New Mineral Named After GIA’s John Koivula
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Gemology Online Faceting Design Competition 2013 (!)
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:06 pm 
Platinum Member

Hey folks! After some very entertaining conversations on Facebook, I've decided to hold a faceting design competition. No entry fee, just a good old-fashioned internet squabble. With prizes! :mrgreen:

*I will be submitting designs for fun, but am removing myself from the competition, since that would be a massive conflict of interest.

Link to Entries

Link to Results

Competition design entries at bottom

Categories and Contests:

The competition has three categories of design specifications, each with two distinct contests, for a total of six possible finalists. The three categories hold different requirements on the shape of the stone, number of facets, etc. The two contests subdivide the categories into an objective point scale, and a subjective vote open to anyone. These will all be described below.

Categories
  • Minimalistic
  • Ostentatious
  • Vindictive
Contests:
  • Objective
  • Subjective

Category Explanations:

"Minimalistic":
  • Designs submitted in this category must have five-fold symmetry and be generally recognized as having a pentagonal shape. Mirror symmetry and/or radial symmetry is allowed.
  • Designs submitted in this category may not have more than 51 facets, including girdle facets.
  • Designs with fewer facets and tiers will earn more points.

"Ostentatious":
  • Designs submitted in this category must have three-fold symmetry and be generally recognized as having a trillion or triangular shape. Mirror symmetry and/or radial symmetry is allowed.
  • Designs submitted in this category must have 150 facets or more, including girdle facets.
  • Designs with more facets and tiers will earn more points.

"Vindictive":
  • Designs submitted in this category must have one-fold symmetry or zero-fold symmetry, and should not be generally recognized as having a regular polygonal shape. Acceptable shapes include, but are not limited to, pears, hearts, keystones, bullets, leaves, and "freeform" shapes. Mirror symmetry and/or radial symmetry is allowed.
  • Designs submitted in this category must have between 50 and 150 facets, including girdle facets.
  • The number of facets and tiers will not be used for scoring in this category.

Scoring:

Subjective Scoring:
There will be an open poll for 15 days after the submission deadline, allowing anyone to vote for their favorite design. Voters may vote once in each category, for a total of three votes. All votes are weighted the same. The design with the highest vote in each category becomes the Subjective contest finalist in that category.

Objective Scoring:
  • Data will be collected from GemRay with the designs as given, using the angles given in the diagram.
  • Three sets of data will be recorded: white quartz, white corundum, and white CZ. Data will be collected using the automatic tilt axis, a 30 degree tilt, and 10 degree head shadow.
  • The contributions to score from quartz, corundum, and CZ will be weighted as 2 : 1 : 1.
  • The design with the highest score in each category becomes the Objective contest finalist in that category.
  • The Objective scores will not be released until after the voting period is over, to prevent bias in voting.

Objective Scoring Parameters:
  • Face-up ISO brightness
  • Area under the curve for ISO, COS, and SC2 brightness
  • Number of facets
  • Number of tiers (as indicated on GemCAD by number of independent angle/index groups)

Finalist Contest:
Each design will have its Objective score (weighted) and Subjective score (weighted) combined. The design with the highest combination of score and votes wins.

Scoring Sheet Link
Excel Spreadsheet
To use the spreadsheet, render your design in GemRay as per the instructions. From the light output diagram, copy the text and paste it into a Notepad file. In Excel 2010, open the Notepad file, choose "Delimited", and then check the "Space" box under the list of delimiters. Then, copy and paste that information into the calculator spreadsheet, in the appropriate areas.

Submissions:

How to Enter:
  • To submit your design, send a copy of the diagram to faceting101@gmail.com. In the subject line, include your name and which category your entry is for. For example, "John Smith - Ostentatious". After submission, the design will be re-drawn in GemCAD to allow for a standardized size, and will be posted in this forum with names replaced by entry number.
  • Each competitor may enter a maximum of one design per category. Competitors may enter one, two, or all three categories.
  • A single design can become the finalist in both the Objective and the Subjective contests.
  • A single competitor, submitting one entry into each category, could become the finalist for all six spots and thus winner by default, by winning both the Objective and Subjective contests in every category. If this happens, I will be very suspicious.
    ಠ_ಠ
  • All entries will automatically be entered into both the Objective and the Subjective contest.
  • All designs submitted to the competition will be entered into the Gemology Project after the contest, in a "Faceting Design Contest 2013" section. Full credit will be given to the author of the design.
  • By submitting an entry, you agree that the design you submit is freely in the public domain.

Design Rules:
  • All designs must have a table (no apex cuts).
  • All designs must have a faceted girdle. The girdle is not required to be level (see Jeff Graham's "First Wave").
  • Diagrams which require the use of a CAM preform will be accepted. The CAM preform will not be included in the final facet count, but will be included in the final tier count.
  • All designs must be able to be generated in strict meetpoint fashion. Diagrams which use floating facets or step facets, diagrams that require measurement, and diagrams which cannot be recreated in meetpoint fashion will not be accepted. (Sorry!)
  • If your design cannot be generated in strict meetpoint fashion, you will be informed on where and how the design fails, and you will be allowed to resubmit after corrections.
  • Previously published designs will not be accepted.
  • Designs which show windowing at a tilt of -4* ≦ x ≦ +4 degrees will not be accepted. For this competition, windowing is defined as a failure of the pink-green light leak test within the borders of the table. (In GemRay, set the color of the stone to {1, 0.7, 1} and the light leak color to {0, 1, 0}.)
  • There is no advantage or disadvantage to submitting earlier or later in the submission period.
  • There is no advantage or disadvantage to voting earlier or later in the voting period.

