Dec.20 to 22:SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA: Wholesale and retail show; Gem Faire Inc.; Scottish Rite Center; Fri. 12-6, Sat. 10-6, Sun. 10-5;
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: IS this a good cut or not?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:04 pm 
Offline
Established Member

Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:50 am
Posts: 11
From your opionion is this a good cut? What problems, if any, do you see int it?


Attachments:
IMG_20191015_101336.jpg
IMG_20191015_101336.jpg [ 306.53 KiB | Viewed 594 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: IS this a good cut or not?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:40 am 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:23 am
Posts: 876
Location: GemClub
picture is not so great but seems to be typical standard emerald square cut

_________________
Farshid Roshanravan
http://diamondclub.us
Blog: http://roshanravan.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: IS this a good cut or not?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:28 pm 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:12 pm
Posts: 122
rossiandr wrote:
From your opionion is this a good cut? What problems, if any, do you see int it?


hard to judge from the picture,but from what I see, either the right and left sides of the stone wasn't cut at the same angle and depth match to each other, that or either, stone is tilted in the setting for some reason, to hide flaws maybe or to enhance the color,
maybe the angle of the photo ,or the way the ring sit on the holder, not sure really.

_________________
https://www.facetquality.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: IS this a good cut or not?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:47 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:31 pm
Posts: 3451
Location: North Carolina
It does look kind of nonangulated in some way or other.

_________________
https://www.etsy.com/shop/angryturtle


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: IS this a good cut or not?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:38 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 658
I am beginning to think we need a new category of Gemologist/Geologist skills called PhotoGemology. Where one is trained to do Identification, Quality Grading, Provenance, and Value Determinations using only poor images shared on the internet. There seems to be a big demand for this type of work, so career prospects look good.

I feel totally inadequate for the job based on my current training. :shock:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: IS this a good cut or not?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:35 pm 
Offline
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:30 am
Posts: 7
1bwana1 wrote:
I am beginning to think we need a new category of Gemologist/Geologist skills called PhotoGemology. Where one is trained to do Identification, Quality Grading, Provenance, and Value Determinations using only poor images shared on the internet. There seems to be a big demand for this type of work, so career prospects look good.


I would be instantly skeptical of anyone claiming this expertise :P


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: IS this a good cut or not?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:01 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:31 pm
Posts: 3451
Location: North Carolina
I don't think giving opinions on a stone's cut from a photo is quite the same as grading color, clarity, treatment status, etc, though obviously there are limitations.

_________________
https://www.etsy.com/shop/angryturtle


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: IS this a good cut or not?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:41 pm 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm
Posts: 167
Location: San Marcos, CA
This post feels like one of those let's start an argument post and see what happens. It's a crappy photo to start with, it's a green stone in a silver mounting and looks like some colorless accent stones. So my Photoligist tells me it must be a green nanosital with cz in stainless. The center Stone is square like, the setter broke the corners off with to much pressure and pixelated the surface with to much steam and buffing. A Photoligist CV includes alot of experience in assumption, educated guess work and years of browsing.Is this a good cut? sure nothing wrong with an emerald step cut, is this good cutting probably but can,t really tell that from a photo.

_________________
The Gem Garden
San Marcos, CA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: IS this a good cut or not?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:39 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:22 pm
Posts: 19945
Location: San Francisco
Looks like a shallow stone with a bit of a window to my eye.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: IS this a good cut or not?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:06 pm 
Offline
Established Member

Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:50 am
Posts: 11
Dor wrote:
rossiandr wrote:
From your opionion is this a good cut? What problems, if any, do you see int it?


hard to judge from the picture,but from what I see, either the right and left sides of the stone wasn't cut at the same angle and depth match to each other, that or either, stone is tilted in the setting for some reason, to hide flaws maybe or to enhance the color,
maybe the angle of the photo ,or the way the ring sit on the holder, not sure really.


I don't think I understand when you say the right and left doesn't have same angle... I have tilted personally the stone and it seems symmetric to me.

I have posted another photo where the "problem" with the cut seems more apparent to me... Let me know...


Attachments:
IMG_20191030_094807_cut.jpg
IMG_20191030_094807_cut.jpg [ 3.82 MiB | Viewed 252 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: IS this a good cut or not?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:08 pm 
Offline
Established Member

Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:50 am
Posts: 11
Stephen Challener wrote:
It does look kind of nonangulated in some way or other.


