January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Basra Pearl
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:04 am 
Are there any simple tests to identify if a pearl has it's origin from Basra ?

Post subject: Re: Basra Pearl
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Smells of oil and insurgents..? Sorry bad, very bad joke...
I guess probably some destructive analysis of certain trace elements could give a hint but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:49 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Conny Forsberg wrote:
Smells of oil and insurgents..?

"I always believed in being myself"- Thelonious Monk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:59 am 
LOL...
So well, its a tricky thing to test. Cheers newayz !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:02 am 
Valued Contributor

First first of all,there is no origin given to pearls by any lab in this world.secondly BASRA is just a city which was a hub for pearl trading so it got famous,its similar to Hyderabad in india which doesn't produce pearls but due to its pearl trading business hydrabad pearls got famous in India.
if you send your pearl to Mumbai pearl testing laboratory it will just give a certificate saying REAL PEARL with no mention of its type.Indian traders have had a misconception that all the pearls which pass the Mumbai lab test are Basra pearls,but then for exceptions there are pearls which are passed by Mumbai pearls but disputed to be called as Venezuela pearls.you will see a lot of such pearls in the market,and ironically Venezuela is not producing any commercial quantity of pearls for almost more then 3 decades and even when pearls were coming from Venezuela sea,they were small in sizes.
anyhow there are no home tests to know the origin of a pearl.your only bet can be international labs like GIA and SSEF which write the type of mollusk from which the pearl came from,the type of mollusk certainly helps to know that a pearl has been formed into a particular mollusk but again that type of mollusk can be found in sea other then the Persian gulf.
conclusively there is no lab or a test which can tell that the pearl originated in Persian gulf and qualify to be called as Basra.
Pearls is a tricky business,and if you trade them based on Mumbai pearl testing reports then enjoy the joyride as their reports are never same for any single pearl.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:02 pm 
Valued Contributor

kashmirsapphire wrote:
and if you trade them based on Mumbai pearl testing reports then enjoy the joyride as their reports are never same for any single pearl.

haha did you obtain two different reports for the same pearl? That would be something, but wouldn't surprise me that much, you are also right- last I've heard Basra isn't on a sea bottom :lol:
just joking hope it's not going to offend anyone...

Gems & Jewellery Blog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:11 pm 
Valued Contributor

Kane wrote:
kashmirsapphire wrote:
and if you trade them based on Mumbai pearl testing reports then enjoy the joyride as their reports are never same for any single pearl.

haha did you obtain two different reports for the same pearl? That would be something, but wouldn't surprise me that much, you are also right- last I've heard Basra isn't on a sea bottom :lol:
just joking hope it's not going to offend anyone...

yes its a fact,mumbai lab will pass a pearl as natural pearl,and you submit same pearl in few days and they may call it a cultured one.and due to this problem,here in india every next buyer of a certified pearl ask for a fresh certificate from mumbai pearl testing lab,because everyone fears that the pearl may not pass this time.
of course its funny :D

i prefer GIA certificate to get my pearls tested but ironocally local indian dealers dont buy on GIA or SSEF pearl reports.they still insist on mumbai lab reports.lol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:48 am 
Thank you guyz, helpful information indeed :)