January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: supper flowers alaska only 6 mosquito bites to take
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:21 pm 
Gold Member

It is now summer here in Alaska. I risked the mosquitos and thought that I could go outside without bug repellent. MISTAKE. 6 bites in the few minutes it took to get these pictures. I gave up and went inside. I need to get a summer hat, they keep biting me on the top of my bald head. I have a net that will fit on the hat to go over the face. I will have to get use to wearing it. I hate to put on the bug spray just to go outside and take a few pictures. Anyhow here are some of the wild flowers that are growing along the driveway.

I think that these are blue bells

This pretty one is from a plant called “devils club”. The stems are covered is very sharp thorns. I had to buy puncture resistant gloves to try and pull it out. They get caught in the long coat of the dog, which then brings it inside. It really hurts when you step on a piece that has embedded itself in the carpet.

The not so pretty end of the “devils club”

Not sure what this one is.

These are high bush cranberry flowers.

Post subject: Re: supper flowers alaska only 6 mosqueto bites to take
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:16 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Beautiful flowers, 22 hours of daylight, what's not to like?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:33 pm 
Gold Member

Alan F. wrote:
Beautiful flowers, 22 hours of daylight, what's not to like?
Mosquitoes! I don't like them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:52 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I recall an acquaintance visiting a country where mosquito's were a serious problem. He was in the bazaar when he noticed a stall selling "Certain Mosquito killer, 100% Guaranteed". So he bought one, took it back to his hotel and found that it was 2 small blocks of wood marked "a" and "b" and a slip of instructions which read "Place mosquito on block "a", cover with block "b", strike block "b" firmly". Infallible, I submit!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:26 pm 
Gold Member

Up here there would be a lot of board clapping going on.

I had just come home from a trip anc pulled in the garage, and closed the garage door. I noticed that a tire on the RV was low, so I plugged in the compressor. By the time the tire was infl;aged, I had swatted 2 but missed 4 more, in less than 5 minutes in an enclosed garage.

I am not even in the worse area. I will look for some pictures of the swarms that hit the north slope areas, it is impressive.

A local pharmacy has mixed up a cream that does a good job of setteling things down quickly. AT the end of the season last year they had it on sale, I made an offer and bought all that was left for a deep discount...... I have already used up 3 tubes of it. without it, I swell up with a welt that is up to 3 inches across.

AT least if I get it on quickly it stops itching within a few minutes, instead of days.

But this was about some nice flowers.

Post subject: Re: supper flowers alaska only 6 mosquito bites to take
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:34 am 
Site Admin

Good grief.
I always wonder about nature's security systems like the stems on the “devils club”.
Why?
Why are thistles, roses, blackberries, artichokes and lemon trees protected with such heavy armor and strawberries, gardenias, blueberries, oranges and asparagus not?

Curious. No?

Mosquitoes and fleas are probably the planet's futile attempt at population control.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:32 pm 
Gold Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
Good grief.
I always wonder about nature's security systems like the stems on the “devils club”.
Why?
Why are thistles, roses, blackberries, artichokes and lemon trees protected with such heavy armor and strawberries, gardenias, blueberries, oranges and asparagus not?

Curious. No?

Mosquitoes and fleas are probably the planet's futile attempt at population control.

As far as thorns, I think that the following is plausible, not sure if it is true.

As far as blackberries, the fruit is certainly there to attract animals to eat them. Maybe the digestive track of birds, who can do not seem to be bothered by the thorns is shorter. The seeds themselves are intact when they are expelled. They fly further before expelling the seeds, so the plant propagates. But the tract of mammals (dear, humans, bears) who also eat the berries is longer and digest the seeds to the point that the seeds do not survive.

Again, plausible but I hive no idea of how true it is.

As far as Devils club specifically, there are a lot of moose in the region that devils club thrives. Moose up here live on tree limbs. When you have one in your area, they nibble the branches, and can cause a lot of damage. (but they were here first......)

I think that the devils club developed the thorns to protect themselves from being chewed by the moose. Some of the other flowers developed toxins to do the same.

This is a list of poisonous flowers.

