January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Whats Benefits for wearing Diamond Gems ?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:30 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Plz suggest the benefits for wearing diamond gemstones, & what will be its substitute

Post subject: Re: Whats Benefits for wearing Diamond Gems ?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum.
please elaborate the concept, i really don't get it, thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi kppanday.
Are you hoping for a metaphysical reasoning?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:05 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

you will attract attention of muggers?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:59 pm 
Gold Member

I suggest the main benefits will go to the diamond seller, undoubtedly !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:40 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

kppanday wrote:
Plz suggest the benefits for wearing diamond gemstones, & what will be its substitute

diamond can be symbol of rarity and lasting value, because diamond is the hardest natural material so it express love for the eternity, you might have been heard of "diamonds are forever" although its result of brilliant marketing plan De Beers (cartel :D ) rolled out in the late 1930s but this really suits for diamond, not forgetting that diamonds are a girl's best friend.
its substitute can be ruby, sapphire, emerald and other gems. what ever floats your boat dear.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:42 pm 

Also it gives you +5 against ogres.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

Spoken as a true dadaist, reality is whatever you believe it to be.
If one believes:
Courtesy of Crystal Meanings:
Quote:
Diamond is a stone that is used to bring energies of longevity, balance, clarity, intensity, success, and abundance. It also brings eternity, purity, and high frequency energy. It also is a stone of amplification, including thoughts, strengths, and weaknesses.

It gives one who wears or carries it courage and hope. And indeed, it is a symbol of invincibility, due to it being the hardest stone. enhance strength in emotional, spiritual, and physical realms

Diamond is said to be a cosmic dragon's remains that tap into Divine Energy.

Perhaps, then, for some, that's just what it is!

Sadly, I don't believe in anything which can't be empirically substantiated.
Therefore, for me, a diamond simply reflects a successful marketing campaign. A commodity whose value is based on international price fixing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:58 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Because I'm a gem collector I have yet another young co-worker asking me for help with an engagement ring. All the talk about the true rarity of a quality ruby ,sapphire, or other colored stone falls on deaf ears. Princess Diana's blue sapphire doesn't matter, has to be a diamond. He didn't like the u-tube video but still has to have a diamond.I told him that we will find the best value as long as he knows that no matter what he is going to get hosed.I think best value is Gia report stone -SI1with small crystal inclusions away from the table (no one is going to put your ring under a microscope), near colorless(G-I). no one is going to remove stone from mounting flip it upside down on a white background to compare with colorless stones. I told him not to compromise on the cut , ideal- excellent with good performance is most important. He has to have 1ct. The fact that it's weight not a size and better deals can be had in .95-.99 size doesn't matter. 5-6K is what this stone with GIA report is to cost(plus mounting). I told him if he tries to sell it back the day after purchase he won't get a thousand bucks. Got to give it to DeBeers, that marketing campaign almost a hundred years ago is still working. It worked on me back in the day with a 1ct.E SI1 stone. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

That video is a hoot! A well researched hoot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:55 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I always thought that De Beers was banned from operating in the States because it was a cartel keeping prices artificially high. Yet the price structure quoted by Nick is way above what I would expect to pay here in the U.K. Is something happening that we are not being told about?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

Barbra getting side-barred wrote:
DeBeers settled their antitrust violation kerfuffle with the US in the recent past and not only opened offices here but several retail stores....currently, only 4 of them survive.

I believe that there is international price fixing still going on with diamonds. It would be in no business' best interest to substantially under-cut current pricing schemes. Even when diamonds were discovered in the Soviet Union some decades back, they decided to play ball with DeBeers, as Alrosa does today.

The weekly Rapaport Report is used internationally, usually advertising the % back of Rap they are selling their diamonds.
If one finds a diamond substantially below market, there are reasons. The make is off, the cutting style is horridly out of fashion, it fluoresces like crazy, or, it is improperly represented.

Remember when a diamond sold with an EGL Report could be had for much less than one with a GIA Report even though the weight, color and clarity appeared the same? Example of mis-representation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:52 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Interesting, but why is the price structure in the U.S. so much higher than in the U.K. or Europe generally? It is particularly puzzling since I used to visit the U.S. regularly and buy camera equipment, 50% of the cost in the U.K.
That no-one wishes to undercut current pricing schemes is understandable but for the Russians to get into bed with De Beers has to be the height of hypocrisy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:25 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Alan F. wrote:
Interesting, but why is the price structure in the U.S. so much higher than in the U.K. or Europe generally? It is particularly puzzling since I used to visit the U.S. regularly and buy camera equipment, 50% of the cost in the U.K.
That no-one wishes to undercut current pricing schemes is understandable but for the Russians to get into bed with De Beers has to be the height of hypocrisy.

Alan- You need to make sure you are comparing apples with apples. The stone I described is a 1ct. Ideal cut (very few are) with a GIA report. Like Barbra mentioned ,stones with an EGL or some other lab reports can be off two or more grades in the wrong direction. This is a big deal if your SI1 stone is really an I1. Do I think a common stone with an artificial rarity is worth 5K/ct.? No, that's why I always recommend a high quality colored center stone. I would really be surprised if the same stone is any cheaper in the UK.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

As far as the Soviet Union following DeBeers lead, I believe that's called smart business.
If you remember what the Soviet's did at the time was to cut their diamonds to the highest standards in the world.
Do you recall boasting, "Our melee is Russian cut"?
I certainly do.

Furthermore, when we look at the strength of the American dollar when compared to other currencies, I think that may explain why things appear to be more expensive in the US when purchased with conversions from the British pound, Euro or Yen.

Not for us.

Oh, by the by, I think we've lost kppanday. Hello? You still with us kppanday?