January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Free samples for Dominatrix users.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:55 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

OK. Here.

These will not be on the store until the first week of May, because the entire store is being profe$$ionally rewritten. Paypal made some draconian changes to their already diabolically Faustian TOS, so I will not be using their cart services after 15 May.
On that new store will be welcome changes. It may even be readable.
Prices on the BATTSTIKs™ will be simplified and all types will be the same price. Same with the entire Diastik™ line. There was a time when different grit sizes had cost me a premium. This has ceased to apply because quantities have made suppliers take me seriously for a change.

So till then anyone who wants one of these, write me. They are officially released, but they are not going on the dropdown menu yet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:01 pm 
Gold Member

Quote:
IF I have been using 3000 on my domintrix, can I switch to 8000 and let it slowly trasition, or do I need to send it back and ave you re-surface it? I expect that if I switch over it will take a while before I get the full benefit.

It will slowly deplete. The difference between buried 6µ and loose 3µ is actually within a Standard Deviation of some of the common diamond powders, anyway. It shouldn't be, but...
The residual 3K charge is probably supplying an 8K finish or better, anyway.

Within a functional range things work out, that is polishing grit sizes of 60K to 100K will play nice, etc. Tragedies happen when people think they can take any cutting lap, put it in the dishwasher, and then polish on it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:10 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Yesterday morning I ‘repolished’ the crown of a ruby for a client. It was much easier with the 3k Waterprep/100k Blakstik combination on the Redwing than with standard Diastiks. Previously for recutting corundum I used 8k Diastik on the outer copper band and 100k Diastik polish on the inner BA5T. Even the 8k Diastik often left a ‘groovy’ finish that took a long time to polish out with the 100k Diastik. Now, with the 3k Waterprep the prepolish was more even and the polish came up very quickly with the Blakstik. It made the job noticeably quicker, and more enjoyable. After one charge, I recut all the facets on the Waterprep, polishing each immediately afterwards. Cleaning the facets was easier because once the diamond had been worked in and the excess cleaned off there was no more black gunk to remove. My fingers stayed clean. A slow water drip on the Waterprep prevented the stone from heating at all and the polishing was so quick, just a few sweeps, that the BA5T+Blakstik didn't need any cooling. I gave it a light mister spray once during the whole procedure, but I don't think even that was necessary. This really is a winning combination on the Redwing for corundum. (I haven't tried this combination on my Dominatrix lap, because I am reserving that for oxides.)
Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:24 pm 

I just realized that between the Blakstiks™ for polishing, the "Watercut" series of Diastiks™, and now the Diastik™ "Waterpreps™ for prepolishing, all stages of faceting can be done oil-free.

Sorry Iggy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:45 pm 

Gearloose wrote:
I just realized that between the Blakstiks™ for polishing, the "Watercut" series of Diastiks™, and now the Diastik™ "Waterpreps™ for prepolishing, all stages of faceting can be done oil-free.

Sorry Iggy.

Can the water-specific products also be used with oil, or will you continue to produce two separate versions? Just going back to the whole water-under-high-pressure issue with certain unlucky materials and weird surface chemistry effects - wouldn't want to lose the ability to switch back to nonpolar solvent if necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:12 pm 
Valued Contributor

I have switched from oil to water and back to oil on my copper laps without any issue.
Don't suggest doing that with a zinc lap though.

Wayne Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:34 pm 

Quote:
Can the water-specific products also be used with oil, or will you continue to produce two separate versions? Just going back to the whole water-under-high-pressure issue with certain unlucky materials and weird surface chemistry effects - wouldn't want to lose the ability to switch back to nonpolar solvent if necessary.

