American Society of Appraisers - Education Update: Identifying Synthetic Diamonds CLICK
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:29 pm 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:10 pm
Posts: 1964
Location: PA
Rej, the example I made is most likely not the best example. In this design, there would have been two more facets at the corner of the stone, but I really had no idea what angle I would end up with them, but I did have an idea of what angle I wanted for the second crown tier. Once that facet was placed, then I would have created those two other corner facets.
When actually cutting the design, the order would have been arranged so that the crown facets progressed around the stone.

There is a much better example of translating a point in the GemCAD instruction pdf file. See page 48.

_________________
Precison Gem
www.precisiongem.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:27 pm 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:08 pm
Posts: 247
Location: Bangkok
Xmas is next week. Rej are you playing Santa and delivering us the gift we are all hoping for ? :D :P

_________________
Faceting + Gemology Teacher at IGT Thailand
Gemology + Travel Writing + Photos -> http://www.justinkprim.com
The views expressed here are the author's opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of his employer.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:44 am 
Offline
Active Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:29 pm
Posts: 96
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Hmm, doesn't seem likely at this point. I will put out a new beta soon as the one out now expires at the end of the year.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:48 am 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:04 pm
Posts: 159
Location: North Carolina
Rej,
Is there anyway when you are in the Manual Optimizer to run the Tilt Performance in the screen beside of the selections? This would help speed the feedback and decision making process. Now you have to apply the one you have chosen, go to the other screen run the optimizer compare to the previous one then, then undo it if you do not like it. Just trying to make it a little easier. I use this Optimizer a lot and love it.

Thanks,

Alex


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:53 am 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:00 am
Posts: 1210
Location: Wylie Texas but in Alaska for a while
I downloaded the latest and played for it a while.
I liked the new features a lot.

I am still having problems getting a CTP started, much like I do in a real stone.

It would be very nice if there were a CTP button or something that would make it easier to get started, and once started it wouyld be nice of the start point for cutting were the CTP.

I am being lazy, it only takes a few clicks and scolls to get the ctp to highlight, and use the jumnp.

I am testing on an oval, and often use mirror of 2, because I am new to this. It would be very nice if when starting a new tier that the row of the new index to be cut would show up, that way I can learn to use the mirror and symetry and get the cuts.

I am currently trying to duplicate a cut to learn the software, It would probably not kake as much of a difference if you were actually designing to fit a stone.

one last comment.

I like the ability to set a ratio at the beginning, but I got it wrong (fat fingers) and did not find a way to edit it later (other than editing the girdle cuts.....

but so far a much better package the improvements do make it easier.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:05 pm 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:00 am
Posts: 1210
Location: Wylie Texas but in Alaska for a while
daaaaaa

I see that the index ids show up when the cut starts cutting material.

one last item.

I originally got gemcad not to design, but to help me figure out what the stone looked like as I was cutting it ..

It crown I just did has a comnplex cuttting sequence, so I was trying differnt cutting sequences to see if I could find a better one.

It would be nice if there were a "cut" replay ability where you could step through the cuts one index at a time.


I am still having problems getting the ctp established.

my latest attempt is to cut a temp tier with a symetry of 4, at a higher angle.

Then I cut the real tier to the ctp, and then delete the temp tier.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:33 pm 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:00 am
Posts: 1210
Location: Wylie Texas but in Alaska for a while
I was testing, trying to get a set of facets at
12-36-60-84

I played a lot with symmetry and mirror going from symmetry and 2 to the max mirror.

I never got a single cut to work, so I went back to mirror of 0 and symmetry of 2, but the number on the index wheel (I think that that is what it is called) and the cut table are off,

I now have 3 problems:

1) index to cut instruction is off

In the image below you can see that the index wheel is at 36, but the cut table shows 12. for the ative G4 facet.

The same happened with the G3 girgle cut, it shows 36 and 84 but I was actually at 12 on the index wheel.

I think that as I took the mirror and symetry wheels back and forth, tat some register is off.

I am not sure how to take a dump of the software to show you the variables,

I will try to duplicate it,


Image


2) control buttons to exit tiers lost

I also lost the buttons on the instruction panel to move tiers, edit them, delete them.... I tried to do several things to get it back, but hve not found out how to do that,

3) I tried to go to file new, it asks if I want to save I say no, and it brings me back to the basic screen, but it did not give me a new blank starting point. so I tried to close it, it asked if I want to save, I say no, and it brings me back to the home c=screen, and does not close,.

