May 31 through June 2—COLORADO SPRINGS, COLORADO: Annual show; Colorado Springs Mineralogical Society; Norris Penrose Event Center, Fri. 12-7, Sat. 10-5, Sun. 10-4
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: facetron replacement parts
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:39 am 
Offline
Active Member

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:12 pm
Posts: 85
I recently ordered a used facetron as my first machine.
a strict budget ,high shipping cost and customs fees in my country,made me to compromise on a used one, that' missing some parts.
i am missing the 45 Degree Table Dop,and the Dop Chuck Wrench and also some other parts,but these one i am more concern about.
i didn't know when ordered the machine that the dops are not generic 6mm.
any way to find aftermarket parts that fit?
a link to suppliers who sell original parts and deliver worldwide ,also can help.
thanks.

_________________
https://www.facetquality.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: facetron replacement parts
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:57 am 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 527
Dor,

Where are you located?

There is nothing special about the Dop Chuck Wrench. Just get a short screwdriver that fits the slot. Works perfectly.

Dops are available directly from Jeanne at Facetron. Always in stock.

The 45 degree adapter is almost always in stock.

Also make sure you have the excellent Facetron transfer jig with the target dop.

Order direct for jeanne at Facetron.

or here https://www.rockpeddler.com/product-cat ... -machines/

if you can't get it done. maybe I can help. They are supposed to ship me two machine in the next week or so.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: facetron replacement parts
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:11 am 
Offline
Active Member

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:12 pm
Posts: 85
1bwana1 wrote:
Dor,

Where are you located?

There is nothing special about the Dop Chuck Wrench. Just get a short screwdriver that fits the slot. Works perfectly.

Dops are available directly from Jeanne at Facetron. Always in stock.

The 45 degree adapter is almost always in stock.

Also make sure you have the excellent Facetron transfer jig with the target dop.

Order direct for jeanne at Facetron.

or here https://www.rockpeddler.com/product-cat ... -machines/

if you can't get it done. maybe I can help. They are supposed to ship me two machine in the next week or so.


ohhh,that is good to know really :)
machine still not arrived to test,so i was worried regarding that.
screwdriver is not an issue ha ha. that we do have here in israel, :mrgreen:
you guessed right. the Facetron transfer jig is also on my shopping list.
i will check at the link you provided.
appreciate the help,many thanks!

_________________
https://www.facetquality.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: facetron replacement parts
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:35 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran

Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:10 am
Posts: 581
if you have access to a grinder get the shortest largest flat blade screw driver you can find and grind it to fit...a good fit means less wear ...doesn't have to be perfect


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: facetron replacement parts
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:42 pm 
Offline
Active Member

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:12 pm
Posts: 85
stairman wrote:
if you have access to a grinder get the shortest largest flat blade screw driver you can find and grind it to fit...a good fit means less wear ...doesn't have to be perfect


I will try that.
Thanks.

_________________
https://www.facetquality.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: facetron replacement parts
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:49 pm 
Offline
Established Member

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:08 am
Posts: 19
Location: Seattle
Seek a "hollow ground" screwdriver. Its flat-sided blade won't mash the slot.

https://tinyurl.com/ya46jl7o


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: facetron replacement parts
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:42 am 
Offline
Established Member

Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:05 am
Posts: 17
שלום דור
Like you, I also bought a second hand Facetron some 5 years ago,
I ordered from Jeanne all the missing parts. She is absolutely great to communicate with.
The best thing I did was to send her my faceting head, to overhaul and modernizing it, replacing the old design soft stop needle system, with a hard stop dial system. It costs 500$ plus shipping back and forth, but worth every penny. It cuts the cutting time in half, for me. I can really trust the machine, and not check that often my depth of cut.
Good luck with cutting
Hannuka Sameach
Vistar


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: facetron replacement parts
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:47 am 
Offline
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:01 pm
Posts: 1857
Location: Pine City, NY and Dothan, AL
Dor wrote:
i didn't know when ordered the machine that the dops are not generic 6mm.

Hey, give us time - the US has only really been trying to metrify since 1975. :-)
Maybe by 2075.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: facetron replacement parts
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:25 am 
Offline
Active Member

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:12 pm
Posts: 85
pietra wrote:
Seek a "hollow ground" screwdriver. Its flat-sided blade won't mash the slot.

https://tinyurl.com/ya46jl7o


Hi,Thanks.
i think i have one, laying around here, somewhere...

Vistar wrote:
שלום דור
Like you, I also bought a second hand Facetron some 5 years ago,
I ordered from Jeanne all the missing parts. She is absolutely great to communicate with.
The best thing I did was to send her my faceting head, to overhaul and modernizing it, replacing the old design soft stop needle system, with a hard stop dial system. It costs 500$ plus shipping back and forth, but worth every penny. It cuts the cutting time in half, for me. I can really trust the machine, and not check that often my depth of cut.
Good luck with cutting
Hannuka Sameach
Vistar


hanuka sameach :mrgreen:
my machine already have the stop dial indicator.
post 2003 model i assume.
soft&hard stop.
i contacted jarvi. they are not make any deliveries before new year,so it will have to wait a bit longer.
i may be able to make an adjustment to a generic table adapter,
by grinding its dop connector for the lock to fit,

AlBalmer wrote:
Dor wrote:
i didn't know when ordered the machine that the dops are not generic 6mm.

Hey, give us time - the US has only really been trying to metrify since 1975. :-)
Maybe by 2075.


:lol:

_________________
https://www.facetquality.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: facetron replacement parts
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:17 am 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 527
Do you have any dops at all?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: facetron replacement parts
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:08 pm 
Offline
Active Member

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:12 pm
Posts: 85
1bwana1 wrote:
Do you have any dops at all?


machine comes with the complete set of 15+27 dops.

_________________
https://www.facetquality.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: facetron replacement parts
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:13 am 
Offline
Active Member

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:12 pm
Posts: 85
just a bit of grinding and it fits.
Image

_________________
https://www.facetquality.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: facetron replacement parts
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:07 am 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 527
That should work! How are you doing with all the other bits?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: facetron replacement parts
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:38 pm 
Offline
Active Member

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:12 pm
Posts: 85
1bwana1 wrote:
That should work! How are you doing with all the other bits?


hmmmm
all fine with the machine.
it came perfect.
i have all the equipment, and everything good except 6 hours of straight nightmare with the wax. :(
i am starting to think that something is wrong with it and its not me.
it just refuse to hold!
i bought this-https://www.ebay.com/itm/rle-RED-DOP-WAX-for-dopping-stones-1-4-lb-LAPIDARY-MADE-IN-USA-SUPERIOR/142731479193?hash=item213b758899:g:tW0AAOSwW3VatF3t:rk:2:pf:0
the first stick i tried 3h to make contact with the stone,without success. heating the rough,putting hot wax on the dop,rounding it on a surface to remove air bubbles,and than heating again and try to make contact-and no. and than again and again, 3h.
got frustrated,tried the second 1\4lb wax stick and made contact at first try.
than i started,lined up the dop with the machine at 90 degree angle,started the gridle ,after about 10-15 facets,the wax break.
started again.and it happen again. and than again. 17ct of amethyst travels across the room at least 3 times,till i just couldn't find it,
so is started again,this time with an orange topaz,almost finish the gridle,but no. i am still searching it in the room.

_________________
https://www.facetquality.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: facetron replacement parts
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:22 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 527
The joys of learning.

I rarely use wax anymore. I use super glue. Easy give it a try.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Gemology Style ported to phpBB3 by Christian Bullock