•Aconitum.
•Adonis.
•Anthurium.
•Aquilegia.
•Asclepias.
•Azalea.
•Belladonna.
•Bloodflower.

Rhubarb developed poison, but only in the leaves. I am going to make some rhubarb bars after I post this, I just collected some fresh stems from a plant that popped up in the yard last year. I guess that the birds did a good job of distributing the seeds on this one.

Many of the flowers have hairy stems, which protect them s=from smaller insects. They are also smaller plants. I think that as the plants got taller, they stems also got more wood like (to support the weight) and the hair developed into harder thorns.

AGAIN, plausible, but I have no idea of how true it is.

As far as mosquitos and fleas, if not population control than selective breading for a sanity trait

I would also say a lot of face hair. If I were here full time outdoors, I would certainly grow a beard, just to keep them away from as much of my face as I could. But the native folks tend to have less face hair. ,

But off to do some baking. I am headed down to Dallas for 2 days. I have to make the trip to keep my insurance intact. I cannot be gone for more than 6 months, or they can drop me. So I have to fly in, have a quick stop at a dock in the box to have him check my ankle. That way the insurance has proof that I was in Texas.
a friend is going to let my daughter stay with them a few days, and the rhubarb is a thank you.

I can see that now I am just rambling. so I am going to post this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:01 pm 
Gold Member

Not sure what this one is.

Wild geranium?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:21 am 
Gold Member

wilsonintexas wrote:
I

This pretty one is from a plant called “devils club”. The stems are covered is very sharp thorns. I had to buy puncture resistant gloves to try and pull it out. They get caught in the long coat of the dog, which then brings it inside. It really hurts when you step on a piece that has embedded itself in the carpet.

The not so pretty end of the “devils club”

I have to correct myself.

These are actyallyt somne wild roses.

Devils club has a single large leave.... not compound ones.

BUT we also have devils club... and a lot of wild roses.... which are also a challenge here. still a lot of thorns....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:30 pm 
Valued Contributor

Nice flowers!
The roses and/or Devil's Club both are a pain... I'm always keeping the Multiflora Roses at bay at my house.
Just sprayed them again today. Garlon works miracles on them!
We have drainages full of Devil's Club here... I've learned not to grab for anything if I slip, or to be careful.
First time I grabbed a Devil's Club I learned my lesson... The thorns break off, and it's very difficult to get them out.

-Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:48 pm 
Gold Member

Tom Herman wrote:
Nice flowers!
The roses and/or Devil's Club both are a pain... I'm always keeping the Multiflora Roses at bay at my house.
Just sprayed them again today. Garlon works miracles on them!
We have drainages full of Devil's Club here... I've learned not to grab for anything if I slip, or to be careful.
First time I grabbed a Devil's Club I learned my lesson... The thorns break off, and it's very difficult to get them out.

-Tom

Where are you that you have the stuff?

So far I found a set of gloves that provide puncture protection on the hand as well as the back.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:15 pm 
Valued Contributor

Wilson,

I'm in SW Washington state... Plenty of water here, and the Devil's Club likes to lurk in the drainages I go tromping through.

-Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:03 pm 
Gold Member

Sounds about right.

It is nasty stuff.

I saw your comment on the aoura post. (I think it was you) either way, you should be able to0 see some in Washington state tonight and tomorrow.

Right now it is still not dark enough for me, but with a strond display it might show up.

I will probably take the RV out and try. Luckly it is not to cold, so if nothing else, I lay down in back and sleep there tonight. I may set up the camera and have it taking shots with it pointed north just in case. At least it is not real film.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:17 pm 
Valued Contributor

Wilson,

Yes, that was my post.
I've been watching 6 Meters, no aurora heard, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the band open yesterday afternoon, and the ARRL VHF Contest in full swing: I wound up working into Arizona, which is quite an accomplishment considering my marginal antennas.
I'll watch again throughout the day, and tonight.
HF worked well last night, very strong signals on 75M, with no unusual phenomena observed.
Hope you get some good pictures from where you are at!

-Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:13 pm 
Gold Member

It was cloudy....... and not very dark..... maybe tonight..... but it is winding down. I will update the other thread.