I tried file new, when it asked if I wanted to save, it said yes, but brought me back to the home screen.

I finally did a file, save, it brought me to the save file screen, and I saved it. I then given a new fresh screen. Then when I tried to close the screen it worked.









I know that some other packages use a bug logging tool, I am not sure how to do that for this one.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:21 am 
Offline
Established Member

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:20 am
Posts: 17
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Hello!

I was wondering if I could get access to the beta of your app! I have minor experience in debugging autonomous systems so I'd hope to be useful in the beta process...Plus I broke another program with my most recent design and I just want it to work! :cry:

Cheers,
Scott


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:37 am 
Offline
Active Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:29 pm
Posts: 96
Location: Brisbane, Australia
I'll try to address your points inline:

wilsonintexas wrote:
I was testing, trying to get a set of facets at
12-36-60-84

I played a lot with symmetry and mirror going from symmetry and 2 to the max mirror.


If you've got something in mind, or you're replicating an existing cut, here's what I recommend for now. (I have a feature that'll let you just type in the index values you want and it'll figure out the wheel settings, but it's not 100% yet)

For something like your example, you know 2 things:
- Your first index is 12 - so set the index wheel to 12
- You have 4 facets, and they're evenly spaced so that's a symmetry of 4, set the symmetry to 4.

Set your depth, CUT when ready and you'll get a result of "12-36-60-84"

In this case there's no need to mirror. The case where you'd want to mirror is when you want to double each symmetrical facet. In your example if you were to use a symmetry of +/- 2 with the other values set as they were (index 12, sym. 4): instead of 12 being the first cut, you'd see 12-2, and 12+2 so 10 and 14, then repeat this process for the 36 base index and you get 34 - 38, etc. You'd end up with a sequence of 10-14-34-38-58-62-82-86". The mirror value you set in the box determines how far away the cuts are from the base symmetrical index. GemCad does something completely different, which I won't claim to fully understand but I don't think you're used to GC anyway.

New example: If you're trying to replicate an existing design and you see something like the following line
02-14-18-30-34-46-50-62-66-78-82-94

You can count the number of index values = 12, so maybe it's a symmetry of 12 but hang on, the index values are not spaced evenly apart (02-14 is a jump of 12 but 14-18 is only a jump of 4). In this case, consider it might be a mirrored symmetry. So because the facets are doubled, assume symmetry is 12/2 = 6. Then we've worked out that the smaller jump is 4 so a mirroring of +-2. The first index in the list (02) has its mirror equivalent at 94 so we know the first symmetrical index is 0 (or 96). So we set index to 96, symmetry to 6 and mirror to 2 and we replicate the cut.

There is actually another way to set up the software to get the same cut. I tend to use the smaller jump to determine mirroring because it's easier to calculate but if we use the big jump (12) and divide THAT by 2, we get a mirror of 6, spaced around a starting index of 8 (8-6=2 and 8+6=14). Both give you the same result.

Hope that clears things up, until I can get you guys a proper manual and some tutorial videos.

wilsonintexas wrote:

2) control buttons to exit tiers lost

I also lost the buttons on the instruction panel to move tiers, edit them, delete them.... I tried to do several things to get it back, but hve not found out how to do that,


To get the tier menu to show up, you just need to select a tier row from the instructions view. If you try to select the same tier again, it clears the selection and the menu disappears until you make a new selection.

wilsonintexas wrote:
3) I tried to go to file new, it asks if I want to save I say no, and it brings me back to the basic screen, but it did not give me a new blank starting point. so I tried to close it, it asked if I want to save, I say no, and it brings me back to the home c=screen, and does not close,.

I tried file new, when it asked if I wanted to save, it said yes, but brought me back to the home screen.

I finally did a file, save, it brought me to the save file screen, and I saved it. I then given a new fresh screen. Then when I tried to close the screen it worked.


I think this is because of my wording on that popup. It asks if you want to continue with the operation you asked for, not if you want to save.
"Warning: You will lose any unsaved changes, continue? YES/NO". If you don't want to save, press YES to continue with creating a new design.











