Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What books do you like?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:32 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi Everyone :mrgreen:

Was just curious to see what kind of books you prefer to read?

I tend to prefer non fiction over fiction, myself. Obviously, gemology and gem cutting were some favorites. I also like to read various chemistry books and books on natural healing, Chinese medicine, etc., because I create natural and organic skincare and some cosmetics although my interest lies more in making healthy products,...the added beauty that occurs from being healthy is just icing on the cake IMO. Right now, I'm also trying to teach myself the art of perfumery because no one seems to make scents that are comprised of all natural essential oils anymore. The perfume companies formed an alliance to make everything artificially.

Right now, I am reading a really cool book that I've heard about since I was a little kid but I never had time to read it before now: "The Secret Life of Plants". So far, it's awesome. I've also been reading Max Boot's "Invisible Armies" and also "Preparation for the Next Life" by Atticus Lish.

All History, biographies, war strategies, spy thrillers, psychological thrillers, true crime, are also subjects that I enjoy.

I tend to stay away from fiction because the truly great fiction ends up profoundly influencing me into making bad judgements in life, lol. Had to find out the hard way that "Byronic heroes" straight out of an Emily Bronte novel are not suitable marriage material!

Guess I'm asking you because I've been invited to join a book discussion group, but the people asking me are only into fiction. I figured that there was a chance that you all might find other options more interesting and maybe you could give me some good book leads! :D

Thanks,

Sim

Post subject: Re: What books do you like?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:43 pm 
Gold Member

After about 60 years of reading mostly math, physics, chemistry, computing and general science, I'm into my fiction phase :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:56 pm 

I like fantasy best. Recently I've been really enjoying Sanderson's Cosmere books.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:44 pm 
Valued Contributor

AlBalmer wrote:
After about 60 years of reading mostly math, physics, chemistry, computing and general science, I'm into my fiction phase :-)

Are you reading anything good right now? What kind of fiction?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:05 pm 
Gold Member

Mostly mysteries and thrillers, but a few classics and SF. Just finished Gulliver's Travels, which I read in high school. Police procedurals, providing the protagonist isn't an idiot who eventually stumbles on a solution. Just started Jack Higgins' "The Eagle Has Landed", a semi-historical account of a German attempt to assassinate Churchill.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:23 pm 
Valued Contributor

AlBalmer wrote:
Mostly mysteries and thrillers, but a few classics and SF. Just finished Gulliver's Travels, which I read in high school. Police procedurals, providing the protagonist isn't an idiot who eventually stumbles on a solution. Just started Jack Higgins' "The Eagle Has Landed", a semi-historical account of a German attempt to assassinate Churchill.

You know that's really something,... When I read your 1st post, for some reason the book, "The Hunt for Red October" came vividly to mind! :D have you ever read it?

Do you read on a kindle or device or the actual book? I must admit the Kindle app saves me a lot of money in books, but I do get nostalgic for actual books.

Last edited by Tygurrr-I on Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:52 pm 
Gold Member

I did read "The Hunt for Red October", quite a while ago. Now that you mention it, that's worth revisiting. I read on a Kindle nowadays, mostly. Between what's on the device and the online archive, I've got about 1065 books. Maybe I should find a more productive use of my time! I dabble at cooking, and cooking e-books I keep on a Kindle Fire.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:20 pm 
Valued Contributor

Stephen Challener wrote:
I like fantasy best. Recently I've been really enjoying Sanderson's Cosmere books.

Never heard of him, so I looked him and his books up. I used to read a lot of fantasy, many years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:18 am 
Lee Child, the Jack Reacher series. John D Macdonald, the Travis Mcgee series. The Foundation Trilogy by Asimov, Elmore Leonard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:27 am 
Valued Contributor

nickatnight wrote:
Lee Child, the Jack Reacher series. John D Macdonald, the Travis Mcgee series. The Foundation Trilogy by Asimov, Elmore Leonard

LOVE 'EM! :D especially Elmore Leonard, at least during these past few years!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:22 pm 
Gold Member

The Dresden Files

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

I vacuum up non-fiction. Right now I'm on a history of fashion kick.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:10 am 
Valued Contributor

dchallener wrote:
The Dresden Files

Hi :mrgreen:

I think I would like to read these. I was just browsing this blog before you posted:
http://www.multidimensions.com/the-unco ... dimension/

In the book that I'm reading right now, "The Secret Life of Plants", the author states that the energy of plants connects with that of "their"humans, and can actually help facilitate people's transcendence to different dimensions and to open up creativity, merely from proximity. For example, the author attached a polygraph to one of his plants, and thought certain thoughts ranging from love to destruction. When the author thought about burning the plant, the polygraph started to go wild,...it seemed as if the plant was reading his thoughts. He actually did carry out part of the threat by burning one of the leaves. Later, he had a young woman imagine entering the plant through an imaginary doorway in the stem. The moment she imagined entering the plant to the moment she exited, the plant showed certain signs on both a polygraph and galvanometer. When she left the plant, she described it's cellular structure in great detail,...including the fact that part of the plant was burned, which is something she knew nothing about. Supposedly, this same test was repeated with others with exactly the same results. Moreover, the plant bonded with the woman, and showed signs that it was reacting to her emotions, such as fear, when she was on the other side of the planet ( eg, the exact moment she landed in an airport, she was afraid of flying, supposedly the plant registered a reaction).

Whatever anyone may think or believe, it's a lot of fun to read about and ponder. :mrgreen:

Its interesting to me about how many authors throughout time have remarked on a fourth dimension in their literature. Same with music. Indeed, I don't think bands like Pink Floyd were ever in the third dimension at all, lol. Guess this is my way of saying I believe this is a compelling topic.

Btw,Have you ever heard of book bub? You can get many books really cheap there, usually from .0-$2

Last edited by Tygurrr-I on Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:15 am 
Valued Contributor

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
I vacuum up non-fiction. Right now I'm on a history of fashion kick.

A few years ago, I bought someone a book on the history of fashion, and she hasn't put it down since. She's an artist, and is utilizing the designs in her artwork. It's a very interesting subject, because like jewelry, it's a wearable art form that reflects what's going on in history.

My grandmother used to live across the street from the metropolitan museum of art, so I'd go there practically every day when I was a kid. The fashion wing downstairs in the basement was wonderful. So was the Japanese/samurai wing, for the costumes/ shoes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:27 pm 
Valued Contributor

I just got done reading The Telephone Book: Bell, Watson, Vail, and American life, 1876-1976.
Pretty good read on the history of telephone and the amazing people behind it.
Yes, I read a lot of technical books as well. One of my favorites is Laboratory Methods of Inorganic Chemistry (1909) by Heinrich and Wilhelm Biltz... There are all sorts of oddball experiments, my favorites being processing rocks (Lepidolite, Molybdenite, Pitchblende, Beryl, Columbite, Monazite, Wolframite, and others) and extracting the useful metals and their salts.
If I read fiction, I enjoy the Harry Turtledove books. Made the mistake of picking up one of the the Worldwar books, and quickly ate through I think it was 3500 pages... Most enjoyable!
Then there is the 1851 edition of the United States Dispensatory...
I have the second edition of Joel Arem's Color Encyclopedia of Gemstones to go through soon.

-Tom