Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: CVD Synthetic Diamond Alert
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:23 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Oh Tim ……. Thanks for the laugh.

So is losing your soup a Northern European thing or what?
That’s a new one for me.

The problem is the Jewelry Industry has opened up Pandora’s Box or Let the Synthetic Diamond Genie out of the bottle and there is now no turning back. Because there was no advanced planning to implement safeguards to protect the Diamond Industry, Jewelry Industry and most importantly to protect the End User (The Consumer) which is in fact the very Lifeblood that those aforementioned industries critically need to stay alive and operating.

WE ALL KNEW THIS WAS COMING since the 1950’s yet nothing was done.
POOR PLANNING FOR SURE!!!

The problem is several fold.

It is a Responsibility Issue
It is a Credibility Issue
It is a Honesty Issue
It is an Accountability Issue
It is an Integrity Issue
It is a Confidence Issue
It is a Truth-in-Advertizing Issue
It is a Consumer Protection Issue
It is a Consumer Advocacy Issue
It is an Identification Issue
It is an Authentication Issue
It is a Price Issue
It is a Value Issue

If Larger Than > 1/3ct. 0.33ct Synthetic Diamonds and/or HPHT Treated Diamonds are showing up at the Labs trying to probe and test the Lab’s Defenses is clearly a case of trying to commit an Act of Deception / Fraud primarily for the sole purpose of financial grain.
Sure some is by SO-CALLED Mistake, Yeah Right!!!

Everyone wants to be seen as a Victim.

Also everyone wants to have a hush, hush investigation to see where the trail leads and yet it is never publicly released as to who did what to who because everyone claims they were a victim and threatens the investigators if their name or their company’s name is revealed or released they will sue for billions of dollars for defamation, libel and slander, thus seeking both punitive and compensatory damages.
Therefore the investigation goes absolutely nowhere and nothing is accomplished.
Therefore it is nothing more than, He Said/ She Said.

I sense from your point of view Synthetics should be allowed to compete with Naturals and that is fine.
Then WE MUST lower everything to the Lowest common denominator which is and includes Identification, Authentication, Price and Value Issue.

Therefore ALL Diamonds Natural or Synthetic should sell and more importantly be valued at 30% to 50% less than Natural Diamonds are today.

YEP!!! The Consumers are going to love that BIG TIME.

You also need to seriously ask yourself, why did one Synthetic Diamond Manufacturer move their entire operations overseas to the Far-East!?!?!

Was it all about operational costs or maybe less oversight and closer to countries who openly and blatantly disregard any and all business laws observed in the Free Market World?

THE MELEE DIAMOND MARKET

Now let’s dilute the Melee Diamond Market and start salting melee parcels 1-per-100 to begin with, then later on 3-per-100 than later on 5-per-100 and so-on-and-so-forth.

What about Importation of Semi-Mounted Diamond Melee?

Who is going to spot check pre-set diamond melee to see if they are in fact Natural or Synthetic Diamonds? NO ONE!!!

Once again, We then must take the lowest common denominator and then apply it.
All Diamond Melee has to be priced and valued at the lowest price and value BECAUSE WE (YOU) CANNOT PROVE OR DISPROVE what is what. THEREFORE YOU MUST err on the low-side instead of the high-side. Therefore all melee diamonds HAS TO BE priced and valued at 30% to 50% less than they are now.

If YOU CANNOT PROVE to a High Degree of Certainty then you cannot sell, advertise or value something YOU CANNOT PROVE by Identification and Authentication as to what it truly is.

The last person to sell it to the End User (The Consumer) will be held legally liable and accountable in a court of law.

This means the Retail Jewelry Store and their employees will be left holding the Legal Liability bag.

So in closing it’s not insane it is just business as usual, I guess or at least in some people’s eyes.

P.S. Would Clam Chowder be considered Soup? lol

Coming Soon:

Bauer Gemological Products

From Simple Minds, comes Simple Answers & Even Simpler Solutions

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:40 pm 

Quote:
So is losing your soup a Northern European thing or what?

That came at you straight from Brooklyn, mate... (note the title of the song, it's kinda applicable to the whole topic :wink: )

For the rest:

Quote:
The problem is the Jewelry Industry has opened up Pandora’s Box or Let the Synthetic Diamond Genie out of the bottle and there is now no turning back.

