January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: AGTA Announces Cancellation of 2021 AGTA GemFair™ Tucson
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

G&LW Tucson Holidome and Gem Mall wrote:

Hello G&LW Tucson Holidome and Gem Mall Buyers:

This email is being sent to all Buyers of all Tucson Gem Shows (listed below) that are proceeding with their 2021 Tucson events.

The Tucson show promoters (listed below) wanted everyone to receive this announcement first, and at the same time, so that everyone has the same information.

Even though most shows have received their event permits, the COVID-19 cases in Arizona are increasing, as well as the infection and hospitalization rates, which now make the original Tucson dates untenable.

For that reason, the Tucson show promoters anticipate that Pima County Health Department will rescind all the permits in the coming days.

Therefore, we have decided together to POSTPONE THE TUCSON GEM SHOWCASE BY EXACTLY 10 WEEKS.

G&LW’s HOLIDOME AND GEM MALL TUCSON NEW SHOW DATES ARE APRIL 10-18, 2021!

We considered the following in reaching this difficult decision.
It will require several months to administer 100 million doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine as well as tens of millions more doses by the soon-to-be-approved second vaccine by Moderna.
Meanwhile, other countries are immunizing their citizens as well.
In addition, experts anticipate that this third wave will subside with the warming spring temperatures.

Therefore, we expect April to have a much lower infection rate and as a result, travel restrictions may well be eased, and life will start returning to normal.

As we stated, you are among the first to receive this announcement.

Please share this information widely and let your buyers know. Many who planned to stay away in late January may now choose to come in mid-April.

We look forward to seeing you April 10-18, 2021 at the Holidome and Gem Mall Tucson Shows!

Thank you,
The Staff of G&LW
Candy McNamara
Felicia Crigler
Angie Bliss
Lynn Evans
Bianca Sullivan

Gem & Lapidary Wholesalers, Inc.
601.879.8832 |info@glwshows.com | glwshows.com
P.O. Box 98 Flora, MS 39071-0098
"Bringing Gem Shows to Your Part of the Country"

CONFIRMED APRIL SHOW DATES:
1801 Oracle — Mineral Village Show (April 7 – 25, 2021)
22nd Street Show (April 8 – 25, 2021)
African Art Village (April 8 - 26, 2021)
Arizona Independent Warehouse Show
The Big Gem Show (April 10 – 24, 2021)
G&LW Tucson Gem Show / Gem Mall (April 10 – 18, 2021)
G&LW Tucson Gem Show / Holidome (April 10 – 18, 2021)
GIGM Red Lion Gem & Mineral Show (April 9 – 24, 2021)
GIGM Motel 6 Gem & Mineral Show (April 9 – 24, 2021)
GIGM Quality Inn Gem & Mineral Show (April 9 – 24, 2021)
JG&M Expo at Michigan Street (April 8 – 25, 2021)
JG&M Expo at Simpson Street (April 8 – 25, 2021)
JOGS Tucson Gem & Jewelry Show (exact April dates TBD)
Kino Gem & Mineral Show (April 8 – TBD, 2021)
Main Avenue Fossil & Mineral Show (April 8 – 25, 2021)
Miners Co-op Rock Show (exact April dates TBD)
Mineral City Show (April 9 – 24, 2021)
Mineral & Fossil Marketplace (exact April dates TBD)
Pueblo Gem & Mineral Show (April 8 – 25, 2021)
Top gem 1820 Oracle Show (exact April dates TBD)
Tucson Showplace (April 9 – 24, 2021)

Editorial Comment
This decision is reckless, irresponsible, and selfish! There is NO indication that Covid will have mitigated itself by April. Quite the contrary. Follow the science: STAY HOME!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:14 pm 
Gold Member

Agreed...
Thinking out loud "Prepaid Vendor Deposits", "Final Vendor Payments Due" about this time every year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

As Dr. Hanneman would say "Follow the money!"
Will G&LW accept any liability for their desperate and deliberately ill advised decision. Of course not.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Apologies to 1bwana1. I had a server hiccup and his response was deleted as well as my update.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:18 pm 

If they jogged it once they'll probably jog it again, at least we can hope. Do it enough times and it might even be safe.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:31 pm 
Gold Member

Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
Apologies to 1bwana1. I had a server hiccup and his response was deleted as well as my update.