Deadlines:
  • July 31st, 11:59 PM EST - Submission period for designs ends.
  • August 1st - Voting period begins.
  • August 15th, 11:59 PM EST - Voting period ends.
  • August 16th - Objective scores released. Finalists and Grand Prize winner announced.

Prizes:

Grand Prize:
Choose one of the following (donated by Jon Rolfe aka Gearloose):
  • An 8" BATT
  • A Matrix lap
  • A Pro Heavyweight Greenway lap
  • A Pro Heavyweight Creamway lap
  • A Pro Heavyweight Darkside lap

Finalist Prizes:
There are still more pieces of rough being added to the runner-up prizes. These will be distributed to the 5 runners-up, split evenly by approximate value.
Donated by Eric Normand:
  • Rose d'France, 55.46 ct
  • Light ametrine, 15.91 ct
  • Light amethyst, 15.82 ct (3 pieces)
  • Brazilian dark green-yellow closed-C tourmaline, 5.85 ct
  • Red rhodolite, 7.88 ct
  • African yellow grossular, 3.22 ct (included but nice)
  • Ethiopian Welo opal, 17.46 ct
Donated by Arya Akhavan:
  • Light blue sapphire, 2.45 ct
  • Tanzanian dark chrome tourmaline, 4.5 ct

Last edited by Faceting 101 by Arya on Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 26 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Gemology Online Faceting Design Competition 2013 (!)
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:12 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

Quote:
I've decided to hold a faceting design competition. No entry fee, no prizes, just a good old-fashioned internet squabble.

Since I am recused because I do not do CAD gemcutting design, but enjoy shaking things up, throwing the Apple of Discordia, and making things interesting....
I will donate to the winner their choice of an 8" Lap :
A BATT™ 8, A Pro Heavyweight (Creamway™, Greenway™, or Darkside™) or a Matrix™.
:smt077

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:51 pm 
Valued Contributor

Gearloose wrote:
Quote:
I've decided to hold a faceting design competition. No entry fee, no prizes, just a good old-fashioned internet squabble.

Since I am recused because I do not do CAD gemcutting design, but enjoy shaking things up, throwing the Apple of Discordia, and making things interesting....

That should inspire some great submissions :mrgreen: :smt026 :smt026 :smt117

No detail is too small. Think about it.
Leave no stone uncut.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:12 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Can we just give angles .indexes and meet points with a hand drawn some what accurate diagram?..I don't draw well and don't have any computor programs to do it for me.(gasps of horror from the readers here) :smt028

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:53 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Gearloose +1

a scholar and a gentleman.

Tony.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 pm 
Platinum Member

Gearloose wrote:

:smt060

Oh right. I'm trying to figure out a way to narrow the six possible winners down to one "final" winner, since it would be a dick move on my part to ask Jon to donate six laps. I'm also trying to see if I can get rough donated for prizes. Maybe the six winners could be finalists, and there would be a final narrowing-down to one winner...

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:38 pm 
Platinum Member

stairman wrote:
Can we just give angles .indexes and meet points with a hand drawn some what accurate diagram?..I don't draw well and don't have any computor programs to do it for me.(gasps of horror from the readers here) :smt028

Sure, no problem! Do a normal submission. You would post a hand-drawn picture of the angles, indices, and meetpoints. Then, I would draw it up in GemCAD for you, send it to you, see if that's what you meant, and if you approve we can swap your hand-drawn picture out for a GemCAD one.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:31 am 
Valued Contributor

Oh this will be fun to try out! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:16 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Arya Akhavan wrote:
Gearloose wrote:

:smt060

Oh right. I'm trying to figure out a way to narrow the six possible winners down to one "final" winner, since it would be a dick move on my part to ask Jon to donate six laps. I'm also trying to see if I can get rough donated for prizes. Maybe the six winners could be finalists, and there would be a final narrowing-down to one winner...

As this is billed as the 'Gemology Online Faceting Design Competition', may I suggest a final GemologyOnline poll could select an overall winner from the six finalists.

Duncan

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:33 am 
Valued Contributor

[/quote]

Very generous Jon.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:44 am 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

Quote:
Very generous Jon

Not considering the entertainment value and getting a bunch of new designs to try. People get plenty of intangible glory already, posting on the Off he Dop section. I have done this before for other online contests...If someone is thinking about entering, it could perhaps give them that little shove.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:58 pm 

Yay! Go Loose! =D>

158 designs at this point, well done people! Let's see if this contest causes the database to swell to 200!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:56 pm 
Gold Member

Not only the database is growing, but if you look at the list of the most popular pages you'll find:
1 - Home‏‎ (272,112 views)
2 - Table Of Contents‏‎ (113,532 views)
3 - Faceting Designs‏‎ (111,795 views)

Bronze medal, and we are ready to attack the Table of Contents. :twisted:

Arya, why do you hate apex tops and non-meetpoint facets so much? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:10 pm 
Valued Contributor

*Edit - removed pics.

Last edited by Eu_citzen on Fri May 17, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:42 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Great idea Arya!

So, if I understand well, the same design angles should work well with 3 very different RI materials? Sounds a bit strange this requirement...