January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: “Amateur Gemstone Faceting” book by Tom Herbst
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:08 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Just received my books of “Amateur Gemstone Faceting” by Tom Herbst! All I can say after a first quick look is WOW! I really love it, contents coverage, informal language, pictures, sidebar notes!... Looks like The New Testament for precision faceting has arrived!

Check it here: http://www.facetingbook.com/

I’ve been really into faceting for the last 5 years, and I’m making good money on it, but even in the first volume called “Essentials” I’m finding lots of new valuable information!

CONGRATULATIONS TOM! GREAT JOB!!! =D> =D> =D>

BTW, in my opinion “Amateur” is too modest for this book. “The Bible of Gemstone Faceting” would be more appropriate. :D And also the price looks incredible modest for this “pure gold” book! :smt023

Last edited by Egor Gavrilenko on Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: “Amateur Gemstone Faceting” book by Tom Herbst
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:57 am 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

Yes, I have looked at just the site so far, and put a page link up to it.
There is an awful lot of labor there, and I think he is giving them away.

There is a lot of old, outdated information that often causes people more problems than it solves, when they are trying to learn faceting. We really do need more current contributions.
While the history in these old tomes is interesting reading, I liken some of them to my 1889 edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica. I would read it for entertainment, but would I use it as a working reference? Of course not.
I also have a copy of the 1940 National Formulary. How would someone feel if their doctor whipped one down from the shelf, and said, "Three Bromides Elixer ! Just what you need!- A whole Dram of it!!" Image

So, I can see a learning gemcutter going to some of these old sources, and think of debugging a Mac or PC using an old RDOS manual. Sounds silly, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:30 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Needless to say, Tom Herbst is also the author of the legendary BOG program... http://www.boghome.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:04 am 
Gold Member

I just ordered the books. If the website is any indication of the quality of the books, I won't be disappointed. On the website, Tom provides additional information and links, and ... Wigglegrams! (Don't ask, just go look.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:34 am 
Valued Contributor

I too just ordered the books, which I believe is very well priced... if not cheap. Thanks Tom !!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:07 am 
Valued Contributor

I got Toms books last friday and stick my nose into them for every single spare minute I've got since then.
Lot's of valuable information for advanced faceters, but also very well put together for beginners.
I absolutely second Egor on calling these books “The Bible of Gemstone Faceting”

Not only worth every penny - it's real bargain.

Thanks a bunch Tom!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:07 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

In the late 1980's, I wrote a manuscript on both diamond cutting and colored stone faceting. I picked it out of my files a couple months ago and reviewed it. Most of the diamond cutting information is still current, but colored stone faceting technology has come a long way since 1988. I would never publish the colored stone stuff today as it is now mostly obsolete. I think Tom Herbst is doing a great deal to advance faceting with these books.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:30 pm 

This new book series by Tom is incredible. Way, way better than anything I'd ever be able to put out, in the magical fairyland where I actually have free time to do anything. Looks like I need to buy these :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:44 pm 
Platinum Member

Just bought my set.. the kicker was the arduino sketch in downloads on the site with the instructions on building a stop meter for your machine!! This guy did B.O.G which is a killer program!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:46 pm 
Platinum Member

thomas.adamas wrote:
In the late 1980's, I wrote a manuscript on both diamond cutting and colored stone faceting. I picked it out of my files a couple months ago and reviewed it. Most of the diamond cutting information is still current.

Hey, I'll be glad to look at your diamond info.. always wanted to know how you cut those.. there isn't anything out there at all..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:15 pm 

Literally my only complaint is that Tom doesn't use G for girdle facets. I'm annoyingly anal about this kind of thing, even though there is next to no value other than making it easier to scan a design :mrgreen:

Everything else I've seen on the preview page is flawless. Well done.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:30 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

jleb wrote:
thomas.adamas wrote:
In the late 1980's, I wrote a manuscript on both diamond cutting and colored stone faceting. I picked it out of my files a couple months ago and reviewed it. Most of the diamond cutting information is still current.

Hey, I'll be glad to look at your diamond info.. always wanted to know how you cut those.. there isn't anything out there at all..

There is Basil Watermeyer's book 'Diamond Cutting', if you can find a copy. Some professional diamond cutters have assured me it is a very good manual, but coming from a coloured-stone faceting background I found the cutting instructions obscure and difficult to follow when trying to cut cubic zirconia to Watermeyer's designs. If Thomas produced a modern diamond cutting manual I think it would find an appreciative readership even among those who don't themselves cut diamonds.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:03 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

Duncan,
Basil's book is excellent. I bought a copy of his first edition back in 1982.
Well, next year sometime, I guess I will edit and publish my manuscript into a book (less the obsolete colored stone material).
Have a few projects to complete beforehand, but I have put this on my list.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:53 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Arts and Tools

My books came today. When the box was delivered, I assumed I had ordered metal. It was heavy. And two inches thick.
I can only give first impressions and probably will not be able to give a comprehensive review, because at my age, I'll never finish reading it.
I will use the singular and call the two volume set a "Book".

This is a lifetime reference book because the reader can enjoy the friendly beginner lessons, but can at will, dive as deeply into gemcutting, and the Physics, Chemistry, and Math of Faceting any time they wish.
At 836 total pages, there cannot be much left out.
What could have been a dreary academic slog is lightened by levity and explanation.
I had to laugh at "Sines of the times-A Trigonometric primer". And don't groan-if you have not needed Trig yet, you WILL eventually, as you get deeper and deeper into faceting- IF you wish.

Regardless of a person's experience, chapter 5 should be read, "Gem 101: Your First Gemstone".
No one will ever admit it, but most people will find they have learned bad habits or believed bad assumptions from the first stone they ever cut.
Consider this chapter to be a Boot In Safe Mode, or Disk Error Checking, to clean out the errors that have crept into our shops and minds unnoticed.

And just to do a System Reset on myself I have taken down from the shelf some of the Grand Old Revered works most of us have. They were good in their time, and helpful, still. But.
That was then. To begin, Publishing itself has changed, as have the printing processes. This book can easily be kept current. There are no etched copper or zinc halftone plates.

There remains the human puzzle of where Tom ever found the time to write it, though. I could not have done it. It must have been a Herculean effort.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:07 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I just ordered a copy too. At $35 and change for the two volumes, I don't understand the economics of it. The printing and binding alone would seem to preclude making any money on this!

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to it. I have to confess my main motivation was the Chapter 20 DIY Projects section.

Like the others, can't believe he found time to do this... I've had a 1/10th completed reference book for some software remain 1/10th completed for over 5 years now. It's now too outdated and will never be finished.

-Allan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next