January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Pretty cool diamond cut
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:42 pm 
Platinum Member

[url=https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:CampaignPublic/id:1401417.6556723223/rid:3ecc55edc54319c04f5511b617e58f80#nanocut] Click here for direct link to G&G article on "Nanocut Plasma-Etched Diamonds:
A New Technique to Enhance Fire"*
[/url]

*direct link added by admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:16 pm 
Platinum Member

*edited by admin

This technique while not really a cut, (it is a surface treatment) has the potential to open up a whole new and interesting can of worms for diamond cut analysis. Stones could be cut for more light return and then have all their pavilion facets treated like this to crank up the fire..

I love technology!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:33 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

8) i was excited to receive my GIA eBrief today. at the bottom of the article on the nanocut plasma-etching, i read that the round brilliant diamonds, with the standard 57 or 58 facets, that have this type of "enhancement for fire" won't receive a cut grade if submitted to GIA for grading, and will be considered modified round brilliants.

from the GIA eBrief:
"Standard 57- or 58-facet round brilliant diamonds displaying Nanocut plasma-etched patterns that are submitted to the GIA Laboratory for grading will be considered modified round brilliants. Consequently, they will receive color and clarity grades, but not a cut grade."

there will be more on this in the next G&G issue

->where's swisherdude been these days??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:10 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hummmmmm!!!! I wonder!?!?!?

I have a few questions and concerns and I wonder if some of the research eggheads have pondered these questions and concerns and if so what are their results and finding that can withstand peer review.

Does Nanocut Plasma Etching of the surfaces of the diamond on the pavilion facets affect the color grade? If so what are the effects and differences. If not how come and why.
Remember when judging and/or grading BODY COLOR of a diamond is done by looking at the diamond table down and looking through both the lower part of the crown, girdle and upper part of the pavilion. (in most cases) How does the Color Grading Light interact with the Nanocut Plasma Etching since the pavilion is now fully exposed to the grading light? What about the various overhead Color Grading Lights available on the market? Diffused Lighting or are LED Lights involved?

The next question, What is the True Classification of Nanocut Plasma Etching? Is it a CUT/Faceting? Is it a surface treatment?

The Biggest Question of all is WHO is the ONE who gets to play GOD and decide if it a CUT/Faceting Style Classification or if it is a Surface Treatment or if it is both?
Who gets the Honor of declaring WHAT IS BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY WHAT IS NOT put on a Diamond Grading Report?

Should it not be clearly listed as “Nanocut Plasma Etching”?!?!?!?!

If a Diamond Grading Report has Light Performance Grading that measures Fire, Brilliance, Sparkle. Will the report clearly list that FIRE is enhanced due to “Nanocut Plasma Etching!?!?
If FIRE is increased or enhanced does it enhance or decrease Brilliance and/or Sparkle!?!?! If so by but what factor and/or percentage!?!?!

I have a bunch of questions waiting to see what the answers, reports, test data and peer-review articles in regards to this interesting and fascinating technology and technique. In the near future I can imagine all sorts of neat and interesting variations not only with diamonds but with colored stones too.

Coming Soon:

Bauer Gemological Products

From Simple Minds, comes Simple Answers & Even Simpler Solutions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:00 am 
Valued Contributor

In the photographs used in the article - the stone doesn't "look" like a diamond anymore. The play of color looks funny. (IMO, of course)
-Katy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:08 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Imagine if it was done to a Sphene!