January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: What books do you like?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:38 pm 
Gold Member

Thanks, Tom. An interesting paper. Is the one you have an English edition?

Is it the same book listed at the Library of Congress website?
https://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/search?searchArg1=93100890&argType1=phrase&searchCode1=K010&searchType=2&combine2=and&searchArg2=&argType2=all&searchCode2=GKEY&combine3=and&searchArg3=&argType3=all&searchCode3=GKEY&location=all&place=all&type=all&language=all&recCount=10

A PDF scan of this book is available:
http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.rbc/mcmanusyoung.00890.2

Thank you for posting this. I always keep an eye out at yard sales, but never got that lucky!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:46 pm 
Valued Contributor

AlBalmer wrote:
Thanks, Tom. An interesting paper. Is the one you have an English edition?

Is it the same book listed at the Library of Congress website?
https://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/search?searchArg1=93100890&argType1=phrase&searchCode1=K010&searchType=2&combine2=and&searchArg2=&argType2=all&searchCode2=GKEY&combine3=and&searchArg3=&argType3=all&searchCode3=GKEY&location=all&place=all&type=all&language=all&recCount=10

A PDF scan of this book is available:
http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.rbc/mcmanusyoung.00890.2

Thank you for posting this. I always keep an eye out at yard sales, but never got that lucky!

Oh, wow! How beautiful is this? =D> Thank you!

....Gawd...I'm such a nerd, lol... Seriously, though, seeing this beautiful old book just made my day. I'm delighted that LC has these lovely treasures online. I need to investigate them more often.

Last edited by Tygurrr-I on Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:54 pm 
Valued Contributor

Tom Herman wrote:
Excellent idea on Half.com... BTW: After our latest postings, I found myself at Barnes and Noble... I checked out the SciFi section, and found a bunch of works by Turtledove: Ther was "Bombs Away!", an alternative hidtory of the Korean War where McAurthur does go nuclear, and "Fallout: The Hot War", about things going really bad in Europe and escalating from there (cool cover picture, of the Fallout Shelter symbol: I have two NIB Fallout Shelter signs in my Civil Defense collection (along with the appropriate Geiger counter)), and a trilogy of books about a cataclysmic Yellowstone volcano super explosion... Prices were around $8.95 for most of them, with a few select books still in the $20 or more range.
I held off purchasing any books, and did a quick sweep of the antique stores instead.

Interesting idea on books: I know someone that collaborated on a gaming or fantasy book with three other people.
That actually worked fairly well.
I have at least one, maybe two book I need to write, but too little time at the present.
I'm OCD, the work would have to be PERFECT, so by definition it would never get written...
I'm working on that, too... The whole concept of "it's good enough, but not perfect" is difficult for me.

-Tom

I have yet to read the. Turtledove books, but they are on my list.

I was on an online education forum where I was approached by an author who wanted to interview many of us to write a book. She arranged it by asking as many questions as she could think up, and turned the questions into chapter titles. Then she supplied the answers with quotes from our completed surveys and interviews. As far as I know, it's still in the education section of the public library, and was actually a pioneering type of work in it's own niche modest way. We all had pseudonyms for the kids to protect their privacy. Anyway, it felt good to help contribute something like that for future generations, and it think it would be a great way to honor many of the people in this community to do likewise. I could help, if people here would like to see it happen. Get some use out of my scientific research methods coursework, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:26 pm 
Valued Contributor

Tygurr...

Cool on the way that was done and stuff generated!

Yes, mine is the English edition.
The cover is different from the one there in the LC edition... I suspect mine may have been replaced and rebound at some point in its life.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:43 pm 
Valued Contributor

Tom Herman wrote:
Tygurr...

Cool on the way that was done and stuff generated!

Yes, mine is the English edition.
The cover is different from the one there in the LC edition... I suspect mine may have been replaced and rebound at some point in its life.

Tom and Al,

Thank you both for the recommend. I've been reading it the past few hours, while also participating in a birthday party with my cousins,....I got to show them and my son this beautiful book. Wish someone had shown me this when I was a kid, and it really wish I had known about it when my son was a kid, too. I love the wholistic approach to learning/ teaching, as it gives relevance, a "horizon line" to the knowledge. Everything *is* connected, it didn't occur in a vacuum... therefore it shouldn't be taught or learned in a vacuum,either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:09 pm 
Gold Member

Tom Herman wrote:
Brian,

Thanks for the book title!
And for the memories... I knew a LOT of people that worked at the Merrimack Valley Works...
I got the degree as well, but have bounced between industry and government.
It has been a lot of fun... Oddly, the family made its money from telephone, but that is one thing I'm not very good at.
I am amazed at the work that came out of these places back in the glory days: Have you seen the Bell Labs video on how they perfected growing Quartz crystals? I think it's a 45 minute movie, but it is great, classic material.
Where I grew up, we had a lot of industry pioneers in electronics and RF: I knew people like Ed Shively (high power FM and TV transmitting antennas), and met Doc Brown from Dielectric Communications... It was a really cool time, having all these role models from MIT and other schools living locally.
Had I been 20 years older, I probably would have worked for them.
I'm amazed at how they came up with concepts, figured stuff out, and made things work.
I've been spending a lot of time with super high precision analog components of the late 1940's, early 1950's and making them work again. Art Collins and his Collins PTO electronic oscillators are incredible: Even with the inherent precision, things still weren't quite entirely linear. His answer was to have a mechanical corrector that tuned each unit to the exact frequency! It's because of stuff like this that we went to the Moon...
Yes, I also knew Stanley Perham... A true gem of a man (pun intended)...

-Tom

Brian wrote:
Tom Herman wrote:
I just got done reading The Telephone Book: Bell, Watson, Vail, and American life, 1876-1976.
Pretty good read on the history of telephone and the amazing people behind it.
-Tom

You should consider "The Idea Factory: Bell Labs and the Great Age of American Innovation" by Jon Gertner. It was a fascinating read.

I remember a Bell Labs scientist coming to my high school English class (???) and telling us if we went to college and got a degree in math or physics, we'd have a job where he worked. I got that degree, but by that time Bell Labs no longer existed. Reading the book made me nostalgic for what I had missed.

But I like fiction too. William Gibson's "The Peripheral" was pretty good, the best thing he's written since the 80's. And Neal Stephenson's "Seveneves" was fun, pretty much like all his are.

Re-reading my post, it sounds like I am melancholy for what I had missed. I am not.
After degree, each place I've gone, I've found interesting problems to solve.

And Tom, I had to laugh at your reference to family and money.
It seems my family's money-making gene skipped over me as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:41 pm 
Gold Member

I recommend this one:
http://earthscienceissues.net/Fiction/In_the_Rough.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:59 am 
Valued Contributor

I haven't posted on this thread in awhile, just wanted to thank everyone who contributed something to read. I am getting caught up, all of the contributions have been very interesting, thanks again! :D