January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matrix Lap
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:33 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

Quote:
I'm now able to get a decent finish on the face of the facet, but it appears the ends of the facets roll off to the meets, more rounding than I like. What am I doing wrong? I spent 3 hours trying to polish 8 large facets. I get a flatter finish almost intantly on my 100k batt. Help me please!

Much Lower pressure, and probably higher speed, limited by heating. Use the lap almost dry, but watch the stone temperature. Try wiping it nearly dry with extender fluid, then proceed to polish without adding anything to the lap. If polishing is listless, add diamond.

You should not have to use things like Norbide on these laps. Maybe a piece of corundum for practice, but they should not need an elaborate or tedious breakin.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:54 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

Michael O'Neill wrote:
I could use some help with this lap. I normally use a batt with 100k polycrystalline diamond as my go to polish lap. I don't have any experience with ceramic laps or laps where the diamond doesn't embed. I've heard that less diamond is better than more diamond on ceramic. Working on a CZ, I decided to pull out the Matrix for its first use. Put a little diamond on with 100k diastick, and went to polish from a 3k on batt finish. Scratching.....but I recognize this type of scratching as balling up of polish compound. Spread a little extender fluid on and run a norbide stick over it for 30 seconds, did the same in reverse. Less scratching....added more diamond and ran the norbide over it for a longer period. Wiped off excess material. I'm now able to get a decent finish on the face of the facet, but it appears the ends of the facets roll off to the meets, more rounding than I like. What am I doing wrong? I spent 3 hours trying to polish 8 large facets. I get a flatter finish almost instantly on my 100k batt. Help me please!

Matrix lap is different than ceramic lap. Matrix is porous. Ceramic is not. Matrix is slightly forgiving. Ceramic is not.
What kind of faceting machine do you use? Why do you use a norbide stick? How much pressure do you use?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:06 pm 

Thanks for the help guys. I use an Ultra-tec manufactured in 2006. I usually use a norbide stick if the lap sounds rough or to break up polishing compounds that ball up. I use minimal pressure typically, but polish on all my other laps at slow speeds. 15-30 RPM.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:16 pm 

Quote:
I use minimal pressure typically, but polish on all my other laps at slow speeds. 15-30 RPM.

Oh dear. Adamas prefers slower speeds than I, but I think ten times those speeds is not unreasonable, 150-300 RPM.

Fast and light.
I fear the diamond is dying of boredom. It would be like making my wife drive a Smart Car...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:14 pm 

Michael O'Neill wrote:
Thanks for the help guys. I use an Ultra-tec manufactured in 2006. I usually use a norbide stick if the lap sounds rough or to break up polishing compounds that ball up. I use minimal pressure typically, but polish on all my other laps at slow speeds. 15-30 RPM.

You have a good faceting machine.
I never have used norbide sticks. I see too many opportunities for contamination and lap damage.
The lap speed you use is similar to what I use, but I use diamond mixed with purified water.
The faceting head of the Ultra-tec is light, so you could add a little more pressure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:36 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

gronkus wrote:
Quote:
I generally apply 8 radial swipes with the 3k stik: 4 are full-radius (from hub to edge), 4 are about halfway to the edge (to get more diamond on the larger circumference out there).

Eric,
What do you do then? Work it in with a norbide or piece of corundum or do you just spread it around and begin cutting?

I do as Gearloose suggests: first, wipe it with some WD40 (or your preferred oil), then put on the diamond as I described, then push it in with some synth sapphire. I may or may not do one last wipe with a WD-40 cloth, depending on how much excess diamond I see.

Patuxent Lapidary Guild

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:38 pm 
Gold Member

gronkus wrote:
Quote:
I generally apply 8 radial swipes with the 3k stik: 4 are full-radius (from hub to edge), 4 are about halfway to the edge (to get more diamond on the larger circumference out there).

Eric,
What do you do then? Work it in with a norbide or piece of corundum or do you just spread it around and begin cutting?

It spreads itself around. Just start using it, assuming you haven't put on too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:14 am 
Valued Contributor

So I've got two of these now...the first I charged with a CeO BATT Stick after being frustrated with an amethyst--my Creamway was too slow, the Skyway was scratching. The Matrix with CeO? Lightning fast and a glassy smooth polish. Wow. Did a big smoky quartz on it as well, same results. Love it. This will now be my go-to quartz polishing lap.

