A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: need a gem cutter
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:38 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello ladies and gentlemen
I hope you are keeping safe and well.
As a company representative, I am looking for a gem cutter. The parcel is 2 kg rough emerald, not very high gem quality. If anybody interested please contact me ASAP.
Required information:
• Method and Equipment
• Price (per gram or peace )
• Duration required
• Tax and insurance information related to your geographic situation (the rough stones are in Brazil right now)
• Percentage of waste
• Contract and payment method

best regards
Niloofar Mousavipak

Post subject: Re: need a gem cutter
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:39 am 
Gold Member

Not very good gem quality as description of goods to be cut is not much information for a cutter to go by to provide legit cutting charges. What are your expectations from 2kg of ?, Where are you willing to ship it? I maybe willing to quote you some machine cutting fees as well as hand cutting, but not blindly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:10 pm 
Gold Member

As someone who has processed the cutting of millions of carats of gemstones of various types, and in numerous countries over the last almost 50 years, my best advise is:

It is impossible to properly answer your question based on the information provided. Anyone who answers your questions as asked should not be trusted. Large Emerald parcels represent one of the most difficult challenges in cutting and processing. The money is made or lost in the buying, sorting, preforming and treating. The actual faceting is the easiest part.

Typically almost 100% of Brazilian Emerald must be clarity treated to make the finished stones acceptable in the market. Most commonly it is treated with a polymer, under heat, with high vacuum and pressure. So you need a cutting house with a properly clarity enhancing lab to process your material.

Out of a two Kilo parcel of Emerald there will be a very small percentage of stones of much higher than average value that make or break the parcel financially. If you send the entire lot, many of these stones will disappear and be substituted for lower value stones. To avoid this, you must be able to sort these important stones out in advance, preform them, and monitor them during the cutting and treating process.

I can tell you that the most skilled in this type of material are located in Jaipur India. But as you can imagine ethics can be a challenge in that environment. I don't know how much you have invested, but I would suggest you take a trip there, meet some people, and divide the parcel into smaller lots to try different cutting houses out. Especially if this is going to be a recurring business.

Above is the best advise I can give to someone asking the question you posed.

These are skills learned over a period of time handling large quantities of the material. The "tuition" (cost of mistakes) in this school of learning can be very high indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:20 pm 
Gold Member

I think I have to disagree a little on some of your advise here, not in total but in part.

I am not going to give it credence by hen picking it, just because it really isn't worth the argument. Or to knock your worldly vast experience. Which I give the utmost respect.

The poster is a 1 post newcomer that basically says give me quotes, contact me asap. But how would someone based on this post.

A high-grader lives in almost all parts of our world, and most likely this 2kgs may have already been and no one knows that.

But to process a unknown product for cutting doesn't need to be done by a cutting house first and foremost.

The poster did inquire of insurance, so they are implying some sort of assurance that they are seeking in their decision.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:17 pm 

glhays wrote:
Not very good gem quality as description of goods to be cut is not much information for a cutter to go by to provide legit cutting charges. What are your expectations from 2kg of ?, Where are you willing to ship it? I maybe willing to quote you some machine cutting fees as well as hand cutting, but not blindly.

thanks for your advices ,infact I am gemologist and I need to find a cutter or cut factory but I don't have any idea about it

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:23 pm 

I really thanks you for your help, it gave me the clue... do you know any place in Europe, because of the pandemic(covid-19) I prefer to find a place in Europe (instead of Idar-Oberstein ) , in your opinion, could find a cutter or cutting factory in a reasonable price?

Post subject: any idea about finding a cutter or cutting factory in France
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:35 pm 

Hello
I am a gemologist and also a consulter of a company, I am looking for a gem cutter or cutting factory( for rough emerald from Brazil) in France at a reasonable price.. is there anybody for help?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Dr.Nil wrote:
I really thanks you for your help, it gave me the clue... do you know any place in Europe, because of the pandemic(covid-19) I prefer to find a place in Europe (instead of Idar-Oberstein ) , in your opinion, could find a cutter or cutting factory in a reasonable price?

What's wrong with Idar-Oberstein?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:56 pm 
Gold Member

Dr.Nil wrote:
glhays wrote:

thanks for your advices ,infact I am gemologist and I need to find a cutter or cut factory but I don't have any idea about it

Based on your recent posts and in the need of reasonable cutting fee, you really do not know what is reasonable. Like 1bwana stated, India and other countries like China, Thailand are basically the cutting factories of the world and going to provide you the best in overall cutting fees, but and that is a big but like stated unless your parcel of 2kg is sorted for cutting prior to it reaching any factory for cutting your going into it blind so.
I believe you really need to have trustworthy intermediate to help you sort your parcel into several categories for cutting. None of us here know what your parcel is consisting of. We have processed several kilos of Columbian Emerald for custom cutting as well as further melee cutting and yes a lot in need of stabilizing. I am not sure if the large parcels of Brazilian emerald differs that much from Columbian, I would imagine alot will depend on the grade each parcel is being sold as like most larger parcels of gem rough. No color considerations being given.
In all the years we have been in jewelry manufacturing, which involves needing large quanties of accent stones, one thing about cutting factories is the better the price they give for cutting a given weight will usually mean a smaller return in yield. Remembering they are cutting factories with large quantities of cut material around, knowing what you sent them is giving yourself some assurances of what you should get back.
Have you looked for any experienced trustworthy gem cutters near you, that can help sort the parcel into categories? Sending say 1000 carats of melee rough in for cutting, a good factory can inspect the 1000cts., and give you a quote and estimated return.
Oh and then Covid, how it effects everything and everyone.
What other sources have you looked for a factor, gem cutter?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:51 pm 
Gold Member

Unfortunately I don't believe that you will find the kind of cutting factory you are looking for in France, Germany, or anywhere else in Europe. The companies that I personally know even in Idar will ship this type of work to India, Thailand, China, or Sri Lanka.

There are a couple of cutting houses in Switzerland that are set up to cut volumes of small stones. However they are expensive, and specialize in high quality Emerald, Ruby, Sapphires for the watch industry cut to extremely high precision requirements.

Israel may have a couple of shops left specializing in African and South American Emeralds. They are highly capable and have the technology and staff to properly handle your rough. That may be the closest you are going to find to France. It should be fairly easy to work through these firm as I believe there are only 4 or 5 left operating at this time.

You might start with contacting Menahem Sevdermish or his Son Kobi at Advanced Quality in Israel. Although they will likely not be the right shop for what you need, they might be willing to refer you to someone who is. Very nice people to work with. At one time they managed the cutting of hundreds of thousands of carats of sapphire for a previous project I was involved in.

https://aqgems.com/

Sorry I could not help more with your needs.