Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Yellow stone
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Also the Chelsea filter reaction was inert in case you are wondering.

lol..red rag to a bull

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:26 am 
Site Admin

Certainly BJBecker you can choose to spend your time and money anyway you wish.

I just don't want anyone reading this thread to get the impression that this instrument would be a serious option for someone working or hoping to work professionally within our industry. It's not.

This method is too time consuming, and the results are unreliable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:36 am 
Gold Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
With all due respect, how long do you think one would last as a salaried gemologist/appraiser if it took 1/2 a day to compile enough information to make a "best guess" on a stone's identity.

I believe extrapolating from a beginner just learning how to use an instrument to a salaried appraiser is a bit of a stretch.
Quote:
Heaven forbid if this mystery stone was a yellow scapolite.

Why should that be so? One quick look would show if the B/D ratio was right or wrong.
But then, most gem ID teachers don't know about B/D because their training is 30 years out of date. Basil Anderson knew all this in 1980.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:16 am 
Gold Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
I just don't want anyone reading this thread to get the impression that this instrument would be a serious option for someone working or hoping to work professionally within our industry. It's not.

This method is too time consuming, and the results are unreliable.

Many of us believe all those “serious professional gemologists”, as well as students, could use a little help.

After all, gemological teachers haven’t adopted any new instruments for basic gem identification for over 45 years. As we all know, they are still stuck with OTL.

You previously acknowledged that you didn’t understand my method. Now, you say is too time consuming, and the results are unreliable.

May I ask, “Where is your data?” Time Consuming? Unreliable? Not a serious option for someone working or hoping to work professionally within our industry? I do not think so.

Certainly, this is not an instrument one would proudly display for showing off, but when the nitty gritty job of identifying OTL gems is at hand, it pays its way in the back room.

Suppose I gave to one of those “serious professionals,” or even a student, the task of identifying a lot of ten stones I wish to purchase for my collection. They are all round brilliants of less than 25 points in size. I know their names are supposed to be Sphalerite, Titanite, Zircon, Zinkite, Cerussite, Cassiterite, Powellite, and 3 OTL synthetics? All I want to know is if the names are correct. I do not need any a written certificate. How do you think one might proceed?

I am indeed serious to learn the approach to this simple problem in gemstone identification that you would recommend.

P.S. I would predict most “serious professionals” would opt out of that job, because they couldn’t see how to make a profit and/or they didn’t have the capability and wouldn’t admit it. On the other hand, students would probably do it for Free, just to get the experience. For you students, you have a time limit of 2 hours. :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:53 am 
Site Admin

Bill Hanneman wrote:
After all, gemological teachers haven’t adopted any new instruments for basic gem identification for over 45 years. As we all know, they are still stuck with OTL.

I seems to me that Dr Hannemann has dismissed all modern instruments being produced. I know he was in discussion with the owners of the GemmoRaman at Tucson. And just for the record, the GemmoRaman do handle OTL minerals completely. It does not give the RI but it makes an ID which, if you are interested. can lead you to the RI.

If the Hannemann refractometer had been such a useful tool for jewelers and gemmologists it would have been standard by now, wouldn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:09 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

This post died, and that's a shame. I am very interested in both sides of this argument as far as instrumentation is concerned. Any updates?