SEATTLE MINERAL SHOW; MAY, Sat 22nd - Sun 23rd; 2021
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue May 18, 2021 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Design Suggestions for a Mother/Daughters Set
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:25 am 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:15 am
Posts: 305
Location: Cary, NC
To all,

Looking for some input/design suggestions. I have a very good friend who's moving to another company (I've retired but she was one heck of a boss). She has two daughters (early teens), and I was thinking of two "Princess" cuts and then something for the "Queen" (remember the old joke, "You may be the Princess, but I'm the Queen"). I was thinking of nice Amethyst for all, two Princess cuts for the girls and I think I remember seeing a square rectangular brilliant cut pavilion design somewhere.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Truly appreciate it :)

_________________
Bob Hodges

Faceter: When turned into a zombie, they stumble around crying "roooouuuuggghhhh"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Design Suggestions for a Mother/Daughters Set
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:28 am 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 1201
Bob,

See if the squaretuguese cut on facetdiagrams.org will work for you.

If not, I can do a custom design for you.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Design Suggestions for a Mother/Daughters Set
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:38 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm
Posts: 745
Location: San Marcos, CA
Does there need to be any design aspects similar between the shapes? Outside of the squarish shape. There are few Long designs that produce some very nice brilliant Royal looking stones, but then again your amethyst will dictate how Royal a cut will produce. How about L/W restrictions?

_________________
The Gem Garden
San Marcos, CA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Design Suggestions for a Mother/Daughters Set
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:06 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Ɯbergoddess
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:13 pm
Posts: 5052
Location: Australia
Bob, I was going to suggest Marco's designs as well.
There's 3 he has designed for quartz..
https://www.gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=Voltolini_-_Sparkly_dome
https://www.gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=Voltolini_-_Squartuguese2
https://www.gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=Voltolini_-_Squilliant

If you click on the 'discussion' tab top left. it will open a page that has a couple of images of cut stones.
The Sphalerite cut by Egor in the Sparkly Dome is wicked!

eta.. not a square but Beavest by Arya looks gorgeous in Ammy.
Image

_________________
Keep em comin!!!

Most of the fire on the wall has been put out :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Design Suggestions for a Mother/Daughters Set
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:05 pm 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 1201
Robert,

I had a few moments so I made you three different versions of a square brilliant in Amethyst. Note that these are all princess corners.

They all have the same classic brilliant bottom, but different crowns.
Number 1 has a fancy scissors cut top,
Number 2 has a classic step cut top,
number 3 has a classic scissors cut top .

If you want to try any or all of them let me know and I will get the cutting diagrams and Gem Cut Studio Files.

Steve


Attachments:
SquareBrilliantForRobert3.png
SquareBrilliantForRobert3.png [ 139.61 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]
SquareBrilliantForRobert2.png
SquareBrilliantForRobert2.png [ 134.49 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]
SquareBrilliantForRobert1.png
SquareBrilliantForRobert1.png [ 132.03 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Design Suggestions for a Mother/Daughters Set
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:25 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm
Posts: 745
Location: San Marcos, CA
All very beautiful designs. Wish I had some Ame in those color ranges. I agree Mehoose, the Beavest is very nice. Steve, the middle design I tend to favor more overall. I know it's just my 2 cents of judgement.

_________________
The Gem Garden
San Marcos, CA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Design Suggestions for a Mother/Daughters Set
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:30 am 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 1201
Let me know if you need a piece. I have a few kilos of the original Rwanda material.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Design Suggestions for a Mother/Daughters Set
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:13 am 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm
Posts: 745
Location: San Marcos, CA
Sure pick me a few pieces and USPS it to me when convenient, throw that center design in the box and an invoice. Much appreciated. I have plenty of Brazilian material none with that saturation. More like or slightly lighter than the Arya Beavest image.

_________________
The Gem Garden
San Marcos, CA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Design Suggestions for a Mother/Daughters Set
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:05 am 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 1201
glhays wrote:
Sure pick me a few pieces and USPS it to me when convenient, throw that center design in the box and an invoice. Much appreciated. I have plenty of Brazilian material none with that saturation. More like or slightly lighter than the Arya Beavest image.


Happy to do it Greg.

What size finished stones are you targeting?

