would cause the rutile to disseminate, thus eliminating the star.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:12 pm 

Again.Thank you for the advise . I really appreciate it . In any possible way I consider my purchase a good thing because I was at this extremely unique and spiritual place and now I'm so interested in gems that I read anything I can find online .

The two ruby gems are total 14,5 ct . The bigger is 9.5-10 and the smaller is 4.5-5 . I also purchased a Black star of India that is 6 ct and the price was $25 a ct.

And I didn't have a bad feeling for the guy at all . He made me a discount,but not too much 10-15% may be . He was not really willing to trade and sell at all cost . Even I wrote him email that I have some concerns and he told me i can return the gems and he will refund 90% and keep 10% for restocking fee.

It was definitely very interesting trip as it was not really planned -last minute thing and I even did not thing of ordering anything at first when entered the shop . And both me and my coworker bought gems there .