Could you elaborate on "nonangulated"? Thank you


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: IS this a good cut or not?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:11 pm 
Offline
Established Member

Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:50 am
Posts: 11
glhays wrote:
This post feels like one of those let's start an argument post and see what happens. It's a crappy photo to start with, it's a green stone in a silver mounting and looks like some colorless accent stones. So my Photoligist tells me it must be a green nanosital with cz in stainless. The center Stone is square like, the setter broke the corners off with to much pressure and pixelated the surface with to much steam and buffing. A Photoligist CV includes alot of experience in assumption, educated guess work and years of browsing.Is this a good cut? sure nothing wrong with an emerald step cut, is this good cutting probably but can,t really tell that from a photo.


I have added another photo, maybe it's more clear the cut in this new photo.

I have also a video but I don't know if i can upload it.

Excuse me but I don't really understand if in your opinion this can be a good cut or not?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: IS this a good cut or not?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:20 pm 
Offline
Established Member

Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:50 am
Posts: 11
Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
Looks like a shallow stone with a bit of a window to my eye.


Yes, know that I watch it better I think it has quite a big window in the center.
It should something like be 9x8x5mm , but from the center of the stone not so much light returns to me...

However here is a video, maybe it's more clear: [youtube]https://youtu.be/9kt1q97S9tg[/youtube]


Attachments:
IMG_20191109_110342_nat_hand.jpg
IMG_20191109_110342_nat_hand.jpg [ 4.07 MiB | Viewed 252 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: IS this a good cut or not?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:26 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:31 pm
Posts: 3451
Location: North Carolina
rossiandr wrote:
Stephen Challener wrote:
It does look kind of nonangulated in some way or other.


Could you elaborate on "nonangulated"? Thank you

It's intentionally vague/jokey language because specifics can't be judged from a single low-res picture, but in that context the top and bottom facets of the girdle looked to not be parallel and the corners don't look to be cut to the same depth. These become very subtle features when viewed at low resolution, and may be deceptive effects of lighting or compression.
While we certainly can't identify or value your stone as you've requested in your other thread, this is one thing you can learn the basics of fairly easy online and judge for yourself. For an emerald cut you want things to be parallel and symmetrical, and for there to be sufficient depth to avoid windowing. You can see how parallel the girdle facets are with a pair of calipers. If that's what you're hoping to learn, there are lots of resources about cut quality here and across the web, and we can't really give you more useful general information than that. But somehow I feel like you're fishing for something else here.

_________________
https://www.etsy.com/shop/angryturtle


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: IS this a good cut or not?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:40 pm 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm
Posts: 167
Location: San Marcos, CA
rossiandr wrote:
I have added another photo, maybe it's more clear the cut in this new photo.

I have also a video but I don't know if i can upload it.

Excuse me but I don't really understand if in your opinion this can be a good cut or not?


Yes as Stephen said it was a joking comment not meant to be personal.
Let me say that when asked if this is a good cut I interpret that in the style of cut (Emerald cut, Diamond cut, etc.), is it good cutting (the faceting of the gemstone).
The cutting, good or bad is just an opinion based on a photo, not meaning that those opinions based on experience and or education are not to be accepted.

What I see in the photo is, it appears that the crown is missing one more tier (step) at the table. Which would have made the table slightly smaller that aligns the pavillion steps to crown steps(tiers).
But all these type considerations are in the cutters hands when the stone is being evaluated for cutting and mostly based on the gem rough like inclusions which I do see in the stone, I believe.
My guess would be the table has been recut and polished at some point to remove wear and tear, but that's a guess, assumption or was just cut that way because the original cut typically is to get the largest stone possible out the original gem or rough. Example I have piece of rough I can cut to a 16mm square but it's going to render a gemstone that doesn't perform well, or I can cut it to 14mm and have a stone that does and in most cases the former is going to be the commercial cutters choice. Ohhhh... I went down this rabbit hole didn't I? Getting out now while I can. [-X

As with Stephan what are we fishing for? You ask "CAN BE A GOOD CUT"???

_________________
The Gem Garden
San Marcos, CA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Gemology Style ported to phpBB3 by Christian Bullock