Deceember 15-17: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA: Wholesale and retail show; Gem Faire Inc, Scottish Rite Center; Fri. 12-6, Sat. 10-6, Sun. 10-5;
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Gearloose Diamatrix Prototype
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:23 am 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

The outer BATT band on the 8" Dominatrix is about 1.3" wide. The Diamatrix center is 5.43" in diameter.

On the 6" Dominatrix the outer BATT band is 1.2" and the center Dominatrix disk is 3.6".

Recently, this year at public request, the outer BATT bands have been widened by 0.1"

People report good results on quartz with the diamatrix material. The only reason people prefer Matrix for the oxides is because polish retention of the oxides is greater on the Matrix (Higher fractal dimension) and the Matrix is a little softer and gentler. The Diamatrix will develop sharper meets on harder materials. The Matrix will polish faster with oxides. That is why both laps are being made.
Usually, when a sudden improvement appears, as happened to the Matrix when the Diamatrix began to be tested, the former lap is discontinued, but the Matrix was so readily accepted and universally popular, it continues to be a product that is in demand. The Matrix is probably the easiest lap to use that has been made here, so is popular with instructors.
Even the Darkside had a minority of people who just could not get it to work, and of all skill levels-it was no reflection on them. This has never happened with the Matrix.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:30 pm 

Hi all
it was in a different thread which I can't locate now but one advantage of the Dominatrix is, that you can prepolish and immediately polish a facet and than move on to the next one.

What about chiping while prepolishing on the next facet ? Or does this never happen on pre polish ?

Martin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:21 pm 
Gold Member

I only had that trouble once and it was a piece of CZ. It was nasty. Not only did it crack at the edge I was polishing but developed a fracture on the corner opposite the one I was polishing. I believe it was not properly stress relieved.

I have been testing a new 600 sintured lap, and it is leaving a lot of orange peel o the syntactics that I am cutting. I find that I the 13k does a good job of taking this down and it leaves a clean edge. The only real problem is that I have to leave enough material to get rid of the orange peel.

When I polish one face, I can see the rough edge from the orange peal. But it cleans up fine on the next facet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6