January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: French diamonds
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:51 am 
Gold Member

You know what ? Apparently they are starting to grow CVD diamonds in France ! :shock:

Name of this brand new society : Diam Concept.

Their point is : "We make diamonds and that's it. Same properties as the ones from the mines, with more ethic, and a weak carbon print. I am not at war with diamonds from mines, but they are diamonds of the past, whereas ours are diamonds of future."

For those who understand french :

Attachments:
dépêcheAFP_2019-10-15_08H07Mn53ss_distribution-luxe-entreprises-métaux-or-joaillerie-pollution_PREV.pdf [8.47 KiB]
Downloaded 221 times
 Post subject: Re: French diamonds
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:15 am 
Valued Contributor

Good luck to them. I hope they will stick to the fancy colored diamonds because the white diamond market is falling apart from low demand and over supply already:

https://www.mining.com/petra-diamonds-s ... ss-widens/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -stay-away

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:18 am 
Established Member

Well, the world economy has trouble picking up from the 2008 crisis and another one is looming on the horizon, so apart from the ultra-rich - which cannot cover themselves up with a 10cm thick layer of diamonds either - most people don't have the money for diamonds... I mean, even natural diamonds used to be a relatively common gift for newlyweds, bought even by middle class families (they just bought tiny ones; my mother can confirm :lol: ), but now, they're seen as an absolute luxury.
Plus, they're sort of... out of fashion among "cool creative" circles, which are more into more original (and cheaper) materials or vintage jewelry, in which case they'll buy a diamond which hasn't brought a penny to diamond mines or jewelers since 1973.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:31 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I've worked and have had my own buying offices in a few countries in Africa.

I have to laugh about all these CVD and HPHT diamond companies saying that they are more ethical.

When I was working in Africa, I, and I guess the end customer were directly supporting families that live from small scale mining. We as buyers don't make as much as you think. Sometimes we can get lucky on a stone but that is more of an exception. Most of the time, the local brokers always ask way too much for stones and you have to be lucky just to make a few% once export/import fees are paid.

Don't believe me, then go to SL or Angola to buy and see how that goes.

Anyways, my point is, which people's pockets do you fill when you buy a CVD or HPHT stone? Someone who already has the big bucks. Does the small scale mainer in Africa have another job to fall back onto?