January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Aurora possible for some over the next few days
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:53 pm 
Gold Member

Enough people look at my aurora pictures I thought that I would post this.

This is from

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/news

She's back! That massive coronal hole system that faced us four weeks ago is back and it survived its trip around the farside of our star. This truly gigantic coronal hole managed to cause geomagnetic storming conditions on five consecutive days during the first five days of this month. Fantastic auroral displays were reported from all around the world.

But there is more! We actually believe that this coronal hole became bigger during the past few weeks. Compared to the last rotation, the extension that crosses the equator onto the southern hemisphere does seem to have grown in size.

If you want to check the current aurora levels, this is a good site.

http://www.aurora-service.org/aurora-forecast/

It gives the current levels, a prediction foe wat it is in an hour, and other interesting stuff.

I wish you all luck.

It looks like we have clear skys the next two days, and we are predicted to have G1 storm levels tomorrow night, right around midnight Alaska time. There are even higher levels predicted for later in the day, so the folks in England, Scotland, and maybe southern Australia may be in luck.

Good luck. Let me know if you are able to see any.

If you want to try and take some pictures, use a tripod, as wide an angle lense as you have. Open the F stop full open. My exposures range from 6 seconds when there is some moon or a lot of snow , to 30 seconds with no moon and a lot of green trees absorbing the light.

Right now it is a wayning crecent moon of 17 percent. That is good it will be darker, and easier to see the aurora if it is faint.

Post subject: Re: Aurora possible for some over the next few days
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:31 pm 
Gold Member

It is Thursday the 13th at 3:30 Alaska so but 630 central east coast central time and we are approaching AG to storm the levels are going to be at 86 and about a seven going above that so you folks a in the northern and US will have a pretty good chance tonight starting in the next hour or so him to get some good Aurora and it's clear tonight You're in Alaska so I might get a try out my new RV