October 9—FALLBROOK, CALIFORNIA: Annual show; Fallbrook Gem and Mineral Society; Fallbrook Gem and Mineral Museum, 123 W. Alvarado Street; Sun. 9-4; Free; Free admission to show and museum, free parking. Free booths for nonprofit groups promoting minerals, gems, or fossils.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: 2016 USFG Single Stone Competition ???
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:27 pm 
Established Member

Could someone publish a design for the year 2016 from the December issue of the newsletter? Thank You. Granat

Post subject: Re: 2016 USFG Single Stone Competition ???
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:43 pm 

The Novice, Pre-Master, and Master designs are all actually available on the Gemology Project :D

http://gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.p ... -_Treforze
http://gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.p ... a_Quake311
http://gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.p ... nt_Horizon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:47 pm 
Established Member

Faceting 101 by Arya wrote:

Super ! You did me good mood boys! Thank you. :D
One more question: MATERIAL and SIZE (for pre-master and master)?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:07 pm 
Valued Contributor

Pre-master diagram for the competition is different than one on the GemologyProject, it has different cutting sequence and L/W - check the latest Newsletter for details.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:31 pm 
Platinum Member

Congratulations to Arya to getting not one but two of his designs chosen for the USFG competition stones!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:58 pm 

Hehe...umm...I may or may not be on the committee... XD

But in all seriousness, the only design I voted on that was one of my own was the Novice level. The one for the Master level wasn't my choice but everyone else seemed to like it. We're still working on definitive guidelines for how to pick designs, but I think this year we did a much better job of having a difficulty gradient, a variety of different designs, and a mix of more classic-style and more modern-style designs.

(Any comments or thoughts?)

And good catch Vlad - there were some minor bugs with the Pre-Master design that we fixed.

Materials:
Novice - any material, any color, width 10mm +/- 2.0mm, girdle width 0.4mm +/- 0.2mm
Pre-Master - synthetic spinel, any color, length 16mm +/- 0.2mm, girdle width 0.3mm +/- 0.2mm
Master - natural or synthetic quartz, any color, width 12mm +/- 0.1mm, girdle width 0.3mm +/- 0.1mm
Grand Master - cubic zirconia, any color, width 14mm +/- 0.1mm, girdle thickness 0.3mm +/- 0.1mm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:30 pm 
Valued Contributor

A reminder to those who wish to enter... You must be a member of the USFG to compete. And as such, you will be provided design access and details. The best $18 spent on faceting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:57 pm 
Platinum Member

drsue wrote:
A reminder to those who wish to enter... You must be a member of the USFG to compete. And as such, you will be provided design access and details. The best $18 spent on faceting.

I have never joined any of these clubs, or gone to any "frolics" etc. To me, take the $18, buy a decent garnet rough, cut it sell, then take that money, and buy a $150 rough, cut it sell it, then take that $300 and buy a better rough, cut it sell.......

I read so much about people at these clubs spending so much money on laps and tools, then turn around and cut marbles. It makes no sense. One could cut most stones with just 3 laps. Invest in real rough.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:58 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hehe...umm...I may or may not be on the committee... XD

different designs, and a mix of more classic-style and more modern-style designs.

(Any comments or thoughts?)

And good catch Vlad - there were some minor bugs with the Pre-Master design that we fixed.

Materials:
Novice - any material, any color, width 10mm +/- 2.0mm, girdle width 0.4mm +/- 0.2mm
Pre-Master - synthetic spinel, any color, length 16mm +/- 0.2mm, girdle width 0.3mm +/- 0.2mm
Master - natural or synthetic quartz, any color, width 12mm +/- 0.1mm, girdle width 0.3mm +/- 0.1mm
Grand Master - cubic zirconia, any color, width 14mm +/- 0.1mm, girdle thickness 0.3mm +/- 0.1mm

What bugs were fixed on pre-masters stone? Have details of the design been changed from what was published in the Volume 25 Number 4 Newsletter? Nothing was sent out to the membership to my knowledge. Well anyway, a 16 mm stone is a pretty ridiculous size to require for this level of competition. Hopefully next year, clearer heads will prevail.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:47 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

Precision Gem wrote:
I have never joined any of these clubs, or gone to any "frolics" etc. To me, take the $18, buy a decent garnet rough, cut it sell, then take that money, and buy a $150 rough, cut it sell it, then take that $300 and buy a better rough, cut it sell.......
I read so much about people at these clubs spending so much money on laps and tools, then turn around and cut marbles. It makes no sense. One could cut most stones with just 3 laps. Invest in real rough.

I don't think they facet for a living like you do. They do it purely for the excitement of the challenge and camaraderie.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:07 am 

micra wrote:
What bugs were fixed on pre-masters stone?

The construction in GemCAD is off. If you look at the design on the GP in GemCAD, the pavilion meetpoint {1, 2, 6} doesn't actually meet. The "2" tier is cut too far away from the meet, so it artificially inflates the L/W ratio. If you try to cut the design as written in the original, you'll end up with an "off" L/W ratio and the rest of the facets on the crown won't meet properly.
Quote:
Have details of the design been changed from what was published in the Volume 25 Number 4 Newsletter? Nothing was sent out to the membership to my knowledge.

I *think* that something was sent out, but I'm not sure. Will check.
Quote:
Well anyway, a 16 mm stone is a pretty ridiculous size to require for this level of competition. Hopefully next year, clearer heads will prevail.

This was based more on face-up surface area than anything else. We usually set sizes around 12mm for squares, and that gives a face-up surface area of 144mm^2. For this oval, with a length of 16mm and a width of about 12, the face-up surface area is 150mm^2, pretty dang close to what we normally shoot for. Plus, since synthetic spinel comes in large, whole boules anyway, it doesn't run into a problem of material availability.

Thanks for bringing up the size issue micra - we'll add some kind of guideline for size recommendations for next year, so that when we're selecting materials and sizes we'll stick with a standard. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:29 am 
Gold Member

Really dumb question.

I read the rules, and understand why you can not have any one look at or comet on the stone o submit. I am fine with that.

Can I cut a practice stones that are not submitted, and have people look at them. I assume that since they are not submitted it would not be a problem.

I often make some notes about a stone (missed meets, scratches....) Then I ask people at the club to look at it. I am getting to the point that i see most of them. But I still miss some, adn I have them show me how to look at the stone to see the error.

I am glad when they can teach me how to find an error. That way I might be able to catch them when they are on the dop and fix them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:29 am 
Valued Contributor

Quote:

You darn kids, get out of my apple tree.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:05 am 
Platinum Member

thomas.adamas wrote:
Precision Gem wrote:

I don't think they facet for a living like you do. They do it purely for the excitement of the challenge and camaraderie.

I'm sure you are right, I do forget about that. I would think that even as a hobby cutter, there would be more excitement in cutting something of value than marble, glass, and lab created stones.

With a full time "day job", and the cutting business, I really don't have time for these types of clubs or camaraderie. Any spare time I have is helping my wife with her puppy mill work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:28 am 
Gold Member

Quote:
What bugs were fixed on pre-masters stone? Have details of the design been changed from what was published in the Volume 25 Number 4 Newsletter? Nothing was sent out to the membership to my knowledge.

The corrected newsletter is on the website. Mark Oros emailed the membership on 12/17.