January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Synthetic diamond logo
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:08 pm 
Valued Contributor

Thought you might like to see the logo is putting on the lightbox diamonds. At least they are keeping it above board for us poor appraisers to spot easily.

Attachments:
lightbox.jpg
lightbox.jpg [ 99.72 KiB | Viewed 2495 times ]

Post subject: Re: Synthetic diamond logo
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:14 pm 
Gold Member

They claim that it is internal and cannot be polished off. I wonder how they are doing that...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:13 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

B"H
Such a wonderful company.

RAPAPORT STATEMENT: June 19, 2018

De Beers Destroying Transparency in the Diamond Industry

Does Not Allow Clients to Disclose the Source of Their Diamonds

Attacks Rapaport for Raising Transparency Issue

PRESS RELEASE, June 19, 2018 … The De Beers Group is refusing to allow its clients to disclose the legitimacy of diamonds from De Beers. All De Beers’ rough diamonds are now opaque. That’s 42% of the world’s legitimate diamond production in 2017, and $14.993 billion of rough diamonds from 2015 through 2017.

In a letter to clients, De Beers states: “In relation to programmes such as GIA’s ‘Mine to Market’ (M2M), or other downstream entities’ initiatives seeking to make provenance claims. We have declined all such requests.… The Sightholder Signature License Clause 3.6.6 states: ‘you will not represent that any particular diamond or diamonds are sourced, or originate, from us or any member of the De Beers Group except with our prior written consent.’”

The net effect of De Beers’ action is to deny legitimate companies and non-profit organizations such as the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) the ability to track the legitimacy of polished diamonds.

“De Beers is extending its market power from rough to polished markets through exclusive polished distribution networks such as Forevermark. They are making it impossible for independent third parties to source-certify their diamonds, thereby disabling legitimate diamond distribution systems. De Beers is using its market power to restrain competition in the market for legitimate source-certified polished diamonds,” said Martin Rapaport, Chairman of the Rapaport Group.

Rapaport is also calling out De Beers for personally attacking Martin Rapaport with false statements.

In a formal statement, De Beers wrote, “As background, Martin Rapaport had requested to be able to market diamonds from the De Beers Group, using the De Beers brand, on his platform for his benefit.… What Martin wants is to be able to market diamonds from the De Beers Group, using the De Beers brand, on his platform for his benefit.”

Both statements are entirely false. Martin Rapaport and the Rapaport Group have never asked to market De Beers diamonds using the De Beers brand — not on our RapNet platform or anywhere else. De Beers should take notice that the age-old tactic of shooting the messenger does not kill the message. The issue here is not Martin Rapaport, or the GIA, or Richline Group’s TrustChain. The issue is the ability of the global diamond industry to provide consumers with source-certified, legitimate diamonds.

The Rapaport Group calls on De Beers to immediately cancel its restriction on source disclosure. De Beers’ bogus claim that the legitimacy of its diamonds cannot be disclosed, to protect the De Beers brand, is false. De Beers can easily use any other name on its invoicing, such as the Diamond Trading Company or DTC, as it has in the past. Furthermore, its brand is fully legally protected in other ways.

With extensive human suffering in developing countries such as Zimbabwe, the Congo and others, as well as billions of dollars of diamonds not subject to human rights, AML and CTF compliance, the Rapaport Group begs De Beers to do the right thing and allow its clients to disclose the legitimacy of their diamonds.

The Rapaport Group asks all responsible members of the diamond industry to directly email De Beers CEO Bruce.Cleaver@DeBeersGroup.com and request that he immediately revoke restrictions on source disclosure. Feel free to CC Martin@Rapaport.com to ensure follow-up.

The Rapaport Group asks all responsible trade associations such as the World Federation of Diamond Bourses, International Diamond Manufacturers Association, World Diamond Council, American Gem Society, Jewelers of America and the Responsible Jewellery Council to take action that will ensure all members of the diamond trade have equal opportunity to disclose the source of their rough and polished diamonds.

Finally, the Rapaport Group asks all members of the Kimberley Process and Non-Government Organizations to take proactive measures to ensure that all members of the diamond trade have equal opportunity to disclose the source of their rough and polished diamonds.

Rapaport Media Contacts: media@diamonds.net

US: Sherri Hendricks +1-702-893-9400 – International: Alex Shine +1-718-878-5138

About the Rapaport Group: The Rapaport Group is a global provider of added-value services that support the development of ethical, transparent, competitive and efficient diamond and jewelry markets. Established in 1978, the Rapaport Price List is the primary source of diamond price and market information. Group activities include Rapaport Information Services, Rapaport Magazine and Diamonds.net, providing research, analysis and news; RapNet – the world’s largest diamond trading network; Rapaport Laboratory Services, providing GIA gemological services in India, Belgium and Israel; and Rapaport Trading and Auction Services, specializing in recycled diamonds and jewelry. The Group supports over 20,000 clients in 121 countries and has offices in New York, Las Vegas, Antwerp, Ramat Gan, Mumbai, Surat, Dubai and Hong Kong. Additional information is available at http://www.diamonds.net.

This email was sent to nickynewarka1@yahoo.com by The Rapaport Group, 133 E Warm Springs Road, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89119. To unsubscribe, please click the following link.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

I got that email too.

I have to admit I have ZERO trust or respect for anything quoting Martin Rapaport's self serving word.

And DeBeers has often found themselves in a hole difficult to climb out of.

In this case I'm goin' with DeBeers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:45 am 

Thanks for the logo image.
Gotta agree with Barbara about rapaport: never cared for his inflated retail price list or his style. I applaud debeers; brilliant exposure of near fraud perpetrated on the uninformed public.
Let’s csll it pink slime and not steak.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:49 am 
Valued Contributor

Is this the same De Beers that has been in the new this year for using block chain to track from mine to retail, which they say will be open to the industry to know where a specific diamond came from? Not sure if the exact mine is included or not...

https://www.debeersgroup.com/en/news/company-news/company-news/de-beers-group-successfully-tracks-first-diamonds-from-mine-to-r.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-anglo-debeers-blockchain/de-beers-tracks-diamonds-through-supply-chain-using-blockchain-idUSKBN1IB1CY

http://www.mining.com/worlds-no-1-diamond-jewellery-retailer-joins-de-beers-tracking-pilot/

I recently set a Forevermark diamond which also bore the Canadian maple leaf emblem and reg. # on the girdle. The Forevermark logo and # appears to be laser-inscribed inside the diamond, like the glass pieces that you can see at craft fairs and flea markets - can't be removed. Sorry I don't have pictures, I was too busy making a custom crown for the square cushion and getting it in a ring.

Facetron x2
Polymetrics OMF
GemCad/GemRay/Gem Cut Studio
Matrix 9/Rhino 5, 6, 7
REVO A (still hanging on...)
B9 Creator Core 5 Series XL
Indutherm MC-15

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:47 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

where is this Laser inscription located? and how they do it from inside?