So I got another, and decided to charge it with 100K diamond. I was polishing a big sapphire and I was amazed at how fast it was polishing. Heck, with a little pressure I could cut, although that was rounding the trailing edge of the facets. Hmmm. Look around--dang! I accidentally charged it with 8K diamond. The finish actually looks better than a 14K diamond finish. But I'm going to wash it and charge it with 100K.

Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:27 pm 

Jeff,
I suggest you try the Zirconium oxide battstik on the Matrix. The polish should be faster and of better quality than Cerium oxide for Quartzes. The Skyway scratching is likely a contamination problem. A faceter called me two days ago with the same problem. I instructed him how to clear the lap surface and the scratching went away.
Glad to hear the Matrix lap works well for you.
I have surprised myself by it.
I knew it would polish well when I conceived it, but the responses have exceeded my expectations.

Be sure to thoroughly scrub the Matrix surface with a bar of soap and a fresh sponge to remove the 8K diamond.
That grit is too coarse for that lap.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:43 pm 
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the tip, Thomas. I'll try the Zirconium Oxide BATT Stick on the Matrix for the next quartz. On the Matrix, yes, the 8K was all wrong...I washed it out and I'm polishing a synthetic ruby on it right now--a few sweeps with 100K and the facets are perfect and flat. I prepolished on 8K on copper. This is big stone, so big facets yet super fast and super flat polish.

The Skyway is cleaned with a rubber eraser, correct? I figure its got something stuck in it.

Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:38 pm 

The Wrong Grit event is more common than many admit. (Remember I resurface laps here, all the time, and some of the mistakes are beauts.)

I am glad the 8K depleted out.

Years ago, someone put 3K on a BATT™ by mistake and the rest is history...but that only applies to the chargeable metals.
I can still remember early on that when someone was using "my" polishing lap for prepolish, being scandalized, and saying, "That's like hitching a thoroughbred to a plough."
By the time people started cutting with them, I just shut up.

But the composite laps would suffer too much wear and erosion if used with large grits.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:39 am 
Valued Contributor

I think the 8K never could get into the pores. I was charging constantly and I was wondering why...but now I know. :roll:

I have found that the Matrix is a lap that you want to only use light pressure with. If you press too hard it will round facet edges, especially if you have any excess diamond on the lap.

Jon, you should change the color of the 8K or the 100K DIASTIK--they look nearly identical. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Anyway, here's the synthetic ruby I finished on the Matrix.

Jeff

Attachments:
500-4713.jpg
500-4713.jpg [ 96.52 KiB | Viewed 2135 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:09 am 

Quote:
Jon, you should change the color of the 8K or the 100K DIASTIK--they look nearly identical. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Oh, that's the built in "Excuse Feature"!
OK, more contrast next batch.
But all's well that ends well, and the stone shows it. I also noticed that pressure will dull the meets. Fast and light is my trick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:23 pm 

Alnitak wrote:
Thanks for the tip, Thomas. I'll try the Zirconium Oxide BATT Stick on the Matrix for the next quartz. On the Matrix, yes, the 8K was all wrong...I washed it out and I'm polishing a synthetic ruby on it right now--a few sweeps with 100K and the facets are perfect and flat. I prepolished on 8K on copper. This is big stone, so big facets yet super fast and super flat polish.
The Skyway is cleaned with a rubber eraser, correct? I figure its got something stuck in it.
Jeff

No eraser in this case. Like I said, run a bar of soap over the lap, then scrub with a new wet sponge and rinse with warm water.

Last edited by thomas.adamas on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:29 pm 
Valued Contributor

thomas.adamas wrote:
Alnitak wrote:
Jeff

No eraser in this case. Like I said, run a bar of soap over the lap, then scrub with a new wet sponger and rinse with warm water.

I was referring to cleaning the Skyway--is that what you are referring to? Clean it with soap and a sponge?

I did clean the Matrix with the soap and sponge and it worked well. I've used the eraser on the Greenway and Creamway. I assumed it was the same process for the Skyway.

Jeff

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next