I have no intention of dropping the nonpolar products. Oil and diamond have been used together for centuries. And they do offer the alternative of completely bypassing any ionic chemical effects.
Remember that monocrystalline diamond is a lyophile at heart, and just because I can wrap it in a polymeric micelle with a fuzzy jacket of hydroxyls does not change that.
But the principle of having a water dispersable lyophile has a lot going for it. Ease of inspection, for one thing, as well as cleanliness. Another thing is the reduction of a residual oil film on the stone that can interfere with dop adhesion of the just finished pavilion (Or crown, if the person chooses). And of course the heat removal by water is triple that of oils. Then adding the lack of odor, and immunity to quartz fouling, makes a seductive list of things to like.
They are quiet to make, too. The disperser I have to use runs at frequencies even Ignatius cannot hear.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:36 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

Jon,
Do you plan to come out with any sticks that vibrate?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:42 pm 

Quote:
Do you plan to come out with any sticks that vibrate?

Parental Note Required.
Years ago, before everyone had a cellphone, a friend called me.
"Call me back and let it ring!"
"Why?"
"It was in my pocket and somehow it was on "Vibrate".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:10 pm 

Gearloose wrote:
Then adding the lack of odor, and immunity to quartz fouling, makes a seductive list of things to like.

Wait...the water-soluble ones are immune to quartz fouling? I thought the mechanism for quartz fouling was that quartz swarf from the cutting process dissolved in the high-pressure water under the stone, then precipitated back out in the gaps between diamonds.

For clarification, are the water-soluble or oil-soluble products more resistant to quartz fouling?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:25 am 

The water soluble versions resist quartz fouling because the medium is polar, as is the quartz (->Silicic acid) and while partial solvation and possible precipitation with some metals will occur, don't forget the dispersants and surfactants in the waterbased formulas.
With the cutting grits, they are used on a flat surface. Anything that tries to precipitate a film is doomed.
On a plated lap, there is a complex surface to be filled with mud during cutting. A "mud" that likes nickel. It likes nickel a lot.

Example: Those chemical "Neptune's Garden Under The Sea" type toys.
A container is filled with a dilute sodium silicate solution.
"Magic Crystals" are dropped in and delicate coral-like growths of silicate hydrate gels form.
Nickel Ammonium Sulfate: Mint green (JUST like you have seen on poorly cleaned laps.)
Cobalt Chloride: Pink
Ferric ammonium sulfate: Tan/brown
Calcium chloride: White (..And what does hard water do to a plated lap? All the Group IIA will precipitate silicates.)

There are others. Been a while since the Gilbert Chem sets. (I understand they are neutered now. No KNO3. Childhood is a quieter, more boring place.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:38 am 
Gold Member

Gearloose wrote:
Been a while since the Gilbert Chem sets. (I understand they are neutered now. No KNO3. Childhood is a quieter, more boring place.)

Fortunately for adventurous young folks, there's Spectracide Stump Remover.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:37 pm 

AlBalmer wrote:
Gearloose wrote:
Been a while since the Gilbert Chem sets. (I understand they are neutered now. No KNO3. Childhood is a quieter, more boring place.)

Fortunately for adventurous young folks, there's Spectracide Stump Remover.

Ohhhh this reminds me of my childhood :) There used to be a good formula for sugar smokescreens floating around that was 3:2 KNO3 and powdered sugar, and you'd ignite it with some KMnO4 and glycerol. We couldn't get KNO3 so we'd purify stump removers instead.

Oddly enough, KMnO4 was plentiful and cheaply available. Go figure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:24 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Gearloose wrote:
I have no intention of dropping the nonpolar products.

So, I noticed that your 8k WaterPrep is the same color as your 8k standard DiaStick. Have you considered adding a different colorant?

Or you could use Color Universal Design and make it smell pretty ;)

Patuxent Lapidary Guild

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:51 pm 

The grit size is more important than the type. Just trying for SOME consistency.
There's always the last resort. The labels are different!

And no scents. Whatever one did, a significant number of people would hate it. If I made it smell like roses, some people would complain they wanted garlic.
I actually worked with perfume essences for a project once. I became desensitized and could not smell them. After work, on days where I worked with many different ones I would stop at a store and people would edge away from me. Some would STARE. It took a long time to figure it out.

They thought I was CHEAP.