January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: a display of color of a different kind. Aurora in AK
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:38 pm 
Gold Member

The Aurora was out the past few nights, and it was clear. I have some from tax day, that I am still processing. These are from the night of the 20th.

It may still be good tonight, and in about a week, but it looks like I will be cloud covered in a week. I am having to stay closer to home, so these are at an airport around the corner. I may try zooming in a little next time to get rid of some of the lights. But it is convenient. It also saves a LOT on gas. It was costing me $20 per trip for some of the other spots.

I may have to reprocess these and slow them down, they are 4 second exposures instead of 30 or so.

Anyhow enjoy

The green streak that is steady may be the asteroid, not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:00 pm 
Gold Member

I am loosing the fight with my tools trying to process clips with large number of files (over about 350). IMGUR is working with me to see why they do not post. But the free tool also crashes, after I have selected and then loaded 700 frames. (which takes a while). I am also doing this on a lap top, so it is cpu limited.

Anyhow, here is a clip of about 350 frames (out of 1100 for the night) from 4/19. I had to adjust the exposure, and the first segment is darker that I would like, (something else to work later).

These are shot at a kp of around 4.5 to 5. It is supposed to get up to a in two nights tonight, and we are scheduled for clear skies, It might may be arriving early. The expectation for the KP right now is for a 3, and it is up to 5. (but it is just 4:00 pm, so who knows what it will be like at midnight.

once in a while this thread does not look right ot me, it may be because there is so many gifs loaded that take p the band width. If people are having trouble viewing it I can start a new thread.

Here is the direct IMGUR album, I send this to famly and frends, and with one link they can see all of the images in this thread.. You may have to copy and paste it, my ie crashes when I get it open. You are welcome to share this with folks.

http://imgur.com/a/aB3ED

Anyhow I am at 3553 hits (if I remember correctly)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

My, your pictures are just magic. I can't believe the night sky could ever look so wondrous.

In San Francisco, one really doesn't see sky; only a mysterious foggy haze glowing over the buildings.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:35 pm 
Gold Member

Thanks for the kind comments.

I to like your night skyline.
I lost the post, s this is try two.

I am reprocessing the images over the past few nights. I was trying to break the clip when I shifted the camera to get a more active display, but I am giving up n that and going for a linger clip, so some of these jump. Ther are also a few car lights, sorry.

2014 04 19 up to 1 am

2014 04 19 last -

I will post the others in a new post, 4 sets seems to have problems for me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:38 pm 
Gold Member

and two more sets.

I have one short clip from last night, before the clouds got to thick. The KP level s still up there, but I am clouded in. GRRRRRRRR.\

2017 04 22 first half

2017 04 22 last half –

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:46 pm 
Gold Member

The KP levels were good agin on 4/23, but we had clouds.

It was actually the strongest KP levels we have seen for a long time.

And then the clouds got thick. All O got was this red glow…… which is frustrating. Ther must have been a good display with a lot of red to give this color, and I could not see it. The KP levels are still p, but we have cloud cover.

April 16th is the last night that we officially have night. We only reach Astronomical Twilight: now, which is what you need to see the stars. On may 7th we have 1 hour of Au Astronomical Twilight , then on the 8th we only reach Nautical Twilight. On June 8th we only reach Civil Twilight. WE get some Astronomical Twilight back starting August 6th. So basically I will be getting some sleep at night, (unless it is really really strong) … from May 7th until August 6th.

just tracking 3585 hits

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:07 pm 
Gold Member

sorry no pictures. So frustrating., Ther was a Coronal Mass Ejection that hit earth last night, just at midnight out time. The KP level reached 7 (most of the ones you see abpve are at 3-4 sometimes 5). BUT it was very light (twighlight) and cloudy last night at that time.....

The sun did not even wet until 11:15 PM.

We do not hit astronomical twilight now until August 6th.

oh well

sorry for the false alarm.

with the KP level of 7 last night, most of the states that borer Canada and one set below that could have seen it.
I should have given a heads up.

I hope that some of you got the chance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:48 pm 
Gold Member

There has been some good KP levels, but it has been cloudy on those nights.
I should have gone out earlier on this night, you can see hat the display was going when I got set up but that the clouds were already starting to come in.
You can see a display above the clouds in moist of this GIF.

The KP levels are back up tonight, up to a 6, which are strong, most of the images I have are at a 3-4. BUT IT IS CLOUDY.

Anyhow here is a little teaser.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:13 pm 
Gold Member

It has been a while, and these are not the best ones.... When it has been a high KP level, we have been overcast....... as usual.

I have a second set from this night, but the camera frosted over on me. I am processing it into a gif anyhow and may upload it if it is worth anything.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:27 pm 
Gold Member

2017 10 19 (I think)
This one has some frost setting in, but there is some nice stuff on the edges.

I am reprocessing the first set to speed it up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Perfect picture for a Halloween Sky!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:56 am 
Gold Member

Hoar frost pictures

I have not had much luck with Aurora lately. When it was active it was cloudy. Then we finally had a clear night, but it was so windy that the RV was bounding so much that the images were blurry. I tried stabilizer jacks, but the camera was still bouncing on the mount.

BUT
We did have some nice hoar frost, and I was finally able to get a few decent pictures using my phone.
So some pictures:

We also had the return of our local moose.

And I was brushing the dog recently.

He is shedding just a little.

I had to check that I had the name correct. And found the following on hoar frost.

From
http://addins.kttc.com/blogs/weather/hoar-frost-pics-2/

As far as why it’s called hoar frost…I did some research and it’s not as bad as what it sounds. The term “hoar” goes back to Old English, (the word “har” meaning “gray, venerable, old” – from Dictionary.com). In German, “Herr” refers to a title of respect (also Dictionary.com). Finally, “Of frost, it is recorded in O.E. (hoar-frost is c.1290), expressing the resemblance of the white feathers of frost to an old man’s beard” (Dictionary.com).
From what I found, “hoar” can be used as both a noun and an adjective. In the noun form, it refers to frost, or rime. You may know the word “hoary” refers to something that’s gray or white with age. Hope that clears up our funny sounding word.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:54 pm 
Gold Member

Been a frustrating winter.
the clouds are winning.
One good CME, the timing was correct, but cloudy.
There have only been two nights of decent KP levels (above 3) with no clouds, and both were boring.

last night the clouds cleared around 3:00, and the KP level was above 4. so I went out and set up.
The first few photos showed a hint of color over the mountains, but like I was expecting at the KP levels I was seeing.

So I went ahead and left the camera run and tried to sleep in the cold RV. (it was in the teems.
I turned off the RV furnace to try and save the battery and curled up. A memory foam mattress with a gel layer that normally keeps you from getting to hot, is really cold when it is 15 degrees.

I did get some sleep, and the dawn came.

I put together a few frames of the boring aurora, and went ahead and added the dawn coming to the mountains. I was looking north so there was not even decent color from the sunrise.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:46 pm 
Gold Member

And I miss another storm because of clouds.

GRRRRR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:51 pm 
Gold Member

It continues to be a frustrating winter for Aurora. There is another Geomagnetic storm tonight, arriving at just the right time, and again we have cloud. It is actually been snowing all day. We have has some warm weather, up to 35. Then we had a lot of heavy snow. The snow on the shed started to slip but did not make it all of the way. I continue to be surprised how strong snow can be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next