It is with great sadness I'd like to announce Dr. Hanneman passed away on December 12, 2020. His legacy will live on forever!
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Amethyst Lot
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:18 am 

Hi Forum
My first Post.

I just got back my first lot of stone that I bought rough, and had cut. It was half a Kilo when I bought it, I ended up with 200 carats of faceted stone. After all the dust settled I spent around $750.00. How do you think I did?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73898026@N00/219951654/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73898026@N00/219951649/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73898026@N00/219951652/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:25 pm 
Platinum Member

Hi mikeythai,

I'm sure it's very satisfying to buy rough, have it cut and enjoy the finished product.

Don't know the current wholesale prices of amethyst, but at your net cost of $3.75 per ct., it's probably a median range on cut goods. Finer larger stones a bit more and commercial quality a bit less.

The amethyst market pricing has taken a bit of a hit with the proliferation of so much synthetic material out there.

Hopefully all of your material is calibrated. Non calibrated cuts in semi precious faceted goods will be harder to market.

What are your plans for this material?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:36 pm 
Platinum Member

Hi,

There are some very nice stones in that lot.
I just wonder how they got from 2500 to 200cts? Where did you have them cut and maybe at what price (if I may be so bold to ask).

Less than 10% yield doesn't sound like very much. Although the total price sounds good.

p.s.: it is customary here for new members to send out freeby stones to the members.

Last edited by Doos on Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:38 pm 

Hi JB
You're right it has been a really interesting process. I'm new in the field, so buying then cutting semi precious rough is hopefully getting me to the point where I can move on to precious rough.

I have a jewelry line that I'll use the smaller goods on. I will likely have to re-cut some of it. Even with a re-cut the price per carat should be OK.

The larger material is another story. I'll probably hold on to it, and plan some pieces with larger stones for next year.

I'm convinced it is natural stone most of the rough displayed a proper crystal habit, and the faceted stone shows light to moderate color zoning.

Thanks for the tip as far as calibrating semi precious goods. My instructions were to give me quality stones as large as the rough would allow. Obviously I have more to learn.

I'm really happy with the color though...deep purple with red flashes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:03 pm 

The rough was pretty included, alot of cracks and white patches dendritic inclusions. After preforming they did give me a nice bag of cracked and included material suitable for maybe the bottom of a fishbowl.

The cutting was done in Bangkok for around $300 including some broker/handling for my Thai friend.

As for:p.s.: it is customary here for new members to send out freeby stones to the members.

I never have been one to follow customs.....but I'll sell you some really pretty semi precious fishbowl gravel cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:25 pm 
Platinum Member

Lol, can't blame a boy for trying.
Nice that you joined us and thanks for the information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:30 pm 
Platinum Member

mikeythai,

Figuring material and cutting costs at $1,050 and estimating $200 broker costs (you didn't include your shipping costs), you have an average cost of $6.25+/ct. Average-to-better quality amethyst retails in my area for between $6 and $12/ct. As JB points out, it has to compete with synthetic which more or less sets the price these days since it looks great and there's an endless supply.:(

Fine bright, clean well-cut stones with little color zoning and Siberian-type red flash should bring quite a bit more. Some of your lighter uncalibrated stones will bring less. Your better stones (and you have some nice ones!) might do better set in jewelry.

On any cutting lot you have to play the averages and have a game plan for disposing of stones you can't use. Ebay comes to mind but it's not cheap for the seller and there's lots of competition -- from Bangkok.
Rick Martin aka ROM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:58 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi all,

I am always pleased when someone goes to the trouble to go through the whole exercise of buying rough, cutting and then trying to get a profit out the other end. It is a great learning experience. It can be difficult but you have been wise in picking a cheap stone to start.

So often in this gem game, 1+1 doesnt equal 2. If you know good suppliers, often buying just the specific cut gems you need will usually work out much cheaper. Sometimes cut stone is sold for less then the current price of rough going into the system? This happens a lot where certain gems from a parcel are sold for profit and others below cost just to achieve cash for that next job. This is one of the reasons prices are all over the place.

Good luck with your parcel - the colour looks good. Maybe think carefully before re-cutting as the extra cost just might not be worth the input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:11 am 

Rom
I have $750.00 in this lot total. I bought the rough for $450 + 300 for cutting and fees, so JB was correct about the $3.75 per carat. No shipping because I live in Thailand.

I’ve never seen top quality Amethyst here. Usually the paler stones are what I see in the market. Admittedly I didn’t search that hard. What is a reasonable price for the Siberian type stones? This isn’t for re-sale, I just need to know what to charge for my jewelry invoices.

Aussie Sapphire

This entire exercise has been about learning how to buy rough and cut. I could have bought cut stones, but I wouldn’t have learned anything. Also as was said above, I could have easily ended up putting synthetic stones in my jewelry.

The other obvious benefit is quality. The stones I see in the market are often the mid and lower quality, with a price that doesn’t necessarily reflect that quality level. By cutting myself I get that first look at the goods.

With regard to re-cutting: As I said above my instructions to the cutter should have been to give me calibrated sizes…lesson learned. Re-cutting here is pretty cheap though. I think I’ll be OK even with another cut.

Thanks for all your responses, it’s really nice to get feedback and info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:27 pm 
Platinum Member

mikeythai wrote:
Rom
I have $750.00 in this lot total. I bought the rough for $450 + 300 for cutting and fees, so JB was correct about the $3.75 per carat. No shipping because I live in Thailand.

JB aka Mr. Majestic is seldom wrong -- why did I doubt him? :oops: Only because I misread and thought the $300 was in addition to the $750, plus an estimate for the brokerage fee you mentioned.

Re: color. Synthetic amethyst has had a big impact on amethyst pricing. You might be interested in this previous GemologyOnline thread: http://www.gemologyonline.com/Forum/php ... 0fbb6dcd29

I've seen amethyst prices all over the place for the same quality stone. Much depends on size up to around 25 carats. At that point per-carat prices begin to decline. Pricing also depends on the specific market you're selling to and the kind of provenance you can provide for natural origin. Lab testing is expensive.

"The Guide" defines the finest amethyst color as "reddish puple in incandescent light and bluish purple in daylight." That's pretty much in line with grading I've seen in the marketplace. It lists average retail prices for the very best stones in the 10 to 25 carat range as between $70 to $90/ct. But to paraphrase a well-known motto: All pricing is local.

Rick Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:31 pm 
Valued Contributor

mikeythai wrote:
Rom
Aussie Sapphire
With regard to re-cutting: As I said above my instructions to the cutter should have been to give me calibrated sizes…lesson learned. Re-cutting here is pretty cheap though. I think I’ll be OK even with another cut.

Thanks for all your responses, it’s really nice to get feedback and info.

I missed that you were in Thailand - as you say, recutting would be reasonable. If we have to recut a smaller or cheaper stone here in Australia for some reason, the cost can soon blow out to swallow up potential profit as the cutting charges are much higher. The costs:benefits are much different on large and expensive stones so can be worth recutting in those situations.

cheers

Post subject: amethyst
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:51 pm 
Platinum Member

At the tucson show I got to high grade siberian top grade amethyst from uraguay. The mine owner was there, I got great red flash, little to no zoning, the points were 10 -30 cts each. The price was $13.00 a gram = $2.60 per ct. I looked at a lot of other stuff.. this was the best i saw. I bought about 300 grams of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:09 am 

jleb

That sounds like a great price. Someday I gotta get to the Tuscon Show.