January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Gearloose Diamatrix Prototype
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:23 am 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

The outer BATT band on the 8" Dominatrix is about 1.3" wide. The Diamatrix center is 5.43" in diameter.

On the 6" Dominatrix the outer BATT band is 1.2" and the center Dominatrix disk is 3.6".

Recently, this year at public request, the outer BATT bands have been widened by 0.1"

People report good results on quartz with the diamatrix material. The only reason people prefer Matrix for the oxides is because polish retention of the oxides is greater on the Matrix (Higher fractal dimension) and the Matrix is a little softer and gentler. The Diamatrix will develop sharper meets on harder materials. The Matrix will polish faster with oxides. That is why both laps are being made.
Usually, when a sudden improvement appears, as happened to the Matrix when the Diamatrix began to be tested, the former lap is discontinued, but the Matrix was so readily accepted and universally popular, it continues to be a product that is in demand. The Matrix is probably the easiest lap to use that has been made here, so is popular with instructors.
Even the Darkside had a minority of people who just could not get it to work, and of all skill levels-it was no reflection on them. This has never happened with the Matrix.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:30 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi all
it was in a different thread which I can't locate now but one advantage of the Dominatrix is, that you can prepolish and immediately polish a facet and than move on to the next one.

What about chiping while prepolishing on the next facet ? Or does this never happen on pre polish ?

Martin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:21 pm 
Gold Member

I only had that trouble once and it was a piece of CZ. It was nasty. Not only did it crack at the edge I was polishing but developed a fracture on the corner opposite the one I was polishing. I believe it was not properly stress relieved.

I have been testing a new 600 sintured lap, and it is leaving a lot of orange peel o the syntactics that I am cutting. I find that I the 13k does a good job of taking this down and it leaves a clean edge. The only real problem is that I have to leave enough material to get rid of the orange peel.

When I polish one face, I can see the rough edge from the orange peal. But it cleans up fine on the next facet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:22 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

This time , I am on the right place
With the help of Jon, I found the right topic for cutting Moissanite and the right material , God Bless all of you dedicating your time to better faceting.
All the best
:D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:24 pm 

These are wonderful to hear, and means everyone is doing right. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:12 am 

Hi
I just got a dominatrix.
When polishing a quartz on diamatrix with pandimonium 60k it leaves scratches. What am i doing wrong. I used water, should I use oil? . The lap also gets quite heated when polishing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:31 am 
Gold Member

14megapixel wrote:
Hi
I just got a dominatrix.
When polishing a quartz on diamatrix with pandimonium 60k it leaves scratches. What am i doing wrong. I used water, should I use oil? . The lap also gets quite heated when polishing.

Here's the link to the product https://gearloose.co/shop/dominatrix
Quote:
:The DIAMATRIX™ has been accepted and proven for a couple of years now. A hardened version of the MATRIX™ it is superior for the harder stones and has been routinely used in Moissanite production. It can be used with oxides for quartzes and softer stones as well.

Using diamond will almost always leave scratches, you can prepolish with diamond but polish with cerium oxide. There many users posts relating to this issue. Do some thread searches in this forum you'll find plenty of tips and tricks to try.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:32 am 
Gold Member

Lots of reasons for scratches. You may be using too much polish, for example. Actually, for polishing quartz, cerium oxide or zirconium oxide are better choices.

If the lap becomes heated, you're probably using way too much pressure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:21 am 

More pressure or more speed are not usually the right answers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:28 pm 
Valued Contributor

14megapixel wrote:
Hi
I just got a dominatrix.

Could be many reasons.
usually the lack of good pre-polish/moving too fast to the pre-polish while skipping higher grits in the cutting stage ,give the result of scratches and other problems in the final polish.
is the lap new? every new lap 'will require some break-in.
did you successfully polished other materials on it with the same combination of diamond & lubricant?
In general ,quartz is not so easy to polish.
for me it takes more time and repeats than any other material I worked with,and especially with Diamond powder.

Last edited by Dor on Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:02 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

14megapixel wrote:
Hi
I just got a dominatrix.

You may want to look into getting faceting lessons near where you reside. You will thank yourself for doing so.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:55 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

14megapixel wrote:
When polishing a quartz on diamatrix with pandimonium 60k it leaves scratches. What am i doing wrong.
Wash off the diamond paste with household detergent and a plastic scrubbing brush. Then polish the quartz with cerium oxide or zirconium oxide on the diamatrix. Use very little oxide - it should not even be visible on the lap or stone - and a very slow drip at slow speed with low pressure. I use an aerosol spray bottle just to dampen the lap.
When you polish harder stones with the diamond paste, use very little paste. I apply it, then wipe most of it off with a damp piece of paper towel before polishing. And I always polish at slow speed, around 300 rpm.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:25 am 

Yes, cerium oxide on diamatrix worked great.
But no matter what I do diamond polish always leaves scratches.
So this diamatrix lap is supposed to be used with oxide, at least for quartz.
Gave out great polish though. Prepolish on outer batt of Dominatrix and then polish on inner diamatrix with cerium oxide.
The heating is still an issue. Maybe speed should be reduced. Too bad i can't control it as my unitdoesn't have speed control.
I am thinking about using old big fan regulators to control the rpm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6