January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Advise on Emerald recut
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:19 am 
Valued Contributor

Hello , I don't know if it is workable but have to ask , advise is needed from an experienced US based cutter on this emerald . Aim is to ultimately sell in US market after a face lift. Stone owner is on the move in US presently in Dallas until 9th then will move to Savannah Georgia for at least two weeks. He can show the stone in person to anyone in that area.

I have to provide this as an after sales service , though the sale took place several years back. Pls help if you can .

Image,Image,Image,

Pls advise either here or through pm...thx

Mazhar

Post subject: Re: Advise on Emerald recut
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:53 pm 

Fixed that for you.

That said, I don't think it's clear what you're asking, so you're not super likely to get an answer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:54 pm 
Valued Contributor

Thx for fixing that Scaro.

Basically we are looking for a cutter preferably in Savannah or adjacent areas . The stone owner has asked me to find out if he can make such a connection.
Since this my first such exercise I am not aware how cutters in US operate so pls advise if there is a way to hook up with an experienced person .

hope that has some clarity.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:57 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

If the stone is as fractured as the photos show, it will be a brave cutter who would attempt a recut.
I have tried to recut some fractured Beryls, but never again. I'm lucky they were my own, because they no longer exist, as gems,
just a bunch of fragments!
I look forward to hearing how you go, and to see the result.
Barry.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:18 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

This topic should have been posted in Lapidary Corner: Colored Stones

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:19 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Question is, what does the owner want it recut *for*? What features now present is the recut intended to minimize? Is the polish imperfect and in need of refining? Is the shape unsatisfactory? Is there damage somewhere? Or conversely what features not presently, or not sufficiently, developed should the recut enhance? The fact that these questions are not addressed I suspect would make any reputable cutter profoundly shy of touching this thing at all.

Cheers all
Hans Durstling
Moncton, Canada

Ecclesiastes 10:19

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:05 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Qld Barry wrote:
If the stone is as fractured as the photos show, it will be a brave cutter who would attempt a recut.
I have tried to recut some fractured Beryls, but never again. I'm lucky they were my own, because they no longer exist, as gems,
just a bunch of fragments!
I look forward to hearing how you go, and to see the result.
Barry.

As Barry stated, the fractures look to reach the surface to the keel of the stone. She is also a fat lady bottom side, to cut for a good angle in my opinion would be a huge risk to the stone and the cutters nerves. i donot see damage on the stone with those photo's given, i would leave it the way it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:37 am 
Valued Contributor

Thx for your inputs , especially the ones highlighting the risk , some frightening prospects there. An observation in person would perhaps lead to a different conclusion however.

As to the question why the re cut ; it is deep and nicked .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:07 am 
Valued Contributor

Two more angles;

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:09 pm 
Gold Member

To cut this more safely, if I were doing it, I would not consider it unless I was able to treat it with epoxy first. You cannot judge completely from the pictures, but that chip and crack make it look like it is a grenade waiting to go off. To get a recut, you will have to sign a release from responsibility for damages. That would be the only way I would cut it.

PS - I have 3 pieces of amethyst sitting on my machine downstairs for a friend and they have been waiting too... so it won't be me. That and the sling from the removal of a bone spur in my rotator cuff ... :)

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:41 pm 
Valued Contributor

I have re-cut about a dozen emeralds like that pictured in your posting.
They present unique problems some of which have been described in prior
posts, others include the possibility of cutting through the color zone, leaving
the stone may shades lighter than what you started with and opening up
fissures in the stone into which cutting swarf may lodge, resulting in an ugly
black spot or seam in the stone.

So, you now have a whole, lovely green stone of a certain value. Before you
have the stone re-cut, be sure you have some reason to believe that the value
of the stone will be increased by the re-cutting. If not, don't do it! Nice colored
emeralds over 5 carats are not easy to come by. Major re-cutting will certainly reduce
the weight below 5 carats. At best, I would look for someone experienced in
cutting emeralds and have them re-polish the table and crown facets and square
up the girdle facets

Tom Kidwell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:22 pm 
Gold Member

TOM KIDWELL wrote:
Major re-cutting will certainly reduce the weight below 5 carats. At best, I would look for someone experienced in
cutting emeralds and have them re-polish the table and crown facets and square up the girdle facets

Tom Kidwell
Now that is great advise Tom K.

http://www.rogerdery.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:35 am 
Gold Member

mrb wrote:
As to the question why the re cut ; it is deep and nicked .

Deep is good in emerald, the nick...not so much. My concern with this stone is that the nick would be at the surface end of a fracture. In my experience these things need to be handled with kid gloves so that you don't find yourself chasing continuing nicks at the fracture and cut the stone down to a little nub. I agree with the others here, the less cutting used to just remove the nick and make things square and symmetrical, the better.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:29 am 
Valued Contributor

These are very valuable words and duly conveyed to the owner . Thx sirs . Since gurus are in a giving mood may I ask one more silly question.

This emerald does not need much light to shine , in fact does better in shade or dim dim lights because brighter lights expose all that is inside. There is a kill joy white wispy inclusion running beneath the table whereas much of the pavilion is clear , it appears a cab would be much more successful than a faceted one here. Would the risk be still the same as cutting the stone ; can the table be left as it is and pavilion made into a sugar loaf cab which it already resembles? What is the market acceptibility for such a shape?

One tends to overlook how generous it is for an otherwise busy person to take time out to understand and respond to someone's queries . Truly appreciated.

Mazhar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:14 pm 
Gold Member

mrb wrote:
There is a kill joy white wispy inclusion running beneath the table whereas much of the pavilion is clear , it appears a cab would be much more successful than a faceted one here.

Successful at hiding wispy inclusion? Sure that would work in hiding the inclusion, but I doubt that a cab would end up having a great value than a faceted stone of equal weight, unless the cab looked
a LOT better than the faceted stone.

Quote:
Would the risk be still the same as cutting the stone ; can the table be left as it is and pavilion made into a sugar loaf cab which it already resembles?

Yes, the risk is in further chipping or breaking the stone through any of the fractures present. Abrading a stone on a lap has the highest risk with coarse laps and the risk lowers dramatically with finer laps. A careful
cutter would most likely not use anything finer than a fresh 1200 grit lap to do any cutting of any kind on this stone. Yes, it would be rather simple to recut this as a sugarloaf cab, but once again will it pay off?

Quote:
What is the market acceptibility for such a shape?

Which market are you talking about, (where do you intend to sell this?). An individual selling one stone at a time is at a distinct disadvantage in that there really is no organized market of any repute, (none that will bring anywhere
close to what they have probably paid for the stone initially). I have no experience with auction houses, do they even sell loose gems of this caliber for individuals? Selling on E-Bay is generally a loser, as is trying to
sell to a retailer. You might ask around with some of the wholesale gem sellers and see if they have any interest or advice which would be more pertinent to this situation.

My suggestion would be to see just where you might sell this and even try and pre-sell it contingent upon a successful re-cut. This way at least you will get a good indicator of what the end buyer wants and what you can expect
to gain from doing anything to this gem. Best of luck and please do update us on how this progresses for you and your friend.

Michael E.