January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Gemology education
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:38 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Anybody with information about the quality of IGS, offering colored stone 'degree' in gem identification to professionals for a membership fee and cost of $400.00? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Gemology education
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:55 pm 
Gold Member

If you want a great education G.I.A., Gem A, AIGS or equivalent. If you want to buy a certificate then others may work. Just my opinion.

Last edited by 1bwana1 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

A couple more recommendations:
DGemG
http://www.dgemg.de/gemmologen_eng/index.php?seite=home
and
FGAA
http://www.gem.org.au
and
CGA
http://www.canadiangemmological.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:55 pm 

Thanks for two very diplomatic and informed replies. Ruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:59 pm 
Valued Contributor

Ruth Wright wrote:
Anybody with information about the quality of IGS, offering colored stone 'degree' in gem identification to professionals for a membership fee and cost of $400.00? Thanks!

i have monthly subscription to Igs,their articles are great.
a bit old,but i have learned a lot from them.
the monthly subscription give you access to all the site information,
so if you don't care much about the "certificate" you can have the same knowledge and save 400$.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:29 pm 
Gold Member

I have not seen the IGS member information so I don't know the totality of what is offered. But I do have questions.

Does IGS really have 3 required in residence Labs?

Does IGS require and provide 500 colored stone identifications that are all tutored and graded?

Does IGS provide hundreds of diamonds for tutored grading practice, and final exam?

Does IGS have graded quizzes, and in person final exams for each of the Diplomat courses testing? The standard for the Gem ID course is a 100% grade on the final.

Without those, there are books out there for far less than $400 where a diligent person could gain the textbook knowledge. I am not sure where one would get the practical training and experience except for live training, or a unique actual work environment.

From what i have seen the IGS is not equivalent to training provided by the major gemology institutions.

Last edited by 1bwana1 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

=D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:58 pm 
Valued Contributor

1bwana1 wrote:
I have not seen the IGS member information so I don't know the totality of what is offered. But I do have questions.

Does IGS really have 3 required in residence Labs?

Does IGS require and provide 500 colored stone identifications that are all tutored and graded?

Does IGS provide hundreds of diamonds for tutored grading practice, and final exam?

Does IGS have graded quizzes, and in person final exams for each of the Diplomat courses testing? The standard for the Gem ID course is a 100% grade on the final.

Without those, there are books out there for far less than $400 where a diligent person could gain the textbook knowledge. I am not sure where one would get the practical training and experience except for live training, or a unique actual work environment.

From what i have seen the IGS is not equivalent to training provided by the major gemology institutions.

your questions are rhetorical.
obviously, cannot expect it to be equivalent to the training provided by the major gemology institutions,
maybe thats why its cost only 400$ ?
in my opinion,i think IGS offers a great way to start learning gemology, seriously.
its a start, even more than a good start.
it cover all the basics, and give practical approach.
but yes,you are right that its far from be equivalent.
I wouldn't dare to call myself a GG with that certificate, just to be clear...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

I respect your observations, Dor, with one important exception.
There are a handful of discounted unaccredited trade schools which infer that their diplomas are equivalent to those offered by accredited educational facilities, both in the quality of education and respect within our industry.

This is simply not true.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:50 pm 
Gold Member

Dor,
My response and questions was not trying to challenge you or denigrate your efforts to learn Gemology, or insinuate that you would falsely represent yourself. I apologize if it came across that way. I respect anyone who puts in the effort to learn by whatever means is best for them.

My intention was to answer the question of the original poster and show the different level of education and resources being offered for learning Gemology. I feel this demonstration of the differences will help her make the best choice for her.

I also agree with Barbra that organizations that offer Titles based on thin education and skill testing diminish the value of real, earned titles, and that of those that made the effort to achieve them. This often leads to misrepresentations, and is often abused by those issuing false Lab Reports signed by people with big sounding but meaningless titles, that are so damaging to the whole gemstone field.

Once again, I want to stress that I don't put you in that category.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

May I suggest the Handbook of Gemmology?
http://handbookofgemmology.com/store.html

Less than $50 and it is totally awesome.
I think Dor will agree. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:21 am 
Valued Contributor

1bwana1 wrote:
Dor,
My response and questions was not trying to challenge you or denigrate your efforts to learn Gemology, or insinuate that you would falsely represent yourself. I apologize if it came across that way. I respect anyone who puts in the effort to learn by whatever means is best for them.

My intention was to answer the question of the original poster and show the different level of education and resources being offered for learning Gemology. I feel this demonstration of the differences will help her make the best choice for her.

I also agree with Barbra that organizations that offer Titles based on thin education and skill testing diminish the value of real, earned titles, and that of those that made the effort to achieve them. This often leads to misrepresentations, and is often abused by those issuing false Lab Reports signed by people with big sounding but meaningless titles, that are so damaging to the whole gemstone field.

Once again, I want to stress that I don't put you in that category.

i am sorry too. my response wasn't clear maybe,I didn't think you are trying to challenge me,and i have very much respect for you ,and I definitely didn't took it personally.
I based my knowledge on many other resources,not just IGS,
but regardless of that,i think its important to show the good side of IGS as well.
true. there is a big misleading, and i don't like it at all,
but also there is good knowledge there and one can learn a lot from reading the articles there.
at the end,i don't think that grading and identification of 500 stones and 3 days of playing in a lab+any theoretical Information (from any institute good as it can be) will make one a good gemologist anyway.
what's make a good gemologist is years and years of field experience and involving in the industry ,and that is something no one can teach.
i feel very bad too about false labs,scams etc, that are part of this industry,but i don't see any connection between been honest person and ones decision to learn in this institute or another.
again, this also is something that can't be taught.

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
May I suggest the Handbook of Gemmology?
http://handbookofgemmology.com/store.html

Less than $50 and it is totally awesome.
I think Dor will agree. :wink:

Totally agree with that. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:19 pm 

It seems that the simple, brief question that I asked the group has sparked more than I had intended, and I apologize for that. The special 3 day half price offer that I found did not say that it would do anything except provide a certificate of having completed some education and it was clear that it did not even try to compare itself to GIA certification. I have marinated myself in jewelry and gemology education hands-on for forty six years, am not likely to avail myself of the valuable prestige of a formal education via such as :) the GIA, and just wanted an opinion from my favorite respected online gemology group as to whether the paper offered for less-than-intense study was perhaps piece of expensive, worthless garbage.
Thanks for your responses.
posting.php?mode=reply&f=75&t=25144#

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ruth.
The answers we provide for questions asked often offer far more information than necessary.

That is what our forum is all about. :D
The answers will be available for others who perhaps are looking for options and alternatives they were unaware of.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:28 pm 

My opinion would be that the paper is worth nothing, but you may pick up useful i formation along the way. At least from what I have seen the igs has a reasonable reputation, so it wouldn't be worth less than nothing (unless someone mixed up a couple letters and mistook it for something else).