Nah, mate they don't let genies out of bottles, this sorta stuff just happens to 'm. Albè welcomed me to the industry a few posts up, allow me to welcome you to the world. Shit happens.

Quote:
Because there was no advanced planning to implement safeguards to protect the Diamond Industry

U kidding me? No advanced planning in the diamond industry? Prrrrrrrffffffff :-#

Quote:
Jewelry Industry

= the outlet for the diamond industry so I'll count that as one. It is actually way more diverse than the 'diamond industry' but ey... let's not nitpick.

Quote:
and most importantly to protect the End User (The Consumer) which is in fact the very Lifeblood that those aforementioned industries critically need to stay alive and operating.

The consumer has one responsibility: he has to sort out where he buys his goods, be it diamonds, fish, iphones, software etc etc etc...

When I buy something expensive and it turns out to be junk, I haven't done my homework and have to blame myself for that. Just buying a camera, for instance, takes me a week or two, diligently skimming through reviews and suppliers, making sure I spend the little money I have wisely. When I buy it I make sure I buy it from a company with a long and good reputation which is well recommended by many fellow consumers and guarantees its stuff.

I advise every consumer looking for a nice diamond to do the same and only to walk into stores that have long lasting, impeccable reputations. If you don't, you buy at your own risk. Simple. Assuming that these stores have maintained their impeccable (nobody is perfect) reputation because they hire capable staff and spend the money to get their rocks checked, they will be charging higher prices than their not-so-diligent competitors. Simple.

What's next? Oh, you loose your soup again... :wink:

Quote:
WE ALL KNEW THIS WAS COMING since the 1950’s yet nothing was done.
POOR PLANNING FOR SURE!!!

Yeah, dumb gemlabs! What were they thinking? They couldn't even look into the future 62 years. Shame on them. Worthless bunch...

LaShawn... what should they have planned? They pick 'm out of the parcels as they come by and even call the advertisement boys, eh... I mean, trade press... what more do you want?

Quote:
The problem is several fold.

It is a Responsibility Issue
It is a Credibility Issue
It is a Honesty Issue
It is an Accountability Issue
It is an Integrity Issue
It is a Confidence Issue
It is a Truth-in-Advertizing Issue
It is a Consumer Protection Issue
It is a Consumer Advocacy Issue
It is an Identification Issue
It is an Authentication Issue
It is a Price Issue
It is a Value Issue

R U sure it isn't a "Shit, this is yet another thing I don't know how to detect so I'm getting quite useless to my customers - issue?"

Question, LaShawn: if someone walks into your office with pendant featuring a 12 x 16mm emerald cut flawless Santa Maria colored aquamarine set in 18K, bearing Dutch stamps and a maker's mark that checks out after you sent me an email. What do you do? Do you issue a report and state a price? It could be a synthetic... or heated... how would you know? Will you send those kinds of cases off to get a lab report first? Do you get one yourself and calculate the cost of one through to your customer? What about a flawless 4x4mm orange sapphire in a solitaire?

Quote:
If Larger Than > 1/3ct. 0.33ct Synthetic Diamonds and/or HPHT Treated Diamonds are showing up at the Labs trying to probe and test the Lab’s Defenses is clearly a case of trying to commit an Act of Deception / Fraud primarily for the sole purpose of financial grain.
Sure some is by SO-CALLED Mistake, Yeah Right!!!

Everyone wants to be seen as a Victim.

Also everyone wants to have a hush, hush investigation to see where the trail leads and yet it is never publicly released as to who did what to who because everyone claims they were a victim and threatens the investigators if their name or their company’s name is revealed or released they will sue for billions of dollars for defamation, libel and slander, thus seeking both punitive and compensatory damages.
Therefore the investigation goes absolutely nowhere and nothing is accomplished.
Therefore it is nothing more than, He Said/ She Said.

Billions of dollars? Heh... C'mon LaShawn...
Also... are we back at the drone with JDAM here? Isn't everybody allowed to send synthetics to a lab? That was where they got their right to existence, no?

Quote:
I sense from your point of view Synthetics should be allowed to compete with Naturals and that is fine.

