Time to catch up on reading, lapidary projects and binge watching TV. Stay home. Stay well.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: Another "new gem design app" thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:35 am 
Valued Contributor

Huh, guess this means my days of agonising over my andalusite hoard may be numbered, that's a very good feature already with this implementation.
Have you figured out how to have the whole axis-measuring system rotate to whatever orientation you want yet?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:12 am 

Rej, your product is pretty impressive as is, but I'm really diggin' all your upgrades. Any update on the app version of it for Android/Apple? Also, can it work with a Chromebook?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:59 pm 
Valued Contributor

Can someone tell me how I get the update? Do
I just have to log in my code and download it again? If so I am guessing it keeps all the current files I have?
Thanks for your help in advance!
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:06 am 
Valued Contributor

Alex Edwards wrote:
Can someone tell me how I get the update? Do
I just have to log in my code and download it again? If so I am guessing it keeps all the current files I have?
Thanks for your help in advance!
Alex

Alex, I only found that to upgrade was to download and reinstall over top of the previous. With that it over wrote the previous folders, so backup the design folders before the reinstall.
Greg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:59 pm 
Valued Contributor

I was afraid of that, Thanks Greg!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:03 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hello, sorry for the late reply. The notification for topic reply went into my spam.

To update to v1.1 you just need to download and run the installer as if it was the first install. It shouldn't delete your GCS documents folder when installing on top of the old version. In fact, the uninstaller doesn't even remove documents. It might change the directory back to the default "My Documents" folder in the installer, but not delete any files apart from the program itself.

Can anyone else confirm this happening? I've run the installer hundreds of time over here when testing and never had this happen...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:58 pm 
Valued Contributor

I just updated the program and everything worked fine. I old files are still there.

Thanks Rej!!!

Alex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:49 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Im getting an error message.
It´s in swedish but it should translate to "filesystem that can't be connected"
Im on a mac with 10.11.6 (15G22010)
Did a restart but same message

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:54 am 
Established Member

Rej, after reading your post on Feb 6th, I downloaded version 1.1... No issues with losing files.

Thank you very much for working so hard on the update. Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:46 am 
Valued Contributor

Rej and all,
The version I updated was an original beta version not v1.0 to v1.1. Very sorry for the confusion.
Greg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:15 pm 
Established Member

Two things.

Awesome

and

Awesome!!

Yes I am aware of color rendition on digital mediums and it is a big pain in the butt. I work in this field and don't envy your position to recreate realistic color on a complex medium like a mineral.

Pleochroims wise, wow that is great!! And yes not sure how you are going to implement the user feedback on how to set it up. All I can think of is an X Y Z axis gizmo that sits in the middle of the gem which can be rotated independently from the gem itself in order to set the different colors per axis. The part am not sure how I would handle the problem is whether to use the true o-ray, e-ray,w-ray, colors before they get mixed together or just allow 3 final colors that get mapped to the user defined axis.... hmm anyway, either way, great tool! happy purchased and even happier when this feature is out. Can I ask when is that going to get released?

Rej wrote:
TheL wrote:
Hello,
Just yesterday I found out about your new app Rej. Pretty nice App overall I must say, may actually become THE next GemCutting tool for the industry.

I did have a question/observation for you if you are still active in this forum. The rendering calculations done by your program, specially in regard to color don't seem right to me. It does not seem to accumulate color the way I expect to see in real life. For example the color returned in areas where the light ray has bounce several times inside the stone seems to become a more saturated a lot quicker than its counterpart in gemRay and real life. Perhaps I should take some screenshots and photos to visually present what I am seeing...

Hi. Sorry for the late reply, I tend to spread myself a bit thin over various social platforms...

For color, yes I know what you mean. It's been tricky balancing what the math says it should do and what looks right. What you see currently is a compromise I came up with. Normally, light is meant to follow the inverse square law, which means it should get dark very quick as a function of distance bouncing around the gem. But computer monitors compensate for the fact that our eyes are better at picking out contrast in dark things using gamma curves. The end result is a whole bunch of modeling, counter-modeling and corrections. I'm hoping to improve this in the future...

TheL wrote:
Great program anyway. Will buy it for sure. Oh are you ever planning to add pleochroism into your raytracer? diamCalc said they were planning to add it once, but recently I asked about it and said they dropped that idea :(
cheers

Definitely, it's mostly done, I just need to wrap it up in a nice user interface. Here are two examples. The first is dichroic, closed-C tourmaline. So green in two directions, but super dark green in the C direction

The next is a ridiculous trichroic test using Red / Green / Blue for the respective axis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:45 pm 
Valued Contributor

TheL wrote:
[...] All I can think of is an X Y Z axis gizmo that sits in the middle of the gem which can be rotated independently from the gem itself in order to set the different colors per axis. [...]

Yes, I think something like that will be the solution for the advanced case. But I'll offer X-Y-Z aligned options as simpler models for the case where the cutter is going to align the mineral axis with the design anyway (eg closed-C)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:37 pm 
Established Member

What is the ETA on that beautiful feature?
my eyeballs are already salivating...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22