I can approach color two ways. I can send you nice rich colors that may be slightly over dark so you can low temperature heat treat to any color you want. Or I can select a nice medium dark tone for you.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Design Suggestions for a Mother/Daughters Set
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:53 am 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:15 am
Posts: 305
Location: Cary, NC
Steve,

That middle design looks perfect. I'm thinking either three stones cut to that (just having the daughters smaller than the Mom), or cutting that for her and then doing something like the "Gram Princess" for the daughters and using your middle design for the "Queen". I'd love to get a copy of that design and my thanks to you and all.

For the "Squartegese" (SIC), I love that design but I couldn't find a version of that with angles for quartz and I'm not yet up to doing tangent ratios to get it to work in quartz.

Thank you all for the help, and I'll post some pics of the finished stones in the "off the dop" thread

_________________
Bob Hodges

Faceter: When turned into a zombie, they stumble around crying "roooouuuuggghhhh"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Design Suggestions for a Mother/Daughters Set
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:57 pm 
Offline
Gemology Online Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm
Posts: 745
Location: San Marcos, CA
1bwana1 wrote:
glhays wrote:
Sure pick me a few pieces and USPS it to me when convenient, throw that center design in the box and an invoice. Much appreciated. I have plenty of Brazilian material none with that saturation. More like or slightly lighter than the Arya Beavest image.


Happy to do it Greg.

What size finished stones are you targeting?

I can approach color two ways. I can send you nice rich colors that may be slightly over dark so you can low temperature heat treat to any color you want. Or I can select a nice medium dark tone for you.

12x10mm 4-5ct Oval, and couple of 8-10mm 2-3ct. Your choice is fine on the color grade. Maybe darker on the oval, and a medium on the smaller. But really, I am sure your judgement is fine.

_________________
The Gem Garden
San Marcos, CA


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Design Suggestions for a Mother/Daughters Set
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:25 pm 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 1201
Bob Hodges wrote:
Steve,

That middle design looks perfect. I'm thinking either three stones cut to that (just having the daughters smaller than the Mom), or cutting that for her and then doing something like the "Gram Princess" for the daughters and using your middle design for the "Queen". I'd love to get a copy of that design and my thanks to you and all.

For the "Squartegese" (SIC), I love that design but I couldn't find a version of that with angles for quartz and I'm not yet up to doing tangent ratios to get it to work in quartz.

Thank you all for the help, and I'll post some pics of the finished stones in the "off the dop" thread


Bob,

I will send you the middle design, and do a quartz optimization on the Squartegues and include that as well.

your past kindness will never forgotten around here. Do you have the rough you need?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Design Suggestions for a Mother/Daughters Set
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:26 pm 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 1201
glhays wrote:
1bwana1 wrote:
glhays wrote:
Sure pick me a few pieces and USPS it to me when convenient, throw that center design in the box and an invoice. Much appreciated. I have plenty of Brazilian material none with that saturation. More like or slightly lighter than the Arya Beavest image.


Happy to do it Greg.

What size finished stones are you targeting?

I can approach color two ways. I can send you nice rich colors that may be slightly over dark so you can low temperature heat treat to any color you want. Or I can select a nice medium dark tone for you.

12x10mm 4-5ct Oval, and couple of 8-10mm 2-3ct. Your choice is fine on the color grade. Maybe darker on the oval, and a medium on the smaller. But really, I am sure your judgement is fine.


Consider it done. I will get it out over the weekend!

Steve


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Design Suggestions for a Mother/Daughters Set
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:25 pm 
Offline
Gold Member

Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 2:18 am
Posts: 1201
Bob,

I emailed both Diagrams to you using the email address we used before. If that is not still valid PM me your new email.

Steve


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Design Suggestions for a Mother/Daughters Set
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:48 pm 
Offline
Valued Contributor

Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:15 am
Posts: 305
Location: Cary, NC
Steve,

Just received it in my inbox and I'm all set (I still have the rough you were kind enough to send before). Going to sacrifice a few lower quality pieces to do practice/test cutting, and then I'll go for the good stuff you send (and boy, is it good) :)

_________________
Bob Hodges

Faceter: When turned into a zombie, they stumble around crying "roooouuuuggghhhh"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Gemology Style ported to phpBB3 by Christian Bullock