There is no choice... the amount of people that can afford and demand *bling* is growing faster than you can say 'CZ'... No way in the world that can be sustained by natural rocks alone. Ecological impact of gem-mining not even taken into consideration here.

Quote:
Then WE MUST lower everything to the Lowest common denominator which is and includes Identification, Authentication, Price and Value Issue.

We must what? Is that because you can't tell the difference?

Quote:
Therefore ALL Diamonds Natural or Synthetic should sell and more importantly be valued at 30% to 50% less than Natural Diamonds are today.

YEP!!! The Consumers are going to love that BIG TIME.

They will, and they should... 0.35 of a carat is a very tiny bit of earth. I just did a quick search and was surprised to see that 0,3ct diamonds already come with a report, never seen a 0,3ct ruby with one... Anyway, we can buy those with GIA report for 300-400 bucks retail. That's a lot of money for such a tiny flake of planet! There is a fair few of those around too... how exactly do we justify those prices again?

Oh yeah... this was the part of 'the industry' that wasn't selling its day's haul while their kids are hungry and their houses made of dirt/tin/wood, so they could actually hold off selling at bottom prices... right... gotcha. There is only three major diamond mining companies (plus one dictator) mining diamonds you say? Hmmmm... I wonder what that does to prices...

Quote:
You also need to seriously ask yourself, why did one Synthetic Diamond Manufacturer move their entire operations overseas to the Far-East!?!?!

Was it all about operational costs or maybe less oversight and closer to countries who openly and blatantly disregard any and all business laws observed in the Free Market World?

Does it matter where these diamonds are produced? Why? Is it easier to buy a bunch of synthetics of a Chinese guy and then try to resell 'm as natural in the US or can you do just the same with US made synthetics? I reckon you can.

Quote:
THE MELEE DIAMOND MARKET

Now let’s dilute the Melee Diamond Market and start salting melee parcels 1-per-100 to begin with, then later on 3-per-100 than later on 5-per-100 and so-on-and-so-forth.

What about Importation of Semi-Mounted Diamond Melee?

Who is going to spot check pre-set diamond melee to see if they are in fact Natural or Synthetic Diamonds? NO ONE!!!

Two questions:

1. how much does it cost to produce a natural 5 pointer and how much does it cost to produce a synthetic 5 pointer?
2. how are you/we/they currently preventing salting melee parcels with synthetic SiC?

I really don't see the panic...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:26 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Hahaha Thanks Tim

I like your perspective, insights and comments.
Kinda like a Polarized Beam Splitter
Now who is playing Devil’s Advocate to who?
Hhahaha

Glad we got that all straightened out with nothing accomplished.

Kinda makes me feel like part of the Governmental Process over here
Talk and do nothing and still want to be paid for services rendered.

Coming Soon:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:35 pm 
Platinum Member

La Shawn,

Since you're such a dedicated diamond advocate, I suggest you do a televised infomercial with Sarah McLachlan singing "Arms of an Angel" in the background.

For $5.95 a month (half the price of an animal or human) we could rid the world of this dastardly CVD invasion and restore world order over this invasive synthetic species.

Meanwhile, where can I find a diamond tree to hug? My solar panel is hotter than hell this time of year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:07 am 
Site Admin

More undisclosed synthetic diamonds spotted in China

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:08 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Here you go

http://www.nationaljeweler.com/nj/diamo ... t-the-labs

Coming Soon:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Thx for posting LaShawn,

i agree with Roland, Gemlabs shouldn't police the industry, it's not among their prerogatives. I would love to know more thoughts from other members, though.......
ciao
albé

Post subject: NJ article on syn diamonds
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:16 am 
Platinum Member

http://njn.typepad.com/10x/2012/07/putt ... ork+10x%29

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:13 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

As a diamond cutter, I find it disturbing that included crystals have been infiltrated into the cvd growth process, as one advantage of cvd over hpht is that crystals can be grown crystal inclusion free. I would conclude that fraud was intended.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:26 am 
Established Member

Hi to everybody!
It would be interestng if somebody shows us any photo of those synthetic diamonds (including the microscopical characters), compared with a natural one, i.e. a sythetic one near a natural one, as well as photos of inclusions! It could be a good help for everybody!
Greetings from Italy :smt002 by Riccardo.