No problem I have suffered much worse in my life. LOL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:46 am 
Platinum Member

Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
G&LW Tucson Holidome and Gem Mall wrote:

Editorial Comment
This decision is reckless, irresponsible, and selfish! There is NO indication that Covid will have mitigated itself by April. Quite the contrary. Follow the science: STAY HOME!!!

I think at this point people can understand who is at high risk and who isn't. So far officially over 16 M in the US have gotten the virus, and expects suspect that actual number is 7 times or more than that. So maybe over 100 M people have built immunity, and by April that number will be higher, and the Vaccine will only help.

People have been going to the grocery store, Walmart, gas stations and lot of other places. I don't see where this is any higher risk. Follow the science, most people are getting infected within their own families and small private gatherings.

If you are afraid..... stay home, but people have so survive. What California and other states have done is reckless and irresponsible and not following the science. Even the leaders who make these rules are not following their own "science".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:35 pm 
Gold Member

So.... In your opinion it is a state to state based related issue. Californians handle it different than let's say Pennsylvanians do.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

I think it is a function of politics and enforcement (or lack there of) of restrictions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:14 pm 
Gold Member

I do not believe that a mass convergence of people into any city, based on information known today is wise or fair to those locally, who will suffer the potential greater harm after the two week rock licking is over. Brave or afraid. But some of where we are today is because of this logic not because a politician had there hair done or had a dinner out. My wife and I are not afraid, just not irresponsible or careless for our selves or to anybody else.
JMO...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:17 pm 
Platinum Member

Well, it's very easy for people who are not financially burdened to impose devastating financial burdens on others.

I think every political leader who mandates or endorses shut downs should automatically forfeit 100% of their government pay to be used to compensate the actual people they are bankrupting. Also people who are getting paid to stay at home (teachers), or people on a pension who advocate to shut down others means of support, should at least donate half their pay to help out these peoples whose lively hoods they advocate destroying.

Do you think the guy who is 60 years old and works a checkout at Walmart (which is open all over) would get full paid if he told Walmart he doesn't feel safe going to work?

Then why should a teach get full pay for not showing up to work, when "THE SCIENCE" shows that schools are not a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:18 pm 
Platinum Member

glhays wrote:
I do not believe that a mass convergence of people into any city, based on information known today is wise or fair to those locally, who will suffer the potential greater harm after the two week rock licking is over. Brave or afraid. But some of where we are today is because of this logic not because a politician had there hair done or had a dinner out. My wife and I are not afraid, just not irresponsible or careless for our selves or to anybody else.
JMO...

A lot of local Tucson people make a lot of money during the gem show weeks. I bet they feel differently.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:34 pm 
Gold Member

Precision Gem wrote:
glhays wrote:
JMO...

A lot of local Tucson people make a lot of money during the gem show weeks. I bet they feel differently.

Well Gene your not the only one who has been going to Tucson for many years and know the in's and out's of the city of Tucson, we are all hurting in some way or another, financially and otherwise. Of course it is a burden and a hardship on all of us in this ordeal. Like everywhere right now there are feelings in both directions good and bad. Nothing argued here is going to change those who dare and those who do not. My mother worked for Walmart for many years till her passing, I know the hardships of that 60+ year old who depends on the income. But what is in the mind of each of those you speak of is unknown.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:

I guess they could always investigate manufacturing and distributing body bags during this hiatus.
Business is booming.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:18 pm 
Gold Member

No matter what your political view of this situation is we have to accept the realities of the outcome.

The odds of the World agreeing on an opening up standard for International travel by that time is very low. The hope is that the vaccine will enable a travel health card system to be put in place.

That is not a new thing by the way. When I first stated traveling International in the gem industry 1970s you had to have a health card listing your vaccinations with dates. Still, today you need such a card depending on which country you are going to, and which country you came from. In fact, a Yellow Fever stamp in your health card requirement in Tanzania is a good example of that.

Once I have my vaccine, I will feel comfortable going to an event that requires everyone to have gotten it. I will also be resuming traveling to Africa and my other usual places.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next