January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Is this a good tip for pearl care?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:42 am 
Valued Contributor

I have heard from quite a few pearl dealers here that the very good way to store your loose pearls, at the same time preventing them from dessication, is to apply 1 or 2 drops of sandalwood oil onto the cleaning cloth while wiping the pearls before keeping them back into the box. The oil can prevent drying and thus cracking or nacre peeling of the pearls.

However, I am not so sure about the safety issues of this method as sandalwood oil does not have the neutral pH value right? if it is slightly acidic (like sweat), it can still cause damage to the pearls right? Or applying this oil on pearls is indeed a feasible method for pearl care?

Any ideas from the pearl experts??

Thanks.

Regards,
WClee

Post subject: Re: Is this a good tip for pearl care?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:23 am 
Valued Contributor

Best way to store your pearls is to keep them in a humid atmosphere,as you know pearls come from water,they remain protected in high humidity environments.
in last many years i noticed that old royal families living in hills in india have well preserved pearls though families living in dry places always have cracked pearls.
i often meet these old royals to buy nice gemstones or pearls they have inherited from erstwhile rulers of different parts of India.
anyhow,to provide ideal humid conditions to your pearls is to keep a wet piece of cloth in your pearl box,the water will slowly evaporate from the wet cloth and keep your pearl box well humid.you can wet the cloth again in a week or 10 days or more depending on how fast or slow the cloth dries up.
you are from Malaysia and natural environment in your country remain humid so the wet cloth should last long.
alternatively if you want to spend money you can buy a cigar keeping box which has a humidity control system.you can keep your pearls in that box too.
i have never thought of storing my pearls dipped in water,i think they just need more humidity and a storage box with a wet cloth perfectly serve the purpose.
i hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:22 am 
Valued Contributor

Many thanks to your advise.
Malaysia is considered as having equatorial climate which is humid and hot, with even annual distribution of rain. However, the northern peninsular Malaysia (my hometown) has more pronounced dry season of several months every year. Therefore, I am trying to figure out a much better way of keeping the pearls there during dry seasons, especially when I am not around there.
Again, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:14 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

:lol:

There are many good tips for pearls care like:

__ Gently wipe pearls with a soft cloth to remove body oils or dirt before putting them away.
__ Pearls should be stored away from other objects or jewelry that may scratch the pearls’ surface.
__ Keep pearls away from chlorine bleach, vinegar, ammonia, hairspray, perfume, and cosmetics, as these substances will damage the pearl surface.
__ Make sure to put pearls on after finished spraying perfume or hairspray and putting on makeup.
__ If pearls are very small, knots between each pearl may be undesirable.