I know that some other packages use a bug logging tool, I am not sure how to do that for this one.[/quote]


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:30 am 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:00 am
Posts: 1210
Location: Wylie Texas but in Alaska for a while
thank you very much for the tutorial. it will help me a lot. (if I can remember it)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:51 pm 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:45 am
Posts: 173
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I have a question, sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm trying to input the design for Strickland's Omni Oval:

http://www.facetdiagrams.org/database/f ... 2175d.html

The first tier unfortunately does not seem to work with the mirror and symmetry settings due to (what I think) are smaller facets that have been calculated to equal larger ones, bringing the total to the same number but splitting them up non-uniformly. Is there a way to manually enter the indices of the facets as opposed to using the symmetry and mirror settings?

_________________
Trevor Vipond

B9 CORE
Ultratec V5 Digital

http://www.thisishewn.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:01 pm 
Offline
Active Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:29 pm
Posts: 96
Location: Brisbane, Australia
PandaP wrote:
I have a question, sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm trying to input the design for Strickland's Omni Oval:

http://www.facetdiagrams.org/database/f ... 2175d.html

The first tier unfortunately does not seem to work with the mirror and symmetry settings due to (what I think) are smaller facets that have been calculated to equal larger ones, bringing the total to the same number but splitting them up non-uniformly. Is there a way to manually enter the indices of the facets as opposed to using the symmetry and mirror settings?


No, there isn't right now. For this design you'd have to input 3 sets of mirror cuts based around index 0 and with a symmetry of 2, you'd cut +-4, +-12 and +- 17. Now I see a bug with that on my end where it doesn't merge the second cut into the first one even though they're at the same angle and depth settings so I'll need to investigate but if you cut the 3 mirror settings, then edit one and hit cut, it merges them as it should.

So to recap, to recreate the first line of that design you'd cut

@ 42.00deg
Index 0, Sym 2, Mirror 4
Index 0, Sym 2, Mirror 12
Index 0, Sym 2, Mirror 17

I'm working on a tool that will help with this in two ways: First if you're replicating an existing design like this, you'll be able to simply type in all the index values you want and it'll cut those, even if not symmetrical or mirrored.

Second, and as part of this, I'm working on an interface that'll let you choose any indexes you want, specifically for creating OMNI designs. You tick which indexes you want to cut and it'll set it up so you can see your outline if cutting at 90º or to create an OMNI set like in your example.

So yeah, right now it had to be done by hand and in three steps. I'm pretty sure that's how you'd do it in Gemcad as well but I could be wrong.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:35 pm 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:45 am
Posts: 173
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Rej wrote:
No, there isn't right now. For this design you'd have to input 3 sets of mirror cuts based around index 0 and with a symmetry of 2, you'd cut +-4, +-12 and +- 17. Now I see a bug with that on my end where it doesn't merge the second cut into the first one even though they're at the same angle and depth settings so I'll need to investigate but if you cut the 3 mirror settings, then edit one and hit cut, it merges them as it should.

So to recap, to recreate the first line of that design you'd cut

@ 42.00deg
Index 0, Sym 2, Mirror 4
Index 0, Sym 2, Mirror 12
Index 0, Sym 2, Mirror 17

I'm working on a tool that will help with this in two ways: First if you're replicating an existing design like this, you'll be able to simply type in all the index values you want and it'll cut those, even if not symmetrical or mirrored.

Second, and as part of this, I'm working on an interface that'll let you choose any indexes you want, specifically for creating OMNI designs. You tick which indexes you want to cut and it'll set it up so you can see your outline if cutting at 90º or to create an OMNI set like in your example.

So yeah, right now it had to be done by hand and in three steps. I'm pretty sure that's how you'd do it in Gemcad as well but I could be wrong.


Awesome, thank you! I also realized I can import .asc files into gemcad and pump out a .gem for the conversion.

_________________
Trevor Vipond

B9 CORE
Ultratec V5 Digital

http://www.thisishewn.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:23 pm 
Offline
Active Member

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:11 am
Posts: 92
Location: Gold Coast Australia
Wow Rej!!!!! I am so impressed with the work you have done on this app. Only just started learning it last night but it is very intuitive which is great and love all the features it has. Have not come across any issues yet but if i do I will let you know. Once again, Top job mate. =D>
Jamie


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:21 am 
Offline
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:18 am
Posts: 1
Hi Rej,
Right now I’m running GemCad on my laptop PC and I’m interested
in running your beta version of your facet design app if you are willing.

Please send me an email : melfidavid@yahoo.com
Dave


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Gemology Style ported to phpBB3 by Christian Bullock