January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: It got a little cold here in Alaska -30f in anchorage
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:45 pm 
Gold Member

It is a little cooler here than normal. We are at -30F (-34c). We also had a good snow fall. It has been a challenge getting the cars started. This is abnormal for Anchorage it more like Fairbanks, but they are at -50. I did get the RV started two days ago, and had trouble on the unplowed roads. I decided to go ahead and get tire chains, which I planned to get for the trip back to Dallas anyhow. They work great when there is snow on the roads, but limit the speed I can go. They are a little rough when the roads get cleared. I was going to start the RV and take them off, but I could not get it to turn over yesterday. I almost had it started this morning. I will and charging the batteries to full charge, and will try some starting fluid in a little while.

I wish I had my machine shop, I am planning on working on a faceting head, and I need a shrink fit for the mast into the base. I f=cold just put the mast outside overnight and the shrink fit would be easy.

Here is the picture out the front. It was a heavy snow.

And the boys age getting bored. Tserber (the furry one) can take the cold for a while. But the other one does not have the insulation needed. He does not like to go out for his morning constitutional.

We should be getting warmer by the weekend. The high is expected to get back to 0F (-17c) as a high by Saturday.

I missed some good aurora last night when I could not get the RV started. There may be a display tonight, and then it is quiet for a week or so.

I am now pretty much healed up from the second surgery to reconnect my back side. My wofe has headed home and things are getting back to a normal routine. I hope to facet something soon.

They are changing their mind on the implant for my daughter and are looking at a different model, which is delaying things....... again.... Hopefully they can do a trial in Feb of he new one.

Post subject: Re: It got a little cold here in Alaska -30f in anchorage
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:49 pm 
Gold Member

I just tried to grill a steak (I was really loking forward to it). The propane grill would not fire up. The boiling point of propane is -46, and I guess with a little bit of pressure from the tank, it is just to cold for it to work.

Next time I will bring the tank in the house for a few hours, but for now it is broiling in the oven.

got to turn it.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:23 am 
Site Admin

Yep, that is officially COLD.
Here in SF we have had lots of rain and Cold for us....40ºF.
I'm on the stove (not actually of course) making a Japanese curry.....no problems. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:23 am 
Platinum Member

Ha!!! I thought Alaska was "beyond" cold, but after wintering in South Dakota, after moving 6 months ago from the South, I have a new respect for the cold. We got -20F where I am at...not counting windchill...and trust me it's very windy here in SD..LOL
Alaska at -30? Now I know how that feels(close to it), and can appreciate a number such as that.

The irony in it all is, I never thought I would notice, enjoy, and/or appreciate when it's only 15 degrees outside!
You really notice how warm 15 degrees is compared to -5F or anything below 0 degrees! Crazy!

My blood thinned out living in the South.....sigh :?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:10 pm 
Valued Contributor

Good luck getting your rolling stock started!
Reminds me of growing up in New England...
We'd see some fairly low temperatures there, as well.
I remember driving to HS one day: We started out at 40 below, and rolled through 50 below, and it was a bit warmer when we got to Portland..
The heater froze up (VW), so we rolled the windows down so our breaths wouldn't freeze on the windshield.
People thought we were nuts when we rolled through Foster's Corner with the windows down!
We're doing OK here is SW WA: Coming out of characteristically uncommon weather with lots of snow at valley floor levels.
Now we're in the 40's and 50's, and everything has melted.
Working on plans and routes to go to Tucson next week.
It looks like we're going to get hit with ice storms again, will have to go through California. Yuck.
Anything I touched and saw the last time I was there is now an antique. It's been that long.

-Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:53 am 
Gold Member

I know that I can out in a heater and plug it in. I was hoping to avoid it. I hope tat it does not stay this cold for long.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:47 am 
Platinum Member

HaHa...I can only imagine you guys driving around with the windows down when it's that cold. Folks thought you were crazy, I bet. Makes sense about the windshield freezing up...never thought about that

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:29 pm 
Gold Member

wilsonintexas wrote:
I just tried to grill a steak (I was really loking forward to it). The propane grill would not fire up. The boiling point of propane is -46, and I guess with a little bit of pressure from the tank, it is just to cold for it to work.

Next time I will bring the tank in the house for a few hours, but for now it is broiling in the oven.

Hope that refers to the steak, and not the propane tank. :-D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:47 pm 
Gold Member

dchallener wrote:
wilsonintexas wrote:

Hope that refers to the steak, and not the propane tank. :-D

That brought a smile to my face.

The steak turned out, and it is now up to 20F, so the RV has been started, and the grill is working. I did a steak again last night and fajitas